The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
First ROM hack send C&D letter
Square-Enix forbids all rom hacks, tools, and even documentation
http://www.chronocompendium.com/

A highly anticipated Chrono Trigger ROM hack, Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes, has just been nailed by a C&D by Square-Enix within days of its release, the first Cease and Desist letter of its kind. Additionally, Square Enix extended their cease and desist to any and all rom/modifications of any of their games, a rom hacking tool (that does not contain any copyrighted material), and forbids not only ripping or hacking anything from a Square-Enix game, but even teaching others how to do it (i.e., documentation).

Source

Contributed by masamunecyrus

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, isn't that special?

It just means that some of these sorts of activities needs to be more anonymous and underground, now doesn't it?
smileipb2.png

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This rom hack was actually finished if I recall what they said on romhacking.net. They were going to release it officially on May 30. Maybe it'll get leaked, but I don't really care.

Now Square Enix, show that you care about the series and at least give a good reason for canceling the game- make a real sequel to Chrono Trigger (not Cross).

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I could care less, considering I've never even heard of this project before. I think that instead of trying to make a good fan game, people should spend that time on making a good original game. That way, we wouldn't have all of these C&Ds stopping anticipated projects in order to frustrate people.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of these groups doing fan-translation or remakes just need to get more creative with the naming.

Chrono-Trigger --> Chronologic Firing Pin, for example. That way, maybe these company's would have never picked up on it.

And yeah, it should get leaked anyway, and the creators should deny having anything to do with the leak.
smileipb2.png

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Rayder said:
Some of these groups doing fan-translation or remakes just need to get more creative with the naming.

Chrono-Trigger --> Chronologic Firing Pin, for example. That way, maybe these company's would have never picked up on it.

And yeah, it should get leaked anyway, and the creators should deny having anything to do with the leak.
smileipb2.png

But Bloody Diamond and Platinum Enhanced never got a C&D from Ninty....

The creators MUST deny, cos they had *nothing* to do with any leak
wink.gif

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Legally the group can still release just an IPS patch containing their own modifications...

but I doubt the ROM hacking group understands copyright law. Plus they said in the readme to their demo that if Square requests, they will not release it. It seems more like Square-enix is complying with the group's own terms.

Square would never actually take legal action. It would cost them more to litigate than they stand to gain. They are doing this mostly as a deterrent and are jumping on how easy it considering the ROM hacking group itself left the doors wide open and probably has no clue what claiming (international) copyright actually is.

granville said:
Now Square Enix, show that you care about the series and at least give a good reason for canceling the game- make a real sequel to Chrono Trigger (not Cross).

Radical Dreamers?

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Boycott?

Seriously, I don't buy any Square or Tecmo stuff because of what happened to the CT remake and Ninjahacker. Ok, I bought Ninja Gaiden 2, but it was pre-owned.

I hope more people are boycotting without my say so. We need to show that treating fans like shit won't be tolerated and I don't give a crap about the intellectual property laws that are at work here, no one was doing anything morally wrong and if anything they were marketting off their own backs for free.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
u have to respect the fact that someone else made a game and remade it on the ds with 2 dungeons so the least u could do is change the names or give an impression that i just got their idea and did not bend the game to what i wanted u know...
take an example of ace attorney trial maker... why did that not get hunted and chaosboi has it in his sig...
realise the fact that everyone can find out about what u are doing and esp if the company has had more eyes on it (piracy) like Crystal Chronicles, FF4 and others arm7 and save anti-pirate locks which narin keeps breaking

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Syntax Error all over again.
You DO know that Nintendo had nothing to do with ]EE[ being shut down, right?

On topics, that sucks. I'd never heard of this hack but I probably would have played it if it was that well-known in the Chrono Trigger community.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I read (yesterday) there were disputes over whether the e-mail was send in under a false IP and name, or it were real. Haven't checked back yet :/

EDIT: Looks like they can't even get a reply back from the e-mail--gives some error thing in Japanese. Take it how you will.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I already went but I took the time to read the C&D.
First it should be noted that this is far from the first time that

They took an odd approach, to my mind they would have a clear cut case for trademark infringement. As it stands you have the rather more shaky "derived works" option.
The elephant in the room though would have to be the quote of the readme, as seen in the DMCA below they quote the relevant section of law, of course these things are usually overreaching.

The DMCA, probably the most legally sound one but also the most easily avoided.

Also 5 days to comply (8th to 13th of May), seems kind of short to me for a "total wipe".

In the end though as they said "[Square Enix] can afford a frivolous lawsuit more than [chronocompendium.com] can".

To close: game on square enix.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
Legally the group can still release just an IPS patch containing their own modifications...

No, they can't. Because technically ALL ROM hacks (including translations) are illegal.
The distribution method is irrelevant, as either way copyrighted propriety code was reverse engineered to create the final result.

Squeenix are known for protecting their copyrights. A few years ago they shut down a 3D Chrono Trigger fan remake project, and that was built from the ground up for PC.
THAT should have been considered fanart and allowed to proceed. This project has no such grounds should they even wish to appeal.

So why wait til now to send the C&D? Why bother any earlier? Big projects like this often take years, and can often never come to fruition for what ever reason. Why send out the lawyers til you know when they intend to release it?

The fact is Squeenix are well within their rights to aggressively pursue anyone threatening their copyrighted works. Period.

The group making the ROM hack have threatened to ban any beta testers who leak the final beta from their forums (woop de fucking do!)

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the big difference between gaming on consoles/handheld and a PC. On the PC most company's will welcome hacks and mods, while on consoles/handhelds companies will threaten to sue.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
lol, thats why Square Enix is lame, they never gives people what they want, modding is fun and brings new life to games, look at fall out 3, you could play for a year, alll 365 day at 8 hours aday with all the current mod and still find it hard to keep up with the ones that are still coming, a year maybe crazy but your still getting a lot of game play.
FF7 would be perfect on the DS you could even , add juggling and and new power limits, with more Weapons.

p.s: would the Storyline be releasable as a fanfic ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-