Gaming Formatting Wii system memory

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm selling on a friends wii but I noticed it has games bought from the shop channel, obviously I would like to keep these games when selling but I'd also like to format the console to protect any information that might be on there. How can I save the downloaded games and still format the system memory?

Also does the shop channel store any credit card information? I can't access the channel to check because the system firmware needs updating but I'd like to keep it on 4.2. Bearing in mind this is on a non modded wii

Any info would be great

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well since it is "unmodded". or never been modded. no there is now way to do any thing. unless you mod first then use modmii to do the updating.. if you format it erases everything, games an info.. yes i have done this to mine so i know this first hand. it resets the wii to factory setting, just like the day you got it.. as far as credit card info. no it is saved on the nintendo server. not on the wii. hope this helps.
mellow.gif

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
is it possible to re download bought games from the shop channel
so I'd format the console
update to get into the shop channel
re download the games that have already been bought
do you need to sign into an account or anything? Because I don't have that information

Just trying to figure out if it's safe to leave it as it is, hell there might be wii points on the shop channel I don't know

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't remember who told me this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you sell your Wii and format the memory, any DLC game cannot be transfered to the new system. This is how they help combat piracy. If you had to turn in your Wii for repairs, then your DLC would be transfered to the new system.

Trace_hunter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Masked Ranger said:
I don't remember who told me this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you sell your Wii and format the memory, any DLC game cannot be transfered to the new system. This is how they help combat piracy. If you had to turn in your Wii for repairs, then your DLC would be transfered to the new system.
But It's the same console

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
All your purchased download licenses are stored in big Ns server. Formating your memory wont affect anything related to the shop channel including DLC. The shop channel has its own format option for purchased licenses. As long as you didnt format your licenses with this option in the shop channel, all your content is save.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh you guys are wrong. Unless it's different in the US servers. I had to wipe my system a couple years ago and this is when I did buy wiiware/vc games. I had a fresh setup and all I had to do was re-log back into the shop and the stuff was still lit up as paid for, clicked download, and it was back.

Trace_hunter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
Oh you guys are wrong. Unless it's different in the US servers. I had to wipe my system a couple years ago and this is when I did buy wiiware/vc games. I had a fresh setup and all I had to do was re-log back into the shop and the stuff was still lit up as paid for, clicked download, and it was back.
do you have to sign in with an e-mail address or something?

I think I'll format and find out anyway

edit: you cant keep downloaded items after erasing a wii shop account =(

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think of like this, if you format a harddrive what happens to all the info? an are you allowed to pick an choose what doesn't get erased? the answer is NO. once you reformat all info is gone an there is no getting it back.. the shop channel every thing is reset to "factory settings." so all info is gone. you can't go back an re do what you purchased. cause there is no info saying you bought it in the wii.. it is gone

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trace_hunter1 said:
Vampire Hunter D said:
do you have to sign in with an e-mail address or something?

I think I'll format and find out anyway

edit: you cant keep downloaded items after erasing a wii shop account =(

I really don't remember as it has been a few years. If I remember, I just went back into the shop and it was highlighted. I'm guessing since each Wii has a unique tag, since I never unlinked the system itself from my NOA account it just picked it back up despite formatting the drive.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Trace_hunter said:
I'm selling on a friends wii but I noticed it has games bought from the shop channel, obviously I would like to keep these games when selling but I'd also like to format the console to protect any information that might be on there. How can I save the downloaded games and still format the system memory?

Also does the shop channel store any credit card information? I can't access the channel to check because the system firmware needs updating but I'd like to keep it on 4.2. Bearing in mind this is on a non modded wii

Any info would be great
Wait...what? Are you selling your Wii to a friend? Please clarify clearly. I'm gonna assume that you are selling your Wii to a friend. With that assumption in mind, it seems you want to have all the games that your purchased via the Shop Channel to still be available to your friend without any credit card information being left on the Wii for your friend to use to buy games on your dime. Some friend
wink.gif

AFAIK the Wii does not save the credit card information as you have to input it in every time you wish to make a purchase using the credit card. What the Wii will remember as far as the Wii Shop Account goes is if you linked the account to your personal Nintendo Power account. So before selling your Wii I would recommend doing the following:
  • Perform a System Format, making sure that no saves, Miis, messages, etc are left on the Wii
  • Go into the Wii Shop settings and unlink your Nintendo Power account if linked.
  • Use a PC and format the SD card if you are selling the Wii with it.
Do that, you should be fine. Your friend should not be able to access any of your previous information, but still be able to re-download previous Wii Shop purchases.

If you are extra paranoid you could deleted the Wii Shop account by going into the Wii Shop settings before performing a System Format, but then this will delete all records of items purchased in the Wii Shop. Your friend will not be able to download previously purchased items.

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh