Funniest thing about Gateway bricking consoles...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Master X, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Master X
    OP

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Is if Nintendo included code that bricked your console for using a flashcard, we'd have already skewered em over a fire.

Who knows? Perhaps after seeing how many people are supporting Gateway's choice to brick peoples consoles, Nintendo might decide to do the same.

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    A lot of console/game manufacturers have already done something like that in the past. It wouldn't matter for Nintendo now, as they can't retroactively add bricking code to their 4.5 and earlier firmware, however. The only people that would have the bricking code present on their 3DS then would be people with newer firmware, and they can't use flash carts anyway (for 3DS mode).

3. JonnyMohawk

JonnyMohawk Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2012
    United States
    You don't think you could of posted this in, you know, one of the hundred other threads on the issue?

Cyberdrive and diffikolt like this.
  4. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    True !

In terms of accuracy, r4i distrubuted firmware to it's customers and that firmware caused problems.
    Gateway is not able to distribute firmware to r4i customers. R4i customers downloaded the firmware from r4i's site, not Gateways.

So Gateway didn't brick anything.
    R4i did.

Ask all the people with bricked 3Ds ... where did you download the bad firmware ? 99% will say the bad firmware was from r4i not Gateway.

5. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Like?

6. Master X
    OP

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Does Emunand ring a bell? Sure, they can't add bricking code to the 4.5's... But they could add it to newer firmwares and have it affect emunand consoles.

7. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    Please mods!!!
    BANHAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huntereb likes this.
  8. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    PS3 rootkit, Sin and Punishment wiping BIOS, etc.

9. diffikolt

diffikolt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2009
    United States

Actually, it wouldn't be entirely impossible for Nintendo to implement a brick in a future version of the firmware being accessed by emunand.

In response to op, trust me, there would be plenty in support of Nintendo if they decided to do so.

Edit: Ninja'd by Master X.

10. Master X
    OP

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Their programs were based directly on Gateways firmware. While they are at fault for not properly testing the firmware, Gateway knew that the firmware would be copied and included a killcode.

Huntereb and RodrigoDavy like this.
  11. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Wither that or the region free patch version ... but Gateway did say they're not responsible if anyone messed with the file so point taken.

Anyway, Nintendo, of course, can't go bricking 4.5 consoles but they very well could make later versions brick if it even sees a flashcard introduced into the slot.
    (and OP is absolutely right that they would see SOOO much hate over that, too.)

NEP likes this.
  12. BMinkie

BMinkie GBAtemp Fan

Apr 18, 2013
    United States
    Gateway didn't brick anyone's console ........

13. RachelB

RachelB GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    United States
    Nintendo can't do it because they're a legitimate world wide company that has to actually follow the rules. Gateway can get away with it because they're they are small company in china, and thus immune from anyone else's laws.

14. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

They could, but they won't. They'd get lawsuits up the ass for including code to purposely destroy someone's console.

Cyberdrive, NEP and RodrigoDavy like this.
  15. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Wouldn't they just have to give people new consoles ?

16. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Both R4i and Gateway are at fault in this. Gateway made an stupid decision, destroying consoles of people who bought from their competitors. Worst part is that with this they lost potential buyers, which could switch to Gateway in the future but instead had their handheld bricked.

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Why are there so many damned threads about this again?

clarky likes this.
  18. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Their reputation would be heavily affected by this anyway. I would never buy another Nintendo product again if I discovered they purposedely bricked a console/handheld

19. RachelB

RachelB GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    United States
    No. The law suits would probably cost them billions of dollars if they tried it.

20. Master X
    OP

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Perhaps, perhaps not. What is it that Gateway said? Ah, yes. We are not reponsable for damaged caused by using modified software.

Nintendo says that, and add something to the ToS about it, and they would pretty much be free and clear.