Focus after taking a picture

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Bajeezus!
blink.gif

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
This is pretty damn cool. This would help a lot if I were to become a journalist in future. :3

yeah this is gonna sell A LOT and be the standard in the future.

It also takes 3D pictures and also a type of 3D that doesn't need glasses, not parallax
but insted using the advanced software gives a sense of depth, its cool!

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:
Why not just have the whole image in focus all the time?

its useful when you miss a shot and its out of focus, its able to take info from the light field and refocus is really well.

What I meant is if they have this working right nothing should go out of focus. I think someone is taking liberties with the advertising....

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:

its useful when you miss a shot and its out of focus, its able to take info from the light field and refocus is really well.

What I meant is if they have this working right nothing should go out of focus. I think someone is taking liberties with the advertising....
Go take a picture of something close, then see if the background is clear.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
And my point was there's no need for that to happen if this is working as well as they say. Nothing should be out of focus using the new tech they are advertising.

The out of focus picture is an example of what the tech can do for those moments when you accidently take a picture out of focus. Its truly the first of its kind in the consumer market.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:
And my point was there's no need for that to happen if this is working as well as they say. Nothing should be out of focus using the new tech they are advertising.

The out of focus picture is an example of what the tech can do for those moments when you accidently take a picture out of focus. Its truly the first of its kind in the consumer market.
But with this tech you'd never accidentally take a picture out of focus.
Or you shouldn't anyway.

If the camera can refocus things after the picture is taken and it's shown it can put all things in focus at once you should never accidentally take a picture out of focus.
You should never need to use the feature of focusing after the picture is taken.

That's his point.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:

Or you shouldn't anyway.

If the camera can refocus things after the picture is taken and it's shown it can put all things in focus at once you should never accidentally take a picture out of focus.
You should never need to use the feature of focusing after the picture is taken.

That's his point.
Oh, I get it now. Maybe the camera can't auto-detect what is out of focus. In the video they suggested you had to choose what needed to be focused.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:

Or you shouldn't anyway.

That's his point.

That still doesn't leave out the possibilty that due to human error one will take a picture out of focus. Putting everything in focus is an option. You can also choose to put select things in or out of focus. No other onsumer camera can do this. It is really useful.

DigitalDeviant

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Zarcon said:
DigitalDeviant said:
cwstjdenobs said:

Or you shouldn't anyway.

That's his point.
Oh, I get it now. Maybe the camera can't auto-detect what is out of focus. In the video they suggested you had to choose what needed to be focused.
fi
Perhaps they need to make a clearer video no pun intended. Using the light field it can anaylise al the light that is in front of it and gather info not possible with a traditional camera. This coupled with the lytro engine allows for refocusing regardless of human error while taking a picture or as a means of creative expression.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
cwstjdenobs said:
Because depth of field is a neat and cool effect, and a picture where everything is in focus would look flat
nyanya.gif

Plenoptic cameras can give you uniform sharpness across the entire picture (within certain boundaries; you can't get sharpness across an infinite depth range), but that's not the point. They record the light field, and you can easily emulate different focal lengths, different lenses (wide to narrow, orthographic to fish-eye), or even move the viewer forward or backward, left and right, and extract (slightly) 3D images, from the data contained in one image. But adjustable depth of field is the most striking of those features (and the one with the greatest range allowed by the technology), most effective, and no wonder Lytro chose to focus (heh) on that most of all.

Not sure what other features they'll decide to implement. Of course they'll enable having the entire picture in focus, but playing with the focus and focusing on individual layers is pretty interesting and will probably be the major draw of the camera.

Here (see bottom of page for PDF file and video link) is an explanation of the principle, some examples, and a video showing the capabilities of the tech. It's pretty interesting.

One major drawback is that the end photos will probably be in relatively low resolution. Because of the way the technology works (an array of microlenses over the optical sensor, each covering a grid of pixels; the end photo is composed by extracting one pixel from each lens), the end photo has a significantly smaller resolution than the optical chip itself; let's say each lens covers an 8x8 grid, that means a 10 Megapixel optical chip would only give a 456x342 image.

EDIT:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7yx31yslM[/youtube]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I shall have to have a look at their patents and the like. From what they describe though it looks some of the people playing astronomy (gravitational lensing) might be having a word or three.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
I shall have to have a look at their patents and the like. From what they describe though it looks some of the people playing astronomy (gravitational lensing) might be having a word of three.

I wouldn't bother, prior art doesn't matter to the USPTO.

Anyhows, has anyone else seen the "take pictures around corners" stuff? Much cooler use of this than this, even if it's not very good yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol