Fractured Souls DS trailer

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game may have eluded your eyes easily. It's a new Nintendo DS game called Fractured Soul and it's kind of a unique take on platform shooters. It's not unlike Megaman in basic gameplay, but it throws all platforming conventions out the window and tries something fresh with the DS' two screens. Have a look at the trailer, it's simpler to watch than explain-

Fractured Soul uses conventional platforming similar to Megaman, but the innovation here comes with the two screens and how you use them. Your character appears on both screens, but you only control one of them at once. The other screen shows a silhouette of the character which is kind of a "ghost image" of yourself. It will follow your movements exactly as seen on the bottom screen, but the actual platforms, enemies, and areas are totally different. The ghost image will not get hurt, and will not be affected by platforms. The trick though is to switch between the two screens (on the assumption that there's a button you press to switch) and solve platforming puzzles this way. When you do so, you become the character on the opposite screen, and the one you were just playing as becomes the ghost image. Using this setup, it brings an entirely new type of gameplay to the mix. And you'll need to switch between screens a lot to solve platforming parts and avoid obstacles and enemies.

There are also some shoot em up stages with a spaceship. Similar technique is used for these stages, except there's no platforming. Fractured Soul isn't the most impressive game visually, but so far the gameplay looks solid and extremely challenging. There's no set release date for the game at this time though. It is being developed by a rather unknown company called Endgame Studios. [/p]

I'm kind of interested in this game, looks retro and hard, but also innovative. I'll be keeping an eye on this, hopefully we'll get a release date sometime soon! Their twitter also mentions interest in working on a 3DS version as well, citing that it would be interesting. We'll see what happens.

Endgame Studios
Twitter- Endgame Studios

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks pretty fun to me. Graphics are low tech but the gameplay looks extremely retro with a new twist. The challenge looks quite high as well. I've never played Chronos Twins though, so i dunno what that game had to offer.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The concept is not that new, it's already been used in one DSiWare title that I know of (I may be forgetting some others so it's possible that this has been used in more than one title). It worked out pretty well though so this game shouldn't be bad. I don't expect a lot from it but I won't say it's shit either.

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Range-TE said:
i Never liked Chronos Twins, it felt somewhat..... boring for me. this looks more exciting
It felt really cheap to me. I don't just mean it was low budget (it was low budget), but it felt a bit lazily done. This game does look like it was inspired partially by CT. I wonder if they'll drop this one and switch entirely to the 3DS one? It might be a good move, business wise.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a new idea. There's a lot of flash and indy platformers that have been built around this concept of two (or more) worlds you can switch between at will.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Ysaquerai said:
Looks somewhat Chronos Twin DS maybe?
the same guys who made it?

Nah, I think EnjoyUp made Chronos Twin, the same guys who made Zombie BBQ. And Chronos Twin truly was a great idea, not to mention it was tough as balls. This just looks like a rip-off of a rather forgotten idea (although Chronos Twin is more popular nowadays that it has had a US localization with WiiWare/DSiWare.

Bluestainedroses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this idea though, when it comes out i'm going to test it out though, before i buy it. It seems like it can be either really mediocre or really good. Depending on things like story lines and music (Other then the sample used in the trailer, if it's even going to be used in the game)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr