fusee invalid gpt when upgrading to larger sd

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That flawed GPT issue should probably be addressed. You’ve got something funky going on there. A low level format will guarantee that it can be fixed (or there’s something wrong with the card.)
Tried Rufus for that, and even tried the steps on the hekate method on that other link.

It just won't boot properly; won't even let me boot to hekate or atmosphere on the new card. It just keeps kicking back the "Invalid gpt signature" error.

It just tells me press power for reboot. It won't even let me launch the hekate payload, either.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Rufus for that, and even tried the steps on the hekate method on that other link.

It just won't boot properly; won't even let me boot to hekate or atmosphere on the new card. It just keeps kicking back the "Invalid gpt signature" error.

It just tells me press power for reboot. It won't even let me launch the hekate payload, either.
So crazy…let’s try this on your PC with the SDCard plugged in.

1. Open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as Administrator

2. Type in diskpart in the command line.

3. Type in list disk to see all your disks and which one is GPT styled. The GPT based disk is marked with asterisk icon in the last column Gpt. Make sure it’s the same size as yiur SDCard…we don’t want to mess with any other disks on your PC.

delete-gpt-partition

4. Choose the disk you want to delete GPT by typing select disk n (remember to change n to your disk number).

5. After the disk is selected, you can clean the disk by typing in clean.

clean-gpt-partition

6.Now you can check again and see that your disk is not GPT anymore.

Hopefully this gets rid of the bad GPT table…

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of this makes any sense to me at this time. Why the hell does a GPT even matter? if it's anything like an MBR, then why is it that my original one works without a valid one, but the system wants to pitch a fit with this one?

I'm already frustrated I had to delete all my romsets of the original to even back up the emunand like the hekate instructions want me to do. Has yet to matter how many times I've wiped or reformatted the new card.

for frame of reference. Old card is a Gigastone brand 256GB model. New one is a 1TB Sandisk Ultra. Only pulled the trigger both because of reviews and basically every google search result and their dog saying that's the only one worth getting for use in a Nintendo Switch.

Looking at list disk, it shows the SD card isn't GPT or Dyn, either. So, far as I can tell, it never had a GPT to begin with. Why the hell would the Switch care so much as to literally block me from using it?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of this makes any sense to me at this time. Why the hell does a GPT even matter? if it's anything like an MBR, then why is it that my original one works without a valid one, but the system wants to pitch a fit with this one?
GPT is an alternative to MBR. It should have been destroyed with rufus.
I'm already frustrated I had to delete all my romsets of the original to even back up the emunand like the hekate instructions want me to do. Has yet to matter how many times I've wiped or reformatted the new card.

for frame of reference. Old card is a Gigastone brand 256GB model. New one is a 1TB Sandisk Ultra. Only pulled the trigger both because of reviews and basically every google search result and their dog saying that's the only one worth getting for use in a Nintendo Switch.
SanDisk is the right card to buy, but with every product there is a certain percentage that are DOA.
Looking at list disk, it shows the SD card isn't GPT or Dyn, either. So, far as I can tell, it never had a GPT to begin with. Why the hell would the Switch care so much as to literally block me from using it?
That’s interesting. The Switch can recognize MBR or GPT. Not sure why your PC wouldn’t recognize the same.

Let’s run h2testw on this guy to confirm the card is good.

h2testw — test to determine if your SD Card is good or not.

Reactions: Hayato213

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GPT is an alternative to MBR. It should have been destroyed with rufus.

SanDisk is the right card to buy, but with every product there is a certain percentage that are DOA.

That’s interesting. The Switch can recognize MBR or GPT. Not sure why your PC wouldn’t recognize the same.

Let’s run h2testw on this guy to confirm the card is good.

h2testw — test to determine if your SD Card is good or not.
Whelp. Since it looked like I wasn't getting anywhere, did the diskpart thing, formatted with the SD card formatter utility on windows and now running h2test again. of course testing this much capacity is taking a literal eternity.

• Sad
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry we don’t have more details but issues at this level must be addressed before we can continue with the next layers.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warning: Only 976309 of 976312 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
953.4 GByte OK (1999456384 sectors)
11.9 MByte DATA LOST (24448 sectors)
Details:9.0 MByte overwritten (18560 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
2.8 MByte corrupted (5888 sectors)
9.0 MByte aliased memory (18560 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000016cf0000
Expected: 0x0000000016cf0000
Found: 0x6e4b8b1461a7de28
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 33.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 78.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

• Angry
Reactions: binkinator

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn…that;s not good. Not much to do here but return it. 🙁
I'm still at a loss, while I wait for a replacement to ship (wow, Amazon being nice for once). How could such a (relatively) small error space basically cause the Switch to want nothing to do with this name brand card, while the (relative) off brand one I've been using is still trucking along?

Again, still makes no sense to me.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still at a loss, while I wait for a replacement to ship (wow, Amazon being nice for once). How could such a (relatively) small error space basically cause the Switch to want nothing to do with this name brand card, while the (relative) off brand one I've been using is still trucking along?

Again, still makes no sense to me.
If the bits flip when you don’t want them to or won’t flip when you want them to, there’s not much you can do. Physics…it’s the law, man. Happens to all of us. Still a great brand and I will continue to purchase SanDisk.

Reactions: impeeza

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least is not fake... But maybe a full complete format could have fixed those sectors, but if it's brand new yeah no way I would try it either, it goes right away back...

But anyway on my 256GB card which has 0 bad sector at least for SXOS it never works the 1st payload, it always say Boot.dat?

And since I have a modded joy-con I just press power button + Vol + and the payload is sent again and boots right away, it's pretty odd and no matter what format or allocation size or whatever this card have always been like this while the many others I tried always work 1st payload.

It also seem like on Switch this mSD (Kingston Canvas Go Plus A2 256GB) gets beyond crap speeds like if it runs on a low power state or some crap while on a PC card reader is fast.

ps: If you still have the card and don't have to send back you can try sending the payload a 2nd time to see if it does anything for you...
If the bits flip when you don’t want them to or won’t flip when you want them to, there’s not much you can do. Physics…it’s the law, man. Happens to all of us. Still a great brand and I will continue to purchase SanDisk.
I already had 3 defective SanDisk 128GB A1 and since it's from Western Digital I can say I already had like 15 or more defective products from them since 2011 that will be pretty hard to trust them for me...

And incredibly they all had very similar problem which is speed problems, It was only WD Blacks and WD Scorpio Blacks and they all had speed problems, even my PC nothing worked until I went for Seagate.

But indeed my super old 32GB Sandisk Extreme A1 is still fine on my old Nvidia Shield Tablet and my latest Sandisk 128GB A2 is fine too, but WD HDD's it self I never risked buying a single one more since like 2018...

Though I also had a slower Toshiba 128GB mSD that simply went puff for no reason but went to warranty and the replacement one is also still fine, now I use it in my car for music only...

Last edited by guily6669,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the good thing is the replacement passed H2test's work. So now to see if now, I can restore emunand and get the console upgraded. With the upcoming holiday break, checking this off the to do will let me take my time with another mod project.
Post automatically merged:

Okay what the eff?

h2test says this one is good. I made the emunand partition, copied back the contents onto this card, and I still get the same damn error!
Post automatically merged:

Okay, the replacement I received from amazon passes H2Testw. But even when I do the whole emunand thing and try to restore my data to the new card, it still gives me the same damned error!

Last edited by codezer0,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still unable to get anywhere with this. Even with said utilities that claim to be able to back up the emunand from my present SD card, then format, partition and restore the emunand on the new SD card, it still won't work. Even if I format with Rufus to use mbr and not gpt, it still bitches about a got error.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still unable to get anywhere with this. Even with said utilities that claim to be able to back up the emunand from my present SD card, then format, partition and restore the emunand on the new SD card, it still won't work. Even if I format with Rufus to use mbr and not gpt, it still bitches about a got error.
How about we start from scratch and don’t copy anything over? Just Atmosphere, Hekate, Sigpatches and a game to install…

Let’s just try to get something working properly.

Reactions: Hayato213

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about we start from scratch and don’t copy anything over? Just Atmosphere, Hekate, Sigpatches and a game to install…

Let’s just try to get something working properly.
Admittedly I wasn't sure if or how that would work, if I already had everything installed according to the emunand.

So with that in mind, reformatted the new SD card with guiformat to ensure FAT32. Got a baseline of stuff on the sd card with the SDsetup guide of stuff. Shut down the Switch, put the new SD in, plug in my RCMloader to start up with the payload, and...

It boots.

13.1.0|AMS 1.4.0|S

For reference, the original SD card has the system string of 15.0.1|AMS 1.4.0|E

With the white theme I left on to warn me it was on sysNAND instead of emuNAND.Why does this work but my emuNAND won't?! Argghh!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly I wasn't sure if or how that would work, if I already had everything installed according to the emunand.

So with that in mind, reformatted the new SD card with guiformat to ensure FAT32. Got a baseline of stuff on the sd card with the SDsetup guide of stuff. Shut down the Switch, put the new SD in, plug in my RCMloader to start up with the payload, and...

It boots.

13.1.0|AMS 1.4.0|S

For reference, the original SD card has the system string of 15.0.1|AMS 1.4.0|E

With the white theme I left on to warn me it was on sysNAND instead of emuNAND.Why does this work but my emuNAND won't?! Argghh!
We want to be careful about writing stuff to (S)ysnand. Should probably create an (E)munand as a copy of (S)ysnand to play with.

This guide should help w/ that:
https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

How are you doing the partitioning again? We should probably partition your new SDCard w/ Hekate (that’s in the guide above as well.)

I’m thinking your partitioning methodology is off by one somewhere.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We want to be careful about writing stuff to (S)ysnand. Should probably create an (E)munand as a copy of (S)ysnand to play with.

This guide should help w/ that:
https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

How are you doing the partitioning again? We should probably partition your new SDCard w/ Hekate (that’s in the guide above as well.)

I’m thinking your partitioning methodology is off by one somewhere.
I've tried both the nxnandmanager and the emutool linked earlier to copy my original emunand to the new card. And every time, the switch just refused to boot the thing giving me that stupid GPT error.

Also just trying to copy the contents of the old SD card to PC, then copy over to the new one. I mean, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Last edited by codezer0,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried both the nxnandmanager and the emutool linked earlier to copy my original emunand to the new card. And every time, the switch just refused to boot the thing giving me that stupid GPT error.

Also just trying to copy the contents of the old SD card to PC, then copy over to the new one. I mean, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
I think the partitions are off. Try going through it with Hekate first and creating a new build on yiur new SDCard (with an Emunand included this time) and then we’ll try to swap out the new Emunand with your previous Emunand after we confirm the baseline works.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the partitions are off. Try going through it with Hekate first and creating a new build on yiur new SDCard (with an Emunand included this time) and then we’ll try to swap out the new Emunand with your previous Emunand after we confirm the baseline works.
I'm sorry, I still don't understand. because if I try to boot up hekate and switch sd cards, the switch will gripe and insist on a reboot. And then it just kicks me back with the same error, thus far.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I still don't understand. because if I try to boot up hekate and switch sd cards, the switch will gripe and insist on a reboot. And then it just kicks me back with the same error, thus far.
No need to switch cards. You have a card that’s known to be working 100%. Let’s use that card and just format it again, put Hekate and atmosphere on it, and then use boot into Hekate and use the built in partitioner to properly partition the card (Hekate will back up everything under 1G on the card so it is all self contained.)

There are detailed steps in the guide to walk you through this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun