Fixing softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Fefo, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    I HAVE A BLACK (FAMILY) WII

Sorry, I am dumb. Also be attitude for engrish.

I have a (poorly) softmodded Wii running USB Loader GX, which randomly hang up or doesn't run some games (MPT Corruption for example). Some .wads also fail to install (error -1035)

Every tutorial I've tried by now failed, and it's very hard to find reliable information about softmodding black Wiis. Lack of BootMii to protect me of a brick also makes me wary of trying certain things.

Can someone help me doing this the right way? I'm sure that the information I need is somewhere in this forum, but I'm already burnt out after searching a lot of uncertain solutions.

Thanks for helping.

SysCheck
    I HAVE A BLACK (FAMILY) WII

2. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Use Modmii

fefocbento likes this.
  3. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

Is there anything I should look while using it to mod a Family Editon Wii? A lot of tools and tutorials I've found where old and useless.

4. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    Install modmii and run it
    Goto page 2 downloads from main menu
    Download sysCheck files and transfer the files to your sd card
    Run sysCheck on your wii through the homebrew channel and it will save a sysCheck.cvs file on your sd card

Run modmii again
    From the main menu select sysCheck updater
    Enter the path of your sysCheck.cvs file or just drag the file onto the modmii screen and it will look at your file
    and determine what needs updated.Follow the prompts to get the updated files and then install them on your wii.
    It should give you a custom guide as well with install instructions.

fefocbento likes this.
  5. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

SysCheck
    Looking better, but MPT Corruption still don't work and I can't install Netflix. Reading about these issues showed me that the former is pretty troublesome and the latter needs a Trucha Bugged IOS36, which can't be done on this Wii.

6. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    You don't need a trucha bugged ios36 to install netflix.You should be able to install it from the wii shop without any issues.

If when entering the wii shop it prompts you for an update just decline it and use modmii to download the latest version and then install it with a wad manager.
    It also requires the latest ios56 but from looking at your syscheck file you already have the latest installed.

fefocbento and brausm08 like this.
  7. brausm08

brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2009
    United States
    USA - Midwest
    your problems with MPT:3 is the dump itself...there's a bad dump floating around the interwebs ...it's been floating around for a long time.... From my understanding, the problem with it is the cios it was dumped on...waninikoko's v10 i believe... the second layer of DL disc dumps had issues when dumped on that configuration. ....a different rip should solve the problem.

as far as netflix, icebrg5 is correct. install latest Shop and IOS56...then get it from Ninty's servers through Shop Channel.

fefocbento likes this.
  8. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks. Reinstalled the Wii Shop and downloaded everything. What a monstruously slow thing.

Is there any other "important" .wad that needs this specific IOS?

I heard something like that. Now I need another NTSC dump, or else :rofl:

9. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    Something odd happened today. My powered off Wii tray suddenly started to blink, switching between fully and half lit, and the power LED was orange. There was no image on TV.

I turned it off and restarted. Everything looks fine, but when I tried to use the USB Loader GX my HD didn't power on.

10. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States
    Orange is standby and it could have downloaded some message for the wii message board or something and that's what you say.

If your wii light is red when its turned off then standby is turned off but if its orange when turned off then standby is turned on.

My Wii U does the same thing. I have auto updates turned on and normally the powered off light is always red but occasionally i see it go to orange for a few minutes and then back to red.

fefocbento likes this.
  11. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

That might be it. Without a connection this never happened.

However, more oddities are happening: The Homebrew Channel (1.12 with LetterBomb) sometimes hangs up and I need to force power off, and my HD does not turn off when I turn off the Wii (ports still energized)

12. icebrg5

icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 1, 2007
    United States

Sounds like the wii is in standby mode then when turned off and it still providing power to the usb drive and that's why it's not going off.
    You can turn standby/wii connect off in the system settings menu.

Also the HBC freezing issue is probably due the hard drive entering sleep mode and not being accessible through the hbc.
    I've never heard of the HBC just freezing on it's own.

fefocbento likes this.
  13. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

After playing a little and turning off the Wii entered on "orange" standby. I messed a lot in Settings but could'nt find a where to turn it off, but the next time I turned off the Wii it entered on "red" standby. At least I could identify the problem.

The HBC freeze didn't happened a second time, so while strange, it was a exception.

Thanks for helping, there is a lot to figure out for those outside the scene.

14. stephaniie

stephaniie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2013
    Gothenburg
    so, unto the main question. does everything work now? :)

15. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

Well, my issue with MPT was caused by a bad dump (tried a PAL one and it worked) and I could install the wads in the end, so I think so. :mellow: