Gaming From a homebrew perspective: PSP Phat or Slim?

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now a friend just gave me a phat PSP, it's hacked to the latest CFW 5.00 M33-6.

Now a different friend wants me to trade him his unhacked PSP Slim with Darth Vader on the back for my already hacked phat PSP.

So two questions:

1) Can the slim with Darth Vader on the back be hacked?

2) Why is it that like with the GBA emulator, there are different versions for Phat or Slim? Does it run better on a certain PSP? I need to know if I can do everything the same way on a slim that I can do with a phat (emulators, homebrew, loading ISOs, etc.)

~Thanks a lot

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think the Darth Vader one can be hacked, but check first. If he has firmware 5.03 or lower, run ChickHEN on that PSP and use PSPIdent to make sure the mobo can be hacked. Just update the PSP to 5.03 ONLY before using ChickHEN.
And as for PSPs, the slim would be better. AFAIK, the phat PSP is loved by many for the 1.5 kernel, but I think that can be run on a slim... although I may be wrong. Either way, I think the new kernel is better to run homebrew and ISOs, and is more popular than the old 1.5 kernel.

Please, anyone feel free to correct me anywhere I'm wrong.

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
1. I don't know about Darth Vader, but if it's a slim, yes, it can be hacked.

2. Are you talking about GPSP? Different versions are just because they're updated.

Yes, you can do everything you used to be able to do, and with a prettier piece of hardware.

Just in case though, when you say slim, you mean PSP 2000, right?

SgtYutz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vader psp's are hackable. hardmod the battery then magic memory stick. quite simple
happy.gif

And the psp is a better portable emu than the ds(you just need slim specific builds)

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
benjaminlibl said:
1. I don't know about Darth Vader, but if it's a slim, yes, it can be hacked.

2. Are you talking about GPSP? Different versions are just because they're updated.

Yes, you can do everything you used to be able to do, and with a prettier piece of hardware.

Just in case though, when you say slim, you mean PSP 2000, right?
Not true. Some PSP 2000s have unhackable motherboards. These are known as the TA088v3.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say slim.
tongue.gif
It has double ram which psp homebrew devs might use. i.e. irshell's multitasking feature

@Skyline I'm pretty sure DA made a prototype thing that allows a slim to run the 1.5 kernel. (if my memory is correct)

palasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the "prototype thing" is called TimeMachine, it is currently at version 0.2, and allows ther slim to run a combination of 3.x and 1.5 firmwars, allowing apps to run under the 1.5 kernel as if they were running on a real PHAT while maintaining a higher firmware on internal NAND.

That said, i cant think of any really good homebrew that doesnt have a version for a a more modern kernal. at the very least you can find a different homeberw that does the same thing but doesnt require the now archaic 1.x kernel.

take the vadar, make sure the screen is ok, pandorize your batery, and happy hacking!

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks, so I guess I can do everything on a slim that I can do on a fat. I don't really understand what 1.5 kernal is and why slim can't have it, but whatever.

So to hack the slim, is pandora the only way? I really don't want to shell out any more money to do this.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tranquil said:
Ok thanks, so I guess I can do everything on a slim that I can do on a fat. I don't really understand what 1.5 kernal is and why slim can't have it, but whatever.

So to hack the slim, is pandora the only way? I really don't want to shell out any more money to do this.
It isn't as long as it isn't on any frimware high than 5.03 you can just do what somebody already said in the above post.

raing3

CNET_Richard
Trophies
XP
Country
There is also LEDA (also made by Dark_AleX) for the PSP slim which is better than using Time Machine to run the 1.50 firmware as it doesn't require a Pandora battery and doesn't require another firmware to be loaded and installed to the MS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...