Full brick sent to Nintendo

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Metalclay, May 26, 2010.

May 26, 2010

Full brick sent to Nintendo by Metalclay at 7:38 PM (2,748 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Metalclay
    OP

Newcomer Metalclay Member

United States
    Got it back with a letter in it telling me they would not repair it because upon examination of the system, they have determined the system has been tampered with: "Product was altered by downloading of unauthorized software, such as the "homebrew" channel". Funny enough, they didn't check the other box: "Product has been physically altered, such as opening the system, modifications to the PC board, etc." because I actually did have a wiikey in there.

I haven't played my wii in a while and haven't really kept up with new developments with wii homebrew mainly because after I bricked my wii, I just never got around to trying to fix it. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The wiikey in the wii was working fine, but then the homebrew channel came around and I was having a blast installing apps in there, playing duckhunt, etc. Then I dl'd some WAD related app and it bricked my wii. That is, when I turned it on the light goes green but it just stays black.

I'm thinking there has to be a way to get it fixed because if Nintendo was somehow able to determine that I had the homebrew channel in there, they must have seen something other than that black screen. Maybe a maintenance mode? Or some type of button trick? Or a new unbrick disc from some group? I'm trying some stuff I've found online but not much is working, so if anyone can help, that'd be awesome.

Thanks.

Update: Just tested it out on my tv and now a huge buzzing sound comes on when I turn it on, wasn't there before I sent it to Nintendo...

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you might want to contact bushing from TT. they were aware of a nintendo check disc that is run on a wii before repairs that checks for this type of thing. its better if you dont even bother turning on your wii or sticking a disc in it, as parts of the disc are still left on your nand and may be able to be scraped off and used for the homebrew scene somehow.

http://hackmii.com/2010/04/check-disk-for-...repair-process/

he might even try to help you unbrick your wii. and if theres anybody who has a chance of unbricking a wii, its this guy.

3. Metalclay
    OP

Newcomer Metalclay Member

United States
    Hm, for whatever odd reason, it unbricked just pressing down the d-pad on a gcn controller in port 4 while starting up.

4. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Aw...I was hoping you sent a real brick to Nintendo...with blue letters "Wii" on it.

Expectations not met.

5. OuahOuah

Member OuahOuah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Have sent a bricked Wii to Nintendo France.
    They gave me a new one...
    No "hack bill" [​IMG]

6. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    because NOE is much more polite to us then NoJ, NoK & NoA

and because of our precious consumer laws

7. OuahOuah

Member OuahOuah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Not sure.

The EULA for Wii is the same everywhere : modify/hack it and no more warranty.
    So was mine and I think NOE (France) did not explore the NAND, just put it on TV, see "no screen but still launch" problem and then... exchange [​IMG]

8. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    EULAs are typically non-enforceable in a court of law (have you seen some of the things corporations put in them?!) and many know they would lose if the EU took them to task.