Fraud Prevention Services

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DiscostewSM, Apr 24, 2015.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    So I get a call from this number

877-666-4436

And it's an automated message saying they are from Schools Fraud Prevention Services (Schools being the credit union I got my card from). At first I was going to go along with what the recording was telling me (was about to hit 1 for English), but then I decided to just let it go and hear what it had to say. They had my name and last few digits of my card. Being skeptical about the possibility of this being a scam, I looked online for that number. Some places say it is a suspicious number, and others say that it's Visa Fraud Prevention Services. Now, my card is a Visa, but still. What I'm going to do is head on over to my local credit union today after work to talk with them about it, but what do you all think?

Is it legit?

2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Yeah I'd go to your CU and talk with them as I'm not sure if it is real or not and something that serious would need to be 100%

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    People may well call you but if in doubt then call the branch/relevant number yourself, best if you source the number as well (call us back on ?? is the same thing as doing nothing, except you now foot the bill for the call). I assume we are not in the tapped/redirected phone line level of crazy; I can not say I have heard of spear phishing at that level but hey.

Name and last few digits is available on most receipts, if you gave your phone number to sign up to a service at the same time..... There was even an interesting case of a parking garage using the third set of four numbers as well but this is not the thread for it.

migles likes this.
  4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    ^this
    when in doubt, step up and call yourself the company and ask them if they have records of calling you or something..
    or do what you told us, go to the local credit union and they will tell you if its a scam or not

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-877-666-4436

If you get a call from a random 800 number, 99 times out of 100 it's just scam crap. Always google the number if they claim to be from a business, if the results are legit then...well, it's legit. If not, then congratulations, you've avoided really obvious scams.