Foxconn factory explosion

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by gloweyjoey, May 20, 2011.

May 20, 2011

Foxconn factory explosion by gloweyjoey at 8:00 PM (1,661 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. gloweyjoey
    OP

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    A large explosion at Apple partner Foxconn's Chengdu manufacturing plant in southwestern China killed two people and injured another 16 late Friday, according to Chinese media reports.

Fire fighters had brought the situation under control, The Wall Street Journal reported Foxconn as saying.

The cause of the explosion, which reportedly ripped through the facility's "polishing plant" at around 7 p.m. local time, was not known. Foxconn said it was cooperating with a local police investigation. The Chengdu Municipal government confirmed two fatalities and 16 injured, including three seriously, according to The Journal.

The government "appeared to rule out foul play," according to the newspaper.

A first-person account (video below) published by MIC Gadget described a chaotic scene following the blast, with dozens of emergency vehicles arriving at the facility. According to MIC Gadget's Herman Lai, the explosion occurred in the plant's A5 building, which reportedly houses the production line for Apple's iPad 2.

Foxconn, a subsidiary of Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry, assembles iPads, iPhones and iPods for Apple, its most prominent customer. The contract manufacturer also makes Amazon's Kindle ereaders and counts Acer, Asus, Intel, Cisco, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Nintendo, Nokia, Sony and Vizio among its clients.

Incidents at Foxconn's manufacturing plants have been a source of controversy in recent years for Hon Hai Precision Industry and its high-profile customers. A string of worker suicides put the spotlight on working conditions and pay rates at Foxconn's Shenzen plant, which houses some 420,000 employees inside the factory complex.

Foxconn announced a series of pay raises last June in the wake of the suicides, including a 30-percent, across-the-board pay hike and a 66-percent performance-based raise for employees who get good marks following a three-month evaluation.

But last month there was more scandalous news involving Foxconn when it was revealed that three employees had been charged by Chinese authorities with leaking iPad 2 designs to third-party accessory suppliers. [/p]

[​IMG] Source
    [​IMG] Video

Do you think it was an accident?

2. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    Yes, or at most negligence. At least if your thinking insurance claim.

3. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    hmmm i cant tell but it might be foul play but by whom i wish i knew... thats what you get for cheap labor i guess

4. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    [​IMG] I hope they rest in peace (The 2 that died) and the rest hopefully get better soon. That's all.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    For Lord's sake, stop underlining the fact that Foxconn and Apple are buisness partners! You could just as well write that Foxconn and Nintendo are buisness partners, but you won't - that'd make Nintendo look bad, wouldn't it? Instead, you just write that they're their "clients". So much better, has a nice ring to it. I can understand how some people want to make Apple look bad, but Foxconn is an *independent* company, the fact it has buisness connections with Apple is irrelevant.

6. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    It has a polishing plant?!!! Geez

7. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States

8. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    they make Sony stuff.

maybe they where testing rockstar games on new ps3s

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Pretty much irrelevant to the article. The article is talking about an accidental explosion, and what does this have to do with it exactly?

Anyways, sad to see the lives of 2 people taken away from an accident.

Also, how does a company even become like that? Like how does it get into the manufacturing for everything business? I always wondered that.

10. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    +1, This.

11. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
    I don't get it. What happened with Rockstar and Sony?

12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Older PS3's started overheating after installing the update from one of their latests hits, LA Noire I think.

13. SamAsh07

Bahrain
    This

14. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
  15. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Hippie post is Hippie.

Apple, Nintendo, Sony or any other Foxconn client has 0 responsibility over Foxconn operations. Whether they conduct buisness with them or not is a matter of a given CEO's conscience. You can bash Foxconn for what's going on in their factories, but you can't bash anyone for having a buisness partnership with one of the best hardware manufacturers on this planet.

16. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Well more higher ups are going to be executed for this, they executed almost everyone charged in the Melamine incidents.

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    When you say "executed" regarding a factory based in China, a rifle shoot-out comes to mind.

"Fired" would be a better word, but that still has gunfire connotations. XD

18. gloweyjoey
    OP

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    He actually means executed though. Not fired.

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Only two people were executed in the case, (19 others sentenced various flavours of jail time) and only because it posed a national threat. The contamination killed 6 babies and made 300,000 ill. This accident is nowhere near that scale.

So yes, more people were "fired" rather than "executed". I grasped the point crudely.

20. MEGAMANTROTSKY

United States
    Hippie? Seriously? That's the tack you're going to take with me? I would have thought that implicit name-calling was beneath you. Essentially you're saying that corporations and manufacturers are accountable to no one but themselves, that they are protected from the most basic causal relations that have been widely documented throughout the entire sordid history of FOXCONN's military abuse of their workers. FOXCONN's clients, including Apple and Nintendo have all made "investigations" into these abuses yet the suicides have continued. Clearly, their investigations have not had much of an effect. Nor have they taken their business elsewhere to show that they cared more about the workers than if FOXCONN meets their production quota. Sony reportedly expressed "concerns" over FOXCONN's worker abuse, but that didn't stop them from teaming with FOXCONN to create a large TV plant last February in Japan. Even increasing workers wages by 30% have not stopped the suicides. As far as this report on May 6 is concerned one of the (very) few things that has improved are the attitudes of some of management's personnel. Illegal and excessive overtime remain and show little sign of stopping, despite the "concerns" of FOXCONN's "clients". They are all responsible, and for you to claim otherwise is nothing more than a show of willful ignorance.

In short, here's my characterization of your post. And it's not a description of you personally, but your political position:

Bourgeois post is bourgeois.