who??
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
gloweyjoey said:
He actually means executed though. Not fired.

Only two people were executed in the case, and only because it posed a national threat. The contamination killed 6 babies and made 300,000 ill. This accident is nowhere near that scale.
Yes, I agree, I doubt any one will be executed for this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Hippie? Seriously? That's the tack you're going to take with me? I would have thought that implicit name-calling was beneath you.

I wasn't calling names, I just said that your attitude in the post is Hippie.

QUOTE said:
Essentially you're saying that corporations and manufacturers are accountable to no one but themselves

Yes, I am.

In short, here's my characterization of your post. And it's not a description of you personally, but your political position:

Bourgeois post is bourgeois.

I'm not even attempting to say otherwise. I'm not saying that what Foxconn does to their workers is eh-o-kay, I'm not giving anyone a greenlight for mistreatment. All I'm saying is that it's Foxconn who is responsible, not his clients, not in the slightest.

When a serial killer is on the loose, he is guilty of the murdures, not the society he was brought up in for example.

It may have influenced him, but he made the fatal slip.

I didn't intend to offend you, sorry if I have. I was describing the post, not the person.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Foxi4, how come it's always you that incite pointless flame wars here? Take a chill pill man...

As for the news story, hopefully everyone other than the deceased will be fine. May those whom passed away rest in peace. It's disappointing that Foxconn never took any action to better support their employees despite all the criticism they're drawing in.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
[youtube]lCI2l9JIMi4[/youtube]

It's a casual argument, not a Flame War.
wink.gif

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
Foxi4 said:
...the fact it has buisness connections with Apple is irrelevant.
I disagree. It most certainly is relevant. That major companies that have continued to do business with FOXCONN, despite their widely documented worker's abuses, is disgusting, and they deserve just as much blame as the factory management. That having been said, Apple should not be singled out. News sources are likely doing it because the fire occurred at the Chengdu plant, where most of the iPads are made.

Hippie post is Hippie.

Apple, Nintendo, Sony or any other Foxconn client has 0 responsibility over Foxconn operations. Whether they conduct buisness with them or not is a matter of a given CEO's conscience. You can bash Foxconn for what's going on in their factories, but you can't bash anyone for having a buisness partnership with one of the best hardware manufacturers on this planet.

Well I think that they are responsible for commissioning an unethical manufacturer especially since they've been quick to take the moral high ground in terms of environmental considerations, while I can understand not scrutinizing every aspect of the factory FOXCONN's malpractice is common knowledge. I'm not however going to jump on the apple hate train, other companies are just as guilty and not being well publicised isn't an excuse.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
Well I think that they are responsible for commissioning an unethical manufacturer especially since they've been quick to take the moral high ground in terms of environmental considerations, while I can understand not scrutinizing every aspect of the factory FOXCONN's malpractice is common knowledge. I'm not however going to jump on the apple hate train, other companies are just as guilty and not being well publicised isn't an excuse.

My thoughts exactly. They are responsible for commisioning work to Foxconn, but it's Foxconn who is responsible for malpractice. If we want to point fingers, at least let's point fingers at everyone, mmm-kay?

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten off-topic since I got here, so I've put my reply to Foxi4 in spoiler tags.
Foxi4 said:
I'm not saying that what Foxconn does to their workers is eh-o-kay, I'm not giving anyone a greenlight for mistreatment. All I'm saying is that it's Foxconn who is responsible, not his clients, not in the slightest.
Except for the fact that they are, in fact, liable for the manner in which their products are created for consumption on the mass market. Either FOXCONN is incredibly skilled at hiding their abuse of workers when inspectors come to call, or Nintendo and Sony's so-called investigations are incredibly inadequate. The fact that Chinese labor law holds seems to only hold "the employer" responsible for abuses does not necessarily exonerate FOXCONN's client list. This abuse has not only happened in China, but in India and Australia, to name a few. It could be that FOXCONN holds a tight monopoly on subcontracting manufacturing services. But again, their clients still do not have clean hands. By unconditionally exonerating them, you are also giving a "greenlight" to the abuse. The workers are, after all, making "their" products.
QUOTE said:
When a serial killer is on the loose, he is guilty of the murdures, not the society he was brought up in for example. It may have influenced him, but he made the fatal slip.
That analogy does not apply well to what we're talking about. The term "society" can be easily treated in an abstract and subjective manner, which is not the case here. FOXCONN's client list can be easily obtained from Wikipedia of all places. The fact that they have offered piecemeal concerns or inspections over the fate of the workers can also be easily obtained from a quick Google search. This goes for the fact that the workers are still being ill-treated and that the suicides have not stopped. In short, there is nothing subjective about the facts here, except your assertion that big business isn't accountable.
I didn't intend to offend you, sorry if I have. I was describing the post, not the person.
The same goes for me. And if this is really a casual argument, you have fooled me. Your position has come off as nonsensical (not to mention reactionary) and you have offered no other evidence other than your support of capitalist exploitation. The fact that your position is baseless indeed makes it come off as trolling. If and when you reply, I would suggest that you provide a better argument than what you have offered thus far. I was, in fact, pointing fingers at them all. But FOXCONN's client list is off limits for you. This is not acceptable.

Oh and for anyone else interested, here's Steve Jobs' interpretation of past abuse allegations: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...0-suicides.html
If possible, please continue talking about the fire.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Lol