• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Formula 1

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now we are on the summer break I think this picture is pretty accurate as to what each driver would be doing if they all went on holiday together. The attention to detail is awesome it even has Rossco watching Lewis go surfing lol.

FB_IMG_1659436234096.jpg

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there's a twist for the current expectations. Piastri has denied that he'll drive for Alpine next year.
Rumour has it that he is going to McLaren and Daniel is going to Alpine. I hope not lol. I have no problem with Daniel going but McLaren need a decent driver with experience of top level racing to help improve the team. Pato is the perfect driver to do that in my opinion.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Rumour has it that he is going to McLaren and Daniel is going to Alpine. I hope not lol. I have no problem with Daniel going but McLaren need a decent driver with experience of top level racing to help improve the team. Pato is the perfect driver to do that in my opinion.
And as i said

Hopefully not another LeClerc ...

....we maybe have the next "Asshole" in F1...

Alpine has Piastri not only made the Formula 1 test program possible, but also financed it.

Very ungrateful from that young Boy.......

Reactions: JuanMena

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probable timeline:
  • July 28th: Seb announces his retirement. No one has "Alonso to Aston Martin" on their Silly-Season-Bingo-Card.
  • July 31st: Alpines Contract Option for Piastri runs out.
  • August 1st: Piastri still has no offer for an actual racing seat from Alpine and Oscar (and his manager) is looking elsewhere for a seat - McLaren steps in, they sign a contract.
  • Also August 1st: Alonso, out of nowhere, leaves Alpine for AM. Alpine thinks they still have an option for Piastri and announce him as a driver (at a time Piastri - an austrial - is sound asleep)
  • August 2nd: Piastri, just having signed up to McLaren (because he thought it was his best chance for a seat) wakes up to an announcement from Alpine that they are picking their contract option - which ran out 2 days earlier.
I don't think you can blame Piastri (or his management) for doing anything they can to get a racing seat and jumping at the opportunity to drive for McLaren (a solid mid-fielder), especially when there are no telltale signs for the current Alpine lineup to change.

EDIT: Piastri's final part of his tweet ("I will not drive for Alpine in 2023") leads me to believe that he must have a secured seat for next season. You don't categorically rule something like that out when you're still in negotiations. It's not a "hey, we haven't talked about this yet, let's have a chat" it's a "Nah, mate, I am set. You figure the rest out."

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@Localhorst86 McLaren might be one of the best teams for any pilot that isn't fighting for the championship. They're always in F1, they're experienced and, as you mentioned, they're solid.

And as i said

....we maybe have the next "Asshole" in F1...

Alpine has Piastri not only made the Formula 1 test program possible, but also financed it.

You're very quick to judge him. Something I've learned early in life is that if you don't go for it and act upon your best interests, you may end up screwed. Which I did a couple of times. Now I'm ruthless.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
You're very quick to judge him. Something I've learned early in life is that if you don't go for it and act upon your best interests, you may end up screwed. Which I did a couple of times. Now I'm ruthless.
You mean,if a young driver without a single Formula 1 Race "shits" on his Trainer and on the same People who made it possible for him to start his Formula 1 career (financially) in the first place, that shows character, well then,good Night.. ...

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You mean,if a young driver without a single Formula 1 Race "shits" on his Trainer and on the same People who made it possible for him to start his Formula 1 career (financially) in the first place, that shows character, well then,good Night.. ...

It does show character, it's his life, he doesn't owe them this. The Alpine people didn't do it from the goodness of their hearts, it was a transaction. What he owed them was to be as good and dedicated as possible in the context that they hired him for, which was not as a race driver for F1. The other possibility is he'd pass on McLaren, then Alpine wouldn't give him a place, and he wouldn't race in either. Maybe McLaren offered him a better deal, or he prefers to race for them, which is legitimate.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This whole situation is looking rather familiar.

July 12th 2022. Indy Car driver Alex Palou informs his team Chip Ganassi racing that he wants to leave.

July 13th 13.00 hours. Ganassi release a statement saying that Palou has signed a new contract with them. Palou then says he has no knowledge of this and that Ganassi has done this without his knowledge and he will not be racing for them next season.

July 13th 13.30 Hours. McLaren and Palou announce he will in fact be racing for McLaren next season.

July 14th Ganassi Racing says Palou has a legally binding contract with them and that legal action will follow if Palou goes to McLaren.

August 1st Ganassi files legal papers to the courts.

Now doesn't this all seem quite familiar with what has happened with Piastri and Alpine and McLaren.

• Wow
Reactions: Alexander1970

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The crazy thing is that it's being reported that Piastri has only signed a reserve driver deal at McLaren. This will be changed to a full time contract once McLaren can get Ricardo to agree to a deal to leave. McLaren have already offered Daniel a seat in their new Formula E team but he told them to stick it. The only way now they can now get rid of him is buying out the remainder of his contract which he could simply refuse to accept. We could still end up with the situation of Daniel refusing to go and Piastri as the reserve driver lol.

In the end Piastri might have fucked himself by going to McLaren before they agreed a deal with Ricardo to leave :rofl2:

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@AmandaRose I guess it depends on if Ricciardo gets a better offer from another F1 team
He holds all the cards.

1. He could simply refuse to go as he has a binding contract for another year.

2. He could be a nice guy and simply find a drive elsewhere and not cause a fuss.

3. Or he could make McLaren pay out the remainder of his contract and then find a drive elsewhere and pocket a lot of cash in the process.

