Hacking Finalizing Setup, cannot update. Help please!

gatortip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm following 3ds.hacks.guide to install cfw on my New 3DSXL. When I started, I was at Version 11.0.0-33U. I read the whole guide twice and have been working through it very carefully. Everything was smooth sailing until I got to "Finalizing Setup - Section II - Updating the System. It looks like it connect to the internet, tries to update, and then I get an error that says, "An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted." There is no error number or anything else.

Following the guide, I did confirm that my DNS is set to auto. Same error. I then followed the CTRTransfer guide. That went smoothly until Section II #24, which again instructs me to do a system update. Same error. Triple-checked DNS, still auto. My system is now at Version 11.5.0-38U, so it looks like that went okay. Still cannot update though.

I tried power-cycling my router, just in case it really was a connection issue. I tried manual DNS and back to auto. None of that worked. I don't want to start just clicking things, so I'm hoping someone here can help! Thank you!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
There's no issues if you don't update, just means there may be some games you won't be able to play (not sure if there are even any games that require 11.6+ anyway) and you won't be able to play online, but even if you were up to date your internet problems might have stopped that anyway. If you have ever used a Wii U or Switch you may have blocked Nintendo's servers on your router, so maybe check that.

gatortip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no issues if you don't update, just means there may be some games you won't be able to play.

Well that's a relief! So I can just move onto the next section?

If you have ever used a Wii U or Switch you may have blocked Nintendo's servers on your router, so maybe check that.

I do have a Switch. I checked my routers "Blocked Services" and there isn't anything listed there. Is there somewhere else I should be checking?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well that's a relief! So I can just move onto the next section?

I do have a Switch. I checked my routers "Blocked Services" and there isn't anything listed there. Is there somewhere else I should be checking?
I think if you did it yourself you would know where to check, so probably you didn't block Nintendo's servers. Not sure why your console won't update!

gatortip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see! No, I didn't purposely block them :P

Oh well! I seem to be up and running and I don't think I'll ever play online, so it might never matter. If I ever figure it out, I'll come back and share.

Thanks for your speedy reply!!

gatortip

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. I accidentally got it to work and I have no idea why. I booted into the Luma menu (holding select during boot) for a different reason. Didn't end up changing anything. Pressed start to continue the normal boot and it asked me to update. Everything went fine. Solved, I guess!

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill