PS1/2 Fixing the sound on my PS2

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there everyone. A few months ago i asked people around about the fact that my Playstation 2 phat's sound isn't working anymore. And w ith the help of a couple of people i got to know the problem behind it, Something is probably loose in there. And knowing is only half the battle. So now i need your help once more to find a cure to get back my playstation 2's sound.

Note: Replacing this system is not a option. It means a lot to me, even now. I got it almost 7 years ago from my father. I do not want to exchange it.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Bluestainedroses said:
Hey there everyone. A few months ago i asked people around about the fact that my Playstation 2 phat's sound isn't working anymore. And w ith the help of a couple of people i got to know the problem behind it, Something is probably loose in there. And knowing is only half the battle. So now i need your help once more to find a cure to get back my playstation 2's sound.

Note: Replacing this system is not a option. It means a lot to me, even now. I got it almost 7 years ago from my father. I do not want to exchange it.

I don't see an issue with swapping it out, PS2s are hardware, they're meant to be used and broken. However, the first place I would start would be to check your pins on your cables and plug. Then try getting a new cable, should only run you $10 or so.

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrashmanX said:
Bluestainedroses said:

I don't see an issue with swapping it out, PS2s are hardware, they're meant to be used and broken. However, the first place I would start would be to check your pins on your cables and plug. Then try getting a new cable, should only run you $10 or so.

Well yeah, that's true. But this PS2 was my first ever serious gaming console, I also used to play it alot with my uncle. Who is now in coma. So you could say it has emotional value.

Also, i already replaced my old wire with a new one and still no luck.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sounds like the console itself needs... to be replaced - I know it may be sad, but, they do not run for THAT high of price anymore, they ARE still made, and even used console that works fully is relatively easy to find. You can still place the old console somewhere to commemorate whatever you exprienced with that unit, but it seems not much can be made.

Well, my friend kinda has similar issues and all that helps is waggle the wire to JUST right angle in the hole, and even smallest movement makes the sound/video jittery...

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if modchip has been fitted check your points. Check your connectors, try another AV cable. If not the ESD may of killed the DAC (its a 8-leg IC near A/V connector & maybe the transistors near it) in the PS2. AV before power, lesson learned.

Replacement D/A IC link

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wtfisausername - Used a brand new cable, still no results. Connector is in fine state, so are the points. And the things you said after that, i did not understand. Care to elaborate?

Sumea - Well, before ever replacing it, i'm going to try all my options to repair it instead. Money isn't really a problem for me at the moment. It's really more a emotional issue. I've been eyeing a shop that still sells phat ps2s. So if this doesn't work out after all. I guess that'd be my backup plan.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluestainedroses said:
wtfisausername - Used a brand new cable, still no results. Connector is in fine state, so are the points. And the things you said after that, i did not understand. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, I read that after I posted and I've been lazy about posting info as i do not know how much the person im helping knows. Most likely the D/A IC marked HERE in blueish purple is dead. Replacing it should do the trick, if not the little black rectangle transistors may be dead also.

... if you were wondering the messy modchip wiring is because I could not get it working and fitted it 4 times now, thinking its the chip...

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. Well now i know where the problem lies, and if it's the transitors that are dead, is there anywhere to find spares of them? Also, i wondered if sending my PS2 in wasn't a option. It doesn't say anywhere on the site that it isn't so i'm hoping you'd know.

Also, i don't have a modchip owo. I used free mcboot with my Memor32 card and memento team's software.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluestainedroses said:
Hmm.. Well now i know where the problem lies, and if it's the transitors that are dead, is there anywhere to find spares of them? Also, i wondered if sending my PS2 in wasn't a option. It doesn't say anywhere on the site that it isn't so i'm hoping you'd know.

Also, i don't have a modchip owo. I used free mcboot with my Memor32 card and memento team's software.

https://service1.us.playstation.com/rma.htm...75-79BA6FE5819A

Not sure if link would work, if not go to support under one of the PlayStation product and click service under the big title.Not sure how much Sony gonna charge, but I don't think its gonna be cheap.

I never had to replace the transistors, so I'm not too sure. Look for a number on them and try to id them. What version, or model number system do you have by the way?

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh.. they're saying i would need a receipt. Which i threw away a long longggggg time ago. I'm guessing replacing that chip would be the easier and cheaper way to go instead of the official way. Also, how is replacing the chip? it kinda looks soldered on.

my PS2's Serial is SCPH-30004 R

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluestainedroses said:
Ugh.. they're saying i would need a receipt. Which i threw away a long longggggg time ago. I'm guessing replacing that chip would be the easier and cheaper way to go instead of the official way. Also, how is replacing the chip? it kinda looks soldered on.

my PS2's Serial is SCPH-30004 R

They need the receipt if it is WITHIN warranty, and you are trying to get it fixed for free. It is not required if warranty is out and you are trying to have to pay to get it replaced although the warranty seal needs to not be broken (i would think).

Yes that chip is soldered on, it isn't too hard with a cheap soldering iron if you have some experience soldering. The transistors and stuff though are much smaller and would be best to use some sort of smd rework station.

Bluestainedroses

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, well.. My family don't really have soldering machines as we don't have much use for one. I solder quite alot in school so i have the experience for it. Problem lies in finding a machine and iron.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte