ROM Hack Fire Emblem if/Fates - Need help with RE work ( subtitles )

Raytwo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to make a full patch of Fire Emblem if for HANS ( Anya Houkoku / Conquest for the moment ) and I've come across a problem.

I combined the fan translation with the official translation, keeping the official menus and stuff but using the fan translation for the missions, My Room and a few dialogues, the names and the items names.
I also kept the japanese voices because the english dub is just... urgh.

What I need help with is a feature found only in the english version : subtitles.

I already located the file containing the subtitles ( MovieSubtitles.bin.lz ) in Fates and added it in the ExeFS of FE:if, the translation patch is working flawlessly except for a character in the font which seems to not be read correctly but that's another thing.

I already took the code.bin from the japanese version of Conquest and the english version of the Special Edition and compared them in a debugger ( IDA Pro ) and located what seems to be the subroutine used for movies but... I actually have nearly no experience with ASM except Pokemon hacking on GBA and I feel like I won't find the solution alone.

So what I already did is :
- Located the subroutine in Fates's code.bin and copied it at the end of the one from FE:if -> No crash when running the game, but when checking the file in IDA Pro I noticed the instructions where not the same at all ( the program didn't notice it was actually a subroutine, it just put a commentary about a chunk in the middle of the instructions so I guess it was not the way to go )

- Located the same subroutine in FE:if and replaced it with Fates' instead -> Black screen after the loading of the extdata ( when the opening cutscene is supposed to play ) so I guess I'm on the good way, but when checking the subroutine in IDA Pro, I also get different and missing instructions and that's what I don't understand.

Since I copied the subroutine without any change, isn't it supposed to be exactly the same when I check the subroutine in IDA Pro?

If possible I would appreciate some guidance about what I did wrong, even better would be a link to a tutorial but I doubt there's actually a tutorial which explains exactly what I need. Or if you're interested in helping, that would be great !

I added a screenshot of the subroutine as an attached file, feel free to check. ( left is Fates, right is If )
As you can see, I copied the subroutine in Fates but it doesn't display the same at all ( even if I didn't change all the offsets yet but for now I would like the subroutines to be the same on both sides... )

PS: Sorry for my English btw, it's not my native language

Attachments

• if vs Fates.PNG
    if vs Fates.PNG
    56.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by Raytwo,
Reactions: MarkDarkness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.