Hardware First Firmware Update for 3DS

Mefisteso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, it's gonna be similiar situation like in wii? Games with built-in updates? Sure, 3dsware access will require this also.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, just thinking... "Update to SpotPass: expansion of data retrieval"
What data exactly? Might be they've already put in silent measures against flashcarts or means to do automatic firmware updates.

Just curious really.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boudincaca said:
AlanJohn said:
WAIT A MINUTE! Wasn't the update supposed to go live in May?

It's just an update, it's not THE update.

And there was several stability problems (freeze), they wont wait until may to fix those issues.

More like they had the issues fixed. However they decided not to ship with fixes so they could finish and deliver a flash cart block with the fixes.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really smart if you think about. Sure you can use flash cards w/o the update but then your stuck with an unstable system. Thus forcing many to update and hope for flash cards to get an update themselves later.

tyrran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update is pretty trivial overall, but the fact that they provided the video of the orchestra that played at Nintendo World 2011 is really nice. It showcases live action 3D video, and it's a good sound. I'm pleased with this, thanks Nintendo.

acekard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
We've updated our 3DS to 1.1.0. And it seems Ak2i still can run on it. So i think Nintendo do not block flash cart at this update.
But they're really fast this time.

BTW, our 3DS update will come out soon.

--------------
www.acekard.com
acdekard#gmail.com

waves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey Y'all
I made a video of the movie which comes with the firmware upgrade!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAxRpib7fs[/youtube]

yaynds.gif

other than that I can see no difference after the upgrade!

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lostdwarf said:
acekard said:
lostdwarf said:
can somebody please tell me if it was a forced update? Or did you have to agree to something first?

At least this update is not a forced update.

How strange... I thought the whole point of spotpass was forced updates while you sleep?..

SpotPass was thought to do this but this has never really been confirmed by anyone at Nintendo. Its merely been 'discussed'. I consider SpotPass to be more like the background downloading function like Steam. It could be used to download new firmware obviously but I've never seen any confirming news about this.

waves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ah btw, you can treat the 3DS more like a cell phone now. meaning it's always one. because this cool loader comes with the 3DS you just put it to the charge stand whenever you come home and just close the lid instead of shutting it down completely.
at least I observed this on my own behaviour. the 3DS pretty much is never turned off in my case.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It kinda makes sense that this firmware update does not contain any blocks to flashcarts. It's most likely been in the works for a few months now, so that it could be made available upon release. Remember that you need 2-3 months lead time to get stuff from your factories to a store. So this was more of a release day firmware patch than anything else. They certainly have not had the time to analyse and test a new firmware for addressing the current flashcart issue. Firmware updates are expensive to recall so you really really need to test them carefully even for potentially 'minor' issues.

I suspect that the big 'May' update will contain some anti flashcart protection.

Here's a big conspiracy for you guys since many seem apt to indulge in such silliness. Nintendo purposely made the 3DS compatible with flashcarts. That way you would buy it thinking that you can play all your 3DS games. Then in May, BAM, all your flashcarts are blocked permanently. Now you're forced to go out and re-buy your DSi that you traded in to play your older games. Amusing no? Feel free to hash this out amongst yourselves.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
acekard said:
We've updated our 3DS to 1.1.0. And it seems Ak2i still can run on it. So i think Nintendo do not block flash cart at this update.

--------------
www.acekard.com
acdekard#gmail.com
Just curious. Is acekard working on a 3DS mode flashcart?
tongue.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waves said:
ah btw, you can treat the 3DS more like a cell phone now. meaning it's always one. because this cool loader comes with the 3DS you just put it to the charge stand whenever you come home and just close the lid instead of shutting it down completely.
at least I observed this on my own behaviour. the 3DS pretty much is never turned off in my case.

If I wanted my 3DS to act like a phone, why wouldn't I just carry an iPhone instead? It does the same thing if not more than a 3DS. Nintendo really really needs to address this future problem with some better store integration and such. Otherwise your situation will come true where people are just going to have their iPhone or Android phones for gaming instead. Certainly you can't make the case that phones are not powerful enough to run games. Certainly visually the iPhone and Android phones can do things the DSi/3DS (other than the 3D thing) can't even begin to accomplish.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
acekard said:

--------------
www.acekard.com
acdekard#gmail.com
Just curious. Is acekard working on a 3DS mode flashcart?
tongue.gif

To be honest I kinda wish Acekard would implement some 'new' features like Real Time Save or an in game text viewing. That kind of thing is certainly do able rather than the dubious prospect of making a cart 3DS mode compatible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvojgRvNriw