Hacking FTP / Network Access

Eddie_Brock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Everyone, I recently re-connected my Wii and am in the process of getting my setup reconfigured.
I've got everything updated, loaders installed and I've made the update to NTFS storage from WBFS for usb loaders.

What is everyone using for network access to their USB HDD's?
My setup is fairly permanent, so it's pretty awkward to have to disconnect the HDD every time I want to add something to it.

I used FTPii in the past, however I can't seem to find a recent version of it. Their webpage doesn't provide a boot.dol (or .elf), but everything else in the package.

I have tried WiiXplorer, and I was able to get my pc to 'connect' to the FTP, however I kept getting an error message and it would disconnect (error 104 or 105 if memory serves)

To summarize; am I in the right neighbourhood or is there something easier to access the Wii/USB HDD over the network from a PC?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disconnect mine and connect it to the computer. Uploading disc images with the Wii's networking is godawful. I think typing the game in with a hex editor is faster. :P

If you just want to transfer small files Wiiflow and WiiXplorer have FTP servers embedded in them.

Reactions: Deleted User

Eddie_Brock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've done it in the past. I'm not worried about the time to transfer, I'll happily queue it up before bed one night.
But to disconnect my HDD that is wired through my entertainment center every time I want to add a 'file' is a serious pain in the ass.

I guess I need to diagnose the error a bit more in detail, because I had FTPii working fine in the past... I just don't get why the latest 'Master Branch' download doesn't include the boot.file

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use FTPii you'll need to build it from the source or google around for a release. However the one built into Wiiflow and WiiXplorer are almost certainly better. Either way, this has a good chance of failing just because Wii FTP is so inefficient. A better plan would be to boat everything back and forth with an SD card which would almost certainly be easier to access. Better yet, set up a Windows share on your PC. WiiXplorer can access that.

Eddie_Brock

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to use FTPii you'll need to build it from the source or google around for a release. However the one built into Wiiflow and WiiXplorer are almost certainly better. Either way, this has a good chance of failing just because Wii FTP is so inefficient. A better plan would be to boat everything back and forth with an SD card which would almost certainly be easier to access. Better yet, set up a Windows share on your PC. WiiXplorer can access that.
Thanks for the suggestions... I believe I did use SMB at one point in the past to access my PC from the Wii.
With my PCs now on Windows 10, I imagine that's even more of a headache than it was on 7.

I will try again with WiiXplorer and FTPii, checking my network settings, then move on to SMB if that fails.

Flashed

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I don't recommend you using FTP on Wii, it's very unstable, at least that's my experience. If you can use a SD reader much better

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte