Fortune Street Coming Overseas

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by machomuu, Aug 1, 2011.

Aug 1, 2011
  1. machomuu
    OP

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    [​IMG]

Nintendo had a handful of end-of-the-line Wii games that it decided not to push very hard at E3 this year, which explains why I somehow completely missed Fortune Street. Thankfully, I was able to remedy that and check it out today at San Diego Comic-Con -- and I say thankfully because it turns out that Fortune Street is actually a really fun and complex economics-driven board game translated to the Wii.

To give some context, Fortune Street is actually the latest iteration of the Itadaki Street franchise, a long-running series of games developed by Square in Japan that is only just now making its way to North America. The concept is simple: You pick a cute avatar and take it around a board by rolling dice. Each square you land on represents a piece of property that you can purchase, thus forcing other players who land on the same square to pay you money. Once one player goes bankrupt, the game ends, and the player who had built up the greatest amount of wealth wins the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is sounding familiar to some people out there. Yes, Fortune Street is basically a video game version of Monopoly. But there are some interesting elements at play that set it apart from the popular board game.

The biggest change from Monopoly is simply that there are multiple boards of varying shapes and sizes. Whereas most Monopoly playthroughs are guaranteed to last many hours, if you choose a smaller board in Fortune Street, you can wrap up a game in 30 or 40 minutes. One of the game's bigger boards could last you a whole night of non-stop playing.

In addition to grabbing real estate, players must work their way around the boards to pick up four symbols -- heart, club, spade, and diamond. Once all four have been collected, players can return to the bank (usually found at the center of the board) to level up and pick up some cash. This operates similarly to Monopoly's "pass 'go' and collect $200" system, but on Fortune Street's non-linear boards, players will have to make interesting strategic choices. Do you use that six you rolled to collect the heart so you can go level up? Or do you head in the opposite direction to a piece of unclaimed property to grow your empire?

Beyond the continual grind of going around the board over and over, Fortune Street provides many tactical options for savvy businesspeople to screw over the competition. If you land on a spot owned by an opponent, you can purchase it from them against their will if you happen to be carrying five times the regular asking price in your virtual pocket. Owning two or more shops that are in squares next to each other causes their value to go up. Likewise, if you land on a shop that you own, you can invest money into it, increasing its value and the amount that your rivals have to pay when they land in the same area.

If that doesn't make it all complex enough, Fortune Street also has a deep stock market system at play on each board. Though this feature was not activated on the build that I got to check out, in the final game it will allow you to purchase stock in any business on the map -- even those you don't own! If one of your opponents gets a juicy location that you had been eying, you can invest in it and still get a piece of any money that players have to pay into it.

My greatest concern for Fortune Street is that potential players will confuse it for another Mario Party game. As far as I can tell from my first hands-on time, this title is so much deeper and more interesting than what we've come to expect from board game-style releases featuring Nintendo characters. I didn't see any dumb mini-games, and it seems like players will need to play smart if they want to win -- no last-second, come-from-behind victories because of something random and out of anyone's control.

Nintendo is currently aiming for a holiday 2011 release for Fortune Street. I'm glad to see this series finally getting a chance in North America. Let's face it: I'd buy stock in this if it meant avoiding another mini-game collection.[/p]

Source

It's not "new" news, but I thought it needed to be posted as this is the first version of Itadaki Street ever to be released overseas. It's a pretty big deal.

2. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    Monopoly anybody [​IMG]

Disregard previous statement, just read the source and it sounds a lot better than monopoly. The poster should change the first post to do the game justice, this makes it sound like a monopoly rip-off to anybody who hasn't read the source

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    If I'm reading right, Monopoly with these characters?

Anyway, more games the merrier.

4. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
  5. machomuu
    OP

United States
    It's often been considered a Monopoly clone, but there's more t it than that. heck, from the same source there was this:
    But as I said, it's still a pretty big deal. This game has been around since the NES, it's a classic, but never before has it been released overseas.

6. _Chaz_

United States
    Such as...?

7. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It would be odd that a game with Mario in it didn't make it overseas.

8. machomuu
    OP

United States
    Fine, I'll just put the entire source post in the OP...

9. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    it still monopoly.

10. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Herp derp, checking out the source is really hard, eh?

Investing in shop and such, stock, buying others' property(ies) against their will if you've got 5 times the regular asking price.

Edit: I need to refresh pages more often.

11. _Chaz_

United States
    Seems like Monopoly with small additions. Like if Monopoly were to have a "party" game.

12. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Eh, it's developed by Square Enix. GOLIIII

It doesn't look too bad. I'll probably play it a bit.

13. machomuu
    OP

United States
    Well more precisely it's deved by Square for the most part, so it won't suck.

14. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The immediate conclusion people jump to is that this is a Mario game.
    It's not, a quick google image search will reveal all sorts of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy Characters. More recently, Mario characters have been invited to the franchise the same way that final fantasy characters have been invited to some Mario sports titles.

Right there in the promo artwork you've got Angelo and Jessica from Dragon Quest VIII, and Bianca from Dragon Quest V, as well as the traditional Slime.

15. _Chaz_

United States
    *cough*FFXIII*cough*

16. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Okay that's flat out wrong.
    This is less Square's doing and more Enix's doing, Itadaki street has been going on before the Square Enix merger and it was conceived by Dragon Quest designer Yuji Horii.

17. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yeah, it's an Enix baby, and it's an awesome series. Those T'n'T boards you see in some of the Dragon Quest games are actually spinoffs of the Itadaki Street series (this Fortune Street).

Last I heard, this Wii version is an updated 1.5 port of the DS one. Kinda like the PS2/PSP version? I don't mind that, but the other thing I heard was an August release date. As in this month.

I want that. Set in stone.

Whenever I describe the series, the first thing I say is it's Monopoly and the stock market on crack. It's a lot more conniving than just Monopoly--a good player tries to ruin the others by supplanting their property through investments. On the face the game may look like it's pretty cheery, but really, it's full of under-handing and other players trying to screw you over as much as possible.

It's capitalism at it's finest~ [​IMG]

18. machomuu
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I don't know why I said that.

And Chaz, have you played FFXIII? Other than its linearity it's a darn good game, and the music is good too. It's sad they got rid of the victory music and theme song, though.

19. breaktemp

Member breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

United States
    ha ha...i knew it would come out in america !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkMvWUkSq4[/youtube]

after the game got a translation patch for the PS2...videos started to pop-up all over the internet [​IMG]"

* my friends and i love this game to death *

20. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Well, we all know what I'll be waiting for for the next however long it is before the game's released. I LOVE Monopoly and all similar games, but I've never been able to play Itadaki/Fortune Street because of the language barrier. I'm getting right up on this high horse before it falls over from the weight of the awesome.