Formatting Wii system memory

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Trace_hunter, Apr 8, 2011.

Apr 8, 2011
  1. Trace_hunter
    OP

Member Trace_hunter GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm selling on a friends wii but I noticed it has games bought from the shop channel, obviously I would like to keep these games when selling but I'd also like to format the console to protect any information that might be on there. How can I save the downloaded games and still format the system memory?

Also does the shop channel store any credit card information? I can't access the channel to check because the system firmware needs updating but I'd like to keep it on 4.2. Bearing in mind this is on a non modded wii

Any info would be great

2. drewmerc

Member drewmerc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    you could just update the shop channel with modmii then check yourself

3. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    well since it is "unmodded". or never been modded. no there is now way to do any thing. unless you mod first then use modmii to do the updating.. if you format it erases everything, games an info.. yes i have done this to mine so i know this first hand. it resets the wii to factory setting, just like the day you got it.. as far as credit card info. no it is saved on the nintendo server. not on the wii. hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    If you format all download content is lost even if you save it to SD it becomes unplayable even on the same console.

5. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    is it possible to re download bought games from the shop channel
    so I'd format the console
    update to get into the shop channel
    re download the games that have already been bought
    do you need to sign into an account or anything? Because I don't have that information

Just trying to figure out if it's safe to leave it as it is, hell there might be wii points on the shop channel I don't know

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

It's safe to format, you can redownload any purchased content afterwards. There's no sign-in process.

7. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I don't remember who told me this, so take it with a grain of salt. If you sell your Wii and format the memory, any DLC game cannot be transfered to the new system. This is how they help combat piracy. If you had to turn in your Wii for repairs, then your DLC would be transfered to the new system.

8. Trace_hunter
    OP

United Kingdom
    But It's the same console

9. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Vampire hunter is correct

10. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    All your purchased download licenses are stored in big Ns server. Formating your memory wont affect anything related to the shop channel including DLC. The shop channel has its own format option for purchased licenses. As long as you didnt format your licenses with this option in the shop channel, all your content is save.

11. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Oh you guys are wrong. Unless it's different in the US servers. I had to wipe my system a couple years ago and this is when I did buy wiiware/vc games. I had a fresh setup and all I had to do was re-log back into the shop and the stuff was still lit up as paid for, clicked download, and it was back.

12. Trace_hunter1

Newcomer Trace_hunter1 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    do you have to sign in with an e-mail address or something?

I think I'll format and find out anyway

edit: you cant keep downloaded items after erasing a wii shop account =(

13. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

So don't erase the shop account then.

14. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    think of like this, if you format a harddrive what happens to all the info? an are you allowed to pick an choose what doesn't get erased? the answer is NO. once you reformat all info is gone an there is no getting it back.. the shop channel every thing is reset to "factory settings." so all info is gone. you can't go back an re do what you purchased. cause there is no info saying you bought it in the wii.. it is gone

15. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I really don't remember as it has been a few years. If I remember, I just went back into the shop and it was highlighted. I'm guessing since each Wii has a unique tag, since I never unlinked the system itself from my NOA account it just picked it back up despite formatting the drive.

16. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    Wait...what? Are you selling your Wii to a friend? Please clarify clearly. I'm gonna assume that you are selling your Wii to a friend. With that assumption in mind, it seems you want to have all the games that your purchased via the Shop Channel to still be available to your friend without any credit card information being left on the Wii for your friend to use to buy games on your dime. Some friend [​IMG]

AFAIK the Wii does not save the credit card information as you have to input it in every time you wish to make a purchase using the credit card. What the Wii will remember as far as the Wii Shop Account goes is if you linked the account to your personal Nintendo Power account. So before selling your Wii I would recommend doing the following:
    • Perform a System Format, making sure that no saves, Miis, messages, etc are left on the Wii
    • Go into the Wii Shop settings and unlink your Nintendo Power account if linked.
    • Use a PC and format the SD card if you are selling the Wii with it.
    Do that, you should be fine. Your friend should not be able to access any of your previous information, but still be able to re-download previous Wii Shop purchases.

If you are extra paranoid you could deleted the Wii Shop account by going into the Wii Shop settings before performing a System Format, but then this will delete all records of items purchased in the Wii Shop. Your friend will not be able to download previously purchased items.

-[]D