cman1783

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This project breathes new life into unmodded/dead laser PS2's. It allows a boot file (such as uLaunchelf) to be directly booted from memory card or USB thumb drive.

More details HERE

Download HERE

Tutorial HERE

Please note - You will need access to a PS2 capable of booting elf files (exploit, modchip, etc.)

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
So this is a solution for PS2 owners to boot anything they so desire on unmodded PS2s but it requires a modded PS2?!

Basically that means I'd have to mod my PS2 to use it and that seems to against the aim. I can only see this being of use in massive piracy or modding rings and, sadly, I'm affiliated with neither.

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
xJonny said:
Well he did say there was a way by exploit, so it could be a software exploit meaning you don't have to do that.

e.g. Twilight Princess afaik

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's a shame that it's hard to get your hands on PS2 games now and add that with the high likelyhood the exploitable discs are no longer pressed (say they've reduced fixed ones) it still seems like me running this is a pipe dream.

cman1783

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The exploit in which i was referring to is called the Independence day exploit. In a nutshell, there's a flaw in the way the PS1 games saves load on the PS2 which causes a buffer overflow and boots said boot file. So pretty much a PS1 game disc triggers the exploit. I'm not going to explain how to install everything since there's a million different sites that explain it. Also note that the exploit was fixed in the slim line PS2's so that method works only on the original fatties. But this Free MC BOOT works on ALL models.

EDIT - I'm actually willing, (if anyone wants), to do all the dirty work for you. Just send me any type of memory card (original Sony's, Datel's, etc. (except the cheap chinese 64MB clones since they don't work)) in any size (8, 16, 32, 64MB) and i can do it up with must-have apps.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL that was easier than shit.

just make sure you DL FREE_MCBOOT_v1.2b_(PAL-NTSCU).rar. It's practically stupid proof.

Also I don't have a chip in my PS2.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up cman1783. I have a few cards and modchips around here able to be sacrificed for such a project.

Venko

Trophies
XP
Country
So I need...
  • To buy 1x Swap Magic disc (as a means of booting to install the mod)
  • To borrow a friend's Windows machine as I'm a GNU/Linux user
  • A USB drive (e.g. a drive in a caddy with a USB connector)
  • To buy a 32 MB memory card (as the one I have is 8MB)
And this will work on PAL PS2 PHAT, yes?

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Bloodgod said:
can someone explain to me what RUNME.ELF is? I just ran it using "free mc" and nothing happened. All it did was bring me back to the homebrew screen.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58247...ase-thread.html

runme.elf is supposed to start backup discs on NTSC consoles (doesnt work on pal, dont bother trying)

works for some people, but not for others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte