FL Studio for assholes

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JinTrigger, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011

FL Studio for assholes by JinTrigger at 8:49 AM (613 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    What's a good place to find FL Studio tutorials...I really want to make some music.

2. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    FL studio is the type of thing you learn alone.
    I know that doesn't sound so convincing, but just fiddling around with it made me become pretty good at music production.
    I can give you a boost start though.
    So basically, you have 4 default sound effects, depending on which type of music you chose.
    On the very left, there is a HUGE amount of sound effects you may add to your four default sound effects.
    FL Studio works by creating patterns, and putting patterns together to make a song.
    But what is a pattern? Let me get to that.
    Say we want in the introduction... like a deep drum sound to be playing every 1/2 second.
    Then after 10 seconds we want a clapping sound every 1 second while the deep drum sound continues playing.
    So first we had pattern 1 (the deep drum) playing for 10 seconds, then ten seconds later we had pattern 2 (the clap) joining it as they play simultaneously.
    That's what you call a pattern. No, patterns aren't just instruments...
    Let me clarify that.
    Say.... okay
    Pattern 1: A deep drum playing at 1 beat per second
    Pattern 2: A clap playing at 1 clap per 1/2 second.
    Pattern 3: The SAME deep drum AND a piano. The piano is at 4 beats per second and the deep drum is 2 beats per second.
    So then we have this song here:
    First 20 seconds: Pattern 1
    Next 20 seconds: Pattern 1 and 2 together
    Next 30 seconds: Pattern 2 and 3 together.

That's the thing. What you are editing when you first open FL studio is a pattern, not a song itself.
    Yeah, I learned that from fiddling around. Believe me it's better than tutorials that you won't understand.

3. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I would appreciate this as well. Seeing as I have the Producer edition.

Fiddling is good, but what I want to learn is distorting the sounds and such for the wow effect. Anyone can create a catchy pattern, but to make a fully fledged house or trance track is something else.

4. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I will admit fiddling does help, but some basic tutorials would be nice just so I can get a feel for the programs. Also I'm editing a midi and I can't for the life of me get the instruments to stay changed to what I want them to be

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Warbeats. Andrew "Zircon" Aversa's YouTube Channel and website.
    Besides that, I recommend checking out the Mixer (F9), and fiddling around with some plugins. Layer together some beats, look for some tutorials on the internet. You could even ask some artists to share project files. Though the chance that they do is small. About the Mixer, putting "Fruity Parametric EQ 2" on a drum sound and fiddling around with the knobs can easily give a unique feeling to a generic kick, snare or hat. To continue on the project files, there are some included with FL Studio explaining things. I remember opening one about Sidechaining. There is even a project file of a full song made by Zircon, explaining almost, if not everything in the song that you hear in plain text. Also, Soundgoodizer (Maximus preset) gives a generic drum loop a pretty cool sound, though, don't overdo it. Same goes with the whole song, nobody wants to listen to the same drumloop repeated over and over again. Be creative.