Final Fantasy IV The After

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by megawalk, Dec 2, 2008.

Dec 2, 2008

Final Fantasy IV The After by megawalk at 7:50 PM (1,234 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. megawalk
    OP

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ff4after/top.html

Square Enix announced awhile ago perhaps a Final Fantasy IV afterstory
    today some new things got added and for the people who haven't seen it yet
    it's a good idea to do.
    everyone known became a little older Cid is a old bearded hag now [​IMG]
    and a whole row of new characters got added
    same as the GBA version only a little smaller
    i suggest you go watch the site for more info related to this game

2. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Looks interesting, but it's doubtful it will be released outside of Japan. And I don't see why they won't develop for cell phones actually worth playing games on. I had Brew on my old junk phone that couldn't do much of anything. Why not target Windows Mobile? Pocket PCs trump cell phones, plain and simple.

Oh, right. Because this is Square Enix.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Maybe they'll put it on DSiWare or something. Other choices could be iPhone or maybe a GBA hack of FF4Advance could be done.

4. dib

United States
    iPhone sounds even worse than what we know they're doing with it. Touch screen only? Having to own a goddamn iPhone? I don't want to play this badly enough, and neither should anybody else.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    an android port would be nice, at least then you could play it on an emulator.... even if you don't own a android device

6. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Isn't this old news? As in, like, ancient news?

7. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Old news. Like before the NA FF4 remake. It probably wasn't mentioned here but it was released around February.

8. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    "Cell Phone game" could mean many things S60, J2ME, iPhone, WinMo, Android?

9. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    I played this.
    It's awesome. The story is a sequel to FF4, the main character being Cecil and Rosa's kid.
    Plays exactly like FF4 with some nice little extras. It's a game that is released in chapters, one per month (if I remember well).

I'm not in Japan anymore so I don't have access to it anymore... :'(

Edit: Oh and dib, you say that because you haven't seen what japanese keitai can do, hehe [​IMG]

10. dib

United States
    I'm not interested in any kind of phone that doesn't allow you to install your own software. Otherwise, you're just talking about the privileges that you're given by the carrier, conforming to a certain user experience. Anything that is offered by one of those smartphones is also accomplished by a PPC, and then some. Can they install programs for all of telnet, bittorrent, ftp, mIRC, AIM+MSN+Yahoo+Jabber, their own web browser choice (I use the Opera mobile and the Skyfire betas on mine), etc?

11. Blebleman

Canada
    Absolutely not, and the whole thing reeks of DRM.
    What they do have is incredible support for those who don't do these things. The online software downloads absolutely dwarf the Apple App Store (or Cydia, for that matter). Mobile-style web browsing is free, from anywhere in the country, and PC-style browsing is available, but at a cost.

I agree that I'm quite happy with all the awesome stuff I can do with my smartphone, but I kinda miss playing Front Mission, FF4TA, not to mention online Bomberman and the horde of quick-playing MMOs. (having MMOs in the train rocks.)

Too bad the iPhone can't access Softbank's app store. Oh well, I'll just steal my girlfriend's cellphone when we're back in Japan. [​IMG] Best of both worlds! [​IMG]

12. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    +1 Finally someone thinks exactly like me!
    That's why I love Nokia S60. You don't need App store or iTunes or any other software. You'll just send .sis to phone and voila.

13. dib

United States
    App stores are fun and all, but the fun is kind of ruined when they want to charge you something like $5/monthly for a Tetris game or something equally generic. You would have a phone bill of $200 to get much out of your phone.

They're just no substitute for managing it on your own. I wanted something so I could download programs online and install them myself, and that's the freedom Windows Mobile provides me. Plus, it's great having a 'phone' that has a full Windows Explorer browser, registry, and a lot of other similarities to the desktop OS.

Not to mention I use mobile internet a lot, and there's just no comparison between a buttons only interface and one with a touch screen.

The only thing I'm really missing is worthwhile gaming, which is why I wish these companies would look at mobile as more of a platform than 'well we're going to release on this brand of phone only'. I've installed a few homebrews, NES and Gameboy+GBC emulators, but I haven't seen anything commercially available that might really be worth checking out. They just don't seem to develop for it, which seems odd because everybody owns a cell phone now days. Those of us that pay a lot of money for a decent phone beyond the free one they usually throw in, aren't averse to paying for a couple games to play on it. As I see it, companies like Square are making a mistake by ignoring a potential market.

14. Blebleman

Canada
    They're simply afraid of us, the "we go around our problems" people. They prefer the "safe, reassuring" realm of DRM.
    Sacrificing Freedom for safety.....(and here come the politics)

I vote Freedom [​IMG]

15. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    +2

those who sacrifice their freedom in the hope of safety deserve neither and will loose both