Flashcart for games

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by xCuteBunnyx, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

Flashcart for games by xCuteBunnyx at 5:29 AM (1,845 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

Member xCuteBunnyx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello,
    This is my first time on this forum.
    Anyways, I'm looking to buy a flashcart only for games. I'm not going to put movies or anything else inside it. I'm only going to put games in it.
    I'm looking at the R4/M3 but they look like they are sold out + some people have been saying R4's aren't "top of the line." I also saw something called N5 today, but I do not know what that is. I also don't mind the GB size. At least 2 GB would be fine, but 1 GB is okay too, since I could just buy another SD card. And I also don't really care if we can copy GBA games, since I already have a GBA. And I prefer easy to use and easy to download and put games on the flashcart. Since I'm a girl and I'm not really good on technology.
    I am not going to take apart my DS. I just got a DS in around late January.
    Which should I get?

Thanks!

O yes and also if you use a Flashcart would you have the same battery life on the DS?

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    1. N5 = poorly made version of R4.

2. For the most part, battery life may take a small, but generally unnoticeable hit.

My personal recommendation would be the EDGE. Fast menu, several display options, good skinning, great build quality.

3. amemoryoncelost

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    edge is a good option, cyclo is another good option, but a bit more spendy and you also have the supercard SDone. The last two are both for sale at realhotstuff.com and shipping is cheap and fast as hell. I got my cyclo recently and love it to death. If I were you, I would spend the money on a bigger card, they're so small, feel like I could lose it any minute now, lol.

I know with the cyclo, I got it, went to the store, bought a memory card, updated the cart(download it, put on card, run the cyclo and it updates itself). Threw some games on and I was playing, easiest thing ever! No formatting or patching games.

4. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    Thanks, but I read on the CycloDs review about needing a memory card reader.
    Do we also need one for the EDGE? Also, where to buy one, since I dont have one. And as you see, I'm not good with computers.

5. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Mostly all flashcards today come with microSD readers. Except for EZ-Flash 5. They are really easy to use, its just a matter of looking up instructions.

6. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The Edge seems to be difficult to come by right now.

The DSTT is also a decent option in the lower-price range. Get at least a 2GB microSD card (Kingston Japanese is best).

You can get a DSTT and 2GB Kingston Japanese microSD for $50 shipped to U.S. at leetmod.com. I don't know how reputable the store is, but I just ordered from there (we'll see how it goes). The site seems very professional, and they answered their e-mail in the same day.

All of the carts mentioned in this thread so far are very easy to use, but you will probably have to download the firmware (most don't come with the firmware and if they do the firmware will be outdated). You can download the firmware from this site or from the official site for the cart, unzip the file and place the contents on the top level of your microSD card. Then make a folder (name it "games") and drag your .nds files into the folder. On Windows use the "safely remove hardware" option, put your microSD card in your cart, put it in the NDS, and you're off! That's about it!

ETA: leetmod.com shipped my order on the same day that I placed the order! Free shipping to U.S. and Canada. They shipped mine via USPS and I got a tracking number.

-Bri

7. amemoryoncelost

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my cyclo came with a card reader, not the best reader in the world, but it seems to work and I figure as long as I don't drop it a million times and let me dog chew on it, I should be fine. All you need to buy is the cyclo and the memory card and you should be set.

8. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    since all you want is games, id recommend the DSTT or Edge as theyre the cheapest and very easy to use and are up to date, avoid buying m3/r4/n5 produts, those are the worst you can find on the market, once you make your decision, let us know and we'll be glad to help you out setting it up, whatever the choice is

9. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone!
    Now I narrowed it down to EDGE or CycloDS.
    Which one would you recommend(sp?)? : )

10. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    If you can spend alot, then Cyclo.

If you can just want something simple. then EDGE. They're both good choices.

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The EDGE is just a CycloDS without the in-game menu (RTS, slow-motion, in-game guide).

EDGE costs ~30USD, CycloDS about ~55USD. Just depends how much you value those extra features.

12. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    Thanks, what's RTS though?
    Also, you have to download the in-game guide by yourself right? But where?

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    The in-game guide uses standard text files.

14. Hyperlisk_

Member Hyperlisk_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unless I missed something, the CycloDS doesn't support that yet... Where did you see that?

15. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    um..may someone answer that question? Lol.

16. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yeah, it doesn't support that. Only SC DS One supports it, for now.

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It doesn't. Mistake on my part.

18. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    o, thanks.
    hm....
    how would it update by itself? lol, it seems cool.
    And do you have to format your microSD card?