Flashme Bug?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by HoTsHoT89, Sep 10, 2008.

Sep 10, 2008

Flashme Bug? by HoTsHoT89 at 4:20 AM (1,472 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. HoTsHoT89
    OP

Member HoTsHoT89 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    I'm using Flashme v8a with stealth and no-autoboot, and an R4. According to the Flashme website, the DS will only boot to SLOT-2 when the SELECT button is held upon power on for my version of Flashme. One day, I got the instructions mixed up and held START and SELECT prior to boot. The screen skipped the Nintendo DS warning screen and immediately jumped to the brief R4 Loading screen, dissappears and the console hangs.

Is this a bug left behind by Flashme? Shouldn't it just continue to boot normally?

2. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    start+select is IMHO the emergency procedure.
    It will start your slot2 in passme mode, so that you can reflash your DS.

if the data on your slot2 is not NDS executable, than it will hang.

no bug there

3. HoTsHoT89
    OP

Member HoTsHoT89 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    Yes you're right, I missed that little bit of text at the Flashme website. Here's the excerpt:

If your firmware gets corrupt, hold START+SELECT to boot directly to SLOT-1 or SLOT-2. From there, you can run flashme or noflashme to repair it.

What does it mean by 'booting directly', and how does Flashme.nds being able to run even if the DS firmware is corrupted?

4. ozzymud

Member ozzymud GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the 1st little bit of the flashme firmware has recovery code (a small program) that when activated will search your flashcarts root directory for the flashme.nds and execute it.

On mine with an Acekard RPG in slot-1 and a Supercard SD in slot-2 with v8 noauto:

Holding down on powerup:
    start = nintendo menu
    B = Supercard menu
    nothing = Acekard menu
    start+select = both screens white (flashme.nds not in root of card)

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Start+Select will indeed initiate the emergency recovery boot code. On the R4, you'd need to use R4Crypt to encrypt any *.nds file so that it's the first thing that gets launched rather than the R4 menu (which for some reason don't like to be booted by the FlashMe recovery code). Since you'd normally only use the Start+Select boot code if your FlashMe installation failed, usually you'd use R4Crypt on the flashme.nds file itself so you could continue the installation.