First real details about Max Payne 3

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by VVoltz, Jun 12, 2009.

Jun 12, 2009
  1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Rumors actually, from Game Informer, in my opinion one of the best gamimg magazines, and if not the best, the one that has the earliest previews. This is straight from QJ's:

Some rumored details supposedly taken from the Game Informer feature have also floated up out of the Internet's depths. These haven't been confirmed yet, but according to Deeko and Shacknews, here's what the feature reveals:
    [​IMG]
    - In addition to being bald and bearded, Max is addicted to pain killers.
    - That pain killer addiction will affect gameplay.
    - The game is set in Sao Paolo, Brazil, with battles in "urban ghetto" locales.
    - "Fully destructible environments" and a cover system are in.
    - There will also be some "day and night cycles."
    - Bullet Time is now "more visceral and ultra-violent."
    - Online multiplayer is in, but no details.
    - Powered by Rockstar's RAGE technology

Yup, he looks ugly. And... Brazil?! WTF, I hope they can add that noire atmosphere the former games had, not that I have anything against Sao Paulo (looking at you Cockroach), let's see what they can pull next thou.

2. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Lmfao, I knew taking all of those painkillers in Max Payne 1+2 would bite me in the butt one day...

EDIT: Hmmm, ultra-violent slo-mo? Like in Fallout 3? SWEET.

3. kalmis

Member kalmis GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    That guy looks like Sam Fisher from SC Convictions

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    This game just fell out of my top ten most wanted games.

Max Payne should always wear a leather jacket and look like hes taking a shit. He just looks like he has a bit of gout in his foot there.

There is no need to change Max Payne, just give us a good looking game with a great story. Its not like there is a new game every year so I can't say it matters to change things.

5. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Is that even Max Payne? I think this one is going to be awkward >_>

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    May Payne is a bloody terrific set of games. Even the GBA one was decent.

They just need to keep the same atmosphere, but I'm sure Rockstar will pull it off. [​IMG]

7. rafcor

Newcomer rafcor Advanced Member

Brazil
    Might be a good game, but it should happen in ghetto?
    C'mon, I live in Sao Paulo and it isn't just about ghettos, it's just a poor version of New York, lots of buildings, cars and traffic!

Wondering how will the multiplayer will work? Will have bullet-time in it?

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Still hasn't put me off of the game [​IMG]

Well yeah Brazil, and the pain killer addict still isn't working for me, but the other stuff like Bullet Time is now "more visceral and ultra-violent." sounds great [​IMG]

9. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Well the Pain Killer thing is logic, with all the pain killer he took in the 2 first game, you would be addicted too.
    The thing that put me off is that they dropped the whole Noir thing, you can't do a Noir story in a Latin Country, shit doesn't compute.
    Oh and I saw some scan from GameInformer, and there's not trace of a Noir ambiance.

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Thanks for the heads-up, I think the Brazilian setting is a good choice!

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    i like the old char better... he looks more weird to be called a protagonist but rather an antagonist... brazil has been chosen to be an unsettled zone alot

12. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Wait.. what!? [​IMG]

Well.. those are some interesting choices.. sounds promising. As long as we can still have that cool Charles Bronson like story with great shootouts, I'm fine with it.

And I'm not from São Paulo.. but I have a lot of friends there, should be going there next month actually. I wonder how Max Payne got there.. [​IMG]

edit: found some scans: http://goonlinegames.net/2009/06/10/max-pa...scans-released/

13. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Remedy should have done the game or waited until they finished Alan Wake. Not impressed at the moment. The character looks different to what I expect from Max Payne. Time will tell.

14. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    "Next-Gen" has killed almost every decent game series. Looking at those scans Cockroachman posted, it looks like nothing but bloom.

Generic third person shooter, and here I was actually expecting something good.

Edit: Also, I'd like to know what exactly happened after Max Payne 2.

15. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I want good ol' Max back... Not a bald and fat guy wearing a trashed shirt [​IMG]

16. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I saw the cover on Giantbomb. It's obviously Bruce Willis inspired. The look screams Die Hard.

[​IMG]

He also looks a lot like Jeff Bridges in Iron Man.

[​IMG]

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    First online multiplayer: for a game that practically revolves around bullet time I am not sure how that would work; all the games I have ever seen with such a thing in multiplayer (N64 perfect dark is the only one that springs to mind right now for some reason) slowed everyone down.
    Only way I can it working is adding similar effects to what it bullet time causes: single player increased autoaim/tracking maybe with tunnel vision and/or graphics effects (body outlines, increased contrast and the like) and faster reloads.

"day and night cycles" to my mind changes the nature of the game: max payne played like an action film with lots of short fights/sequences (that you could play out however you like). This day I say this means an "adventure mode" and while I welcome the opportunity to do such a thing I am not convinced max payne is the game to do it. Hopefully it will be more than a passage between "missions" but I am not hopeful.

- "Fully destructible environments" and a cover system are in.
    Heard that one before, to my mind it will have to be nearing the rainbow 6 vegas cover system (no idea how that will work with a third person game). Looking at what rockstar have out there for such a thing does not inspire although I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt as they have proven they are capable developers more than once.

- Bullet Time is now "more visceral and ultra-violent."
    My prediction: colour slightly washes out, some blur, some zoom and a blood effect or three mixed with some ragdoll+location damage.

- That pain killer addiction will affect gameplay.
    See whatever I wrote about day and night cycles.

I have no doubt it will see me up until I look out the window and realise it is getting light but I think I am joining Hadrian in the "I can wait" club.

edit: @Akoji and "you can't do a Noir story in a Latin Country" perhaps not but check out some of the horror films from that part of the world and maybe even something like city of god (Cidade de Deus: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/ ); they may not be noir but they are as close as anything and something I can see Max Payne in.

18. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wish I was that fat. [​IMG]