We all know how nice a guy Daniel is so he will more than likely do option 2

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I am complete d´accord with Szafnauer:

"I've been in Formula 1 since 1989 and I've never seen anything like it. And it's not about Formula 1, it's about the decency of a person." "Millions and millions of euros" have been put into Piastri's development, according to Szafnauer on "El Confidencial" in Spain.

https://www.krone.at/2779307

This little snotty Piastri should be grateful to be able to drive in the formula 1 at all, someone like him simply has no character ... but that is very welcome in today's Formula 1, as in life - Characterless assholes, who always only look out for themselves and their personal advantage (as society shows them) always get ahead...

But that´s ok - It looks like,the "Handwriting" of Flavio Briatore stands behind this whole "Circus"...

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Alexander1970 I can see that you and I are of vastly different generations. What is owed between employer and employee is agreed on contractually.

You seem to share the older generations mindset that Piastri should be ever so thankfull to Alpine for making him what he is today and eternally be in their (moral) debt. That's not the case and that mindset has died ever since millenials entered the workforce.

Neither party owes anyone anything more than what is agreed upon contractually. Everybody fulfilled their part of the deal, everyone got what they wanted. If Alpine gave a flying fuck about "moral obligations" that are not in the contract, maybe they shouldn't have left their young talent waste away in the role of a test driver. If Alpine cared about their employee giving them any respect, they should have mutually paid him an equal amount of respect, not just treat them as an assett to the company, but also treat the company as an assett to Piastri.

Oscar Piastri had an opportunity that he demmed beneficial to him, and he took it. No one is a "characterless asshole" because they decided who their future employer would be, no one would have expected Alonso's move of making his seat vacant, if Oscar didn't take the deal with McLaren, he would have another prospected role as just a test driver.

Personally, with how many people left the Enstone team in a hurry the last few years (Abiteboul, Brivio, Budkowski, Prost), it sounds to me that there is more going on at Alpine than just a "young ungrateful driver".

Last edited by Localhorst86,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Alexander1970 I can see that you and I are of vastly different generations. What is owed between employer and employee is agreed on contractually.

You seem to share the older generations mindset that Piastri should be ever so thankfull to Alpine for making him what he is today and eternally be in their (moral) debt. That's not the case and that mindset has died ever since millenials entered the workforce.

Neither party owes anyone anything more than what is agreed upon contractually. Everybody fulfilled their part of the deal, everyone got what they wanted. If Alpine gave a flying fuck about "moral obligations" that are not in the contract, maybe they shouldn't have left their young talent waste away in the role of a test driver. If Alpine cared about their employee giving them any respect, they should have mutually paid him an equal amount of respect, not just treat them as an assett to the company, but also treat the company as an assett to Piastri.
They way I see it is that there is clearly something wrong going on behind the scenes at Alpine.

When a driver like Alonso who still wants to win and be competitive leaves one of the best midfield teams to go to the second worst team in F1 it clearly shows something is wrong.

When A driver like Piastri is guaranteed a drive at the team that has been looking after him during his early years leaves before he even gets the chance to race for the team it clearly shows something is wrong with the team.

Whatever is wrong with Alpine is so bad that you really can't blame the drivers for wanting to race elsewhere.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They way I see it is that there is clearly something wrong going on behind the scenes at Alpine.

[...]

Whatever is wrong with Alpine is so bad that you really can't blame the drivers for wanting to race elsewhere.

Yeah, as you were replying I was already editing my post to reflect that. There have been a lot of sudden personel changes in the last few years, indicating a larger issue behind the scenes.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes,you are both correct,it is not only Piastri´s "Fault".....but he has "choosen" his new Friends.....

As I already mentioned....Briatore (and also Alonso) are behind that unlucky "Driver Change" Story...
....and that two Guys are not really the "cleanest" Guys in F1 History...
(remember Singapore 2008...)

So for that Part,I keep my Choice - Piastri is now one of now 3 Characterless Assholes,who only look out for themselves and their personal advantage (as society shows them)...

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The biggest problem at Alpine is a total lack of ambition. When the team principal Otmar Szafnauer makes a statement like he did a few weeks ago when he said "We want to be winning races after another 100 races" It clearly shows there in zero ambition there to achieve anything in a hurry. 100 races is 5 seasons away. If Alpine want to be concidered as a serious F1 team they should be looking to be winning races next season or the season after not in 5 years time. And people wonder why Alonso and Piastri wanted out of there lol.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
If Alpine want to be concidered as a serious F1 team they should be looking to be winning races next season or the season after not in 5 years time. And people wonder why Alonso and Piastri wanted out of there lol.

Remember:

THAT is not possible with an Sir Alonso and Sir Briatore.....
Remember his SECOND Championship win 2006 ? Who was his Teamprincipal ?
Correct...Briatore......and Alonso "cancelled" the (Management) Contract with him to leave Renault and go to McLaren (in 2007) and he did that that during the Season 2006.

But the two joined again later in 2008 and 2009....

Alonso is like Prost....but not political,he is,like i said before a
"characterless Asshole,who only look out for himselve and his personal advantage"....

He did it with McLaren,he did it with Ferrari....and now again he did it again....

For Briatore there is nothing more to say.....remember the "Schummel" (cheat) Schumacher Benetton Ära....

Alonso and Briatore are the most dishonest and devious Fellows in Formula 1....always have been....

So,I repeat myself:
"....now 3 Characterless Assholes,who only look out for themselves and their personal advantage (as society shows them)..."

Reactions: JuanMena

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: sub-50 for a >20k mAh battery with 100w PD charging? Fuckin sold