FF7 Mod Porting Research And Releases

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by Ryft, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ryft
    OP

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I figured I would just make a general thread for sharing any properly converted FF7 mods from PC to Switch. It's also a good place to ask related questions or share knowledge about converting.

EDIT: I removed my mod pack because there are better ones available with bug fixes, etc. Search in this thread and the New Threat thread for downloads.

Last edited by Ryft, Apr 12, 2019
  2. BringMeBack

BringMeBack Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2019
    Russia
    Thank you! Will follow this thread.

Also it will be great if we find any way to run FF7 at 16:9

Last edited by BringMeBack, Apr 2, 2019
    Ryft likes this.
  3. Ryft
    OP

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I was trying to alter the resolution or at least get rid of the black border. I know it will make the game look stretched but I still want to attempt it.

4. Mrdx

Mrdx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Do you know if there are any ports for FFIX mods?

5. Ryft
    OP

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Haven't looked into it but if the file structure is similar, it shouldn't be hard to port some of them. I may look into it after I mess around with FF7 some more. On a related note, what's the best tool to view the romfs layout of a game file? Are there any good guides?

Last edited by Ryft, Apr 2, 2019
  6. Hurricanered

Hurricanered Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    France
    Hi I'm joining the community today, thanks for your hardwork, I'm french and i've been using Neo Midgar new translation en steam version of the game. I own a switch and I was wondering if it's possible to port that translation to the switch version as well ? I'd really love to play with the new translation on the go :)

7. Ryft
    OP

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    A graphical modder is working with me on trying to port his massive mod to the Switch. We are looking for anyone who has modding experience using layeredFS, has any knowledge on the switches texture limitations, etc. Here is a sample screenshot of some of his mod work running on the switch:

[​IMG]

So far, this is all we have working since the game crashes as soon as I enter the first battle. If anyone is interested, leave a post here and we will get you into the discord for the project. Thanks!

Last edited by Ryft, Apr 2, 2019
  8. hallo23

hallo23 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    Damn that looks sick. :O
    Guess I'm gonna wait before I replay FF7 again.

9. FelipeBuch

FelipeBuch Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Brazil
  10. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I would love if anyone looked into how to get any mod running when the system language (and thus the game's language) is not English. I don't mind the game "becoming" English when a Mod is applied, or somehow altering it so that it runs in English even when the System language isn't English. I just don't want to set my Switches system language to English only to run FF7 mods, because they only work with the English version.

Last edited by wurstpistole, Apr 2, 2019
  11. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Depending on language and how global_metadata is done, it's possible to swap string from one language to another, if string for swapped language is not shorter than english string.

12. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    Now this actually looks like a version of FFVII i'd like to play. is this mod available for the Steam version? How is it called?

13. wakabayashy

wakabayashy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    France
    can't wait this mod, the graphic is awesome !

btw, can someone port the AC MOD please ?

14. Ryft
    OP

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    1NOOB likes this.
  15. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I just want to know if the use of LayeredFS through Atmosphere to mod an offline game like this would cause a ban.

16. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    I played and completed Dark Souls with music replacement mod, always online, never got banned. I think it’s more probable get banned when modding Nintendo first party titles and using those for cheating.

17. keegokahgo

keegokahgo Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    United States
    @Ryft, I used your pack from the other New Threat thread (thank you) and I'm posting this here as well for visibility -

New Threat may be broken in terms of how the source points work, because instead of the 5 sources (plus whatever bonus you choose) you get with each rank up, I'm only getting 1 source (plus 1 or 2 sources depending on your bonus choice). Watched someone's playthrough of New Threat and you are indeed supposed to receive 5 + your bonuses. Another thing to note is that I originally started a new game with just New Threat (cottonMOUSE's release) and then switched to Ryft's pack (NT, chaOS, Anxious Hearts OST) once I escaped Midgar, just outside of Kalm, since I figured chaOS and new OST wouldn't clash with any script changes that NT made. Restarted another fresh save using just NT now just to be sure - I'm almost out of Midgar so I can get up to the point where I can actually confirm if source points are broken or not, but just an FYI for anyone interested in playing through with NT that the rank up system may be broken somehow on Switch.

Update: New Threat is actually broken, as you don't receive the amount of source points your supposed to with each rank up. Just got to the point where ranking up becomes available, using a fresh save and just the NT mod.

Last edited by keegokahgo, Apr 3, 2019
    cucholix likes this.
  18. MrEffler22

MrEffler22 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2019
    United States
    Midgar
    Glad you guys are liking the project. It’s a massive project to try and port to the switch but we are going to try our hardest to do so. This project is actually unreleased as of right now it’s been in development for 7yrs. The PC version will be released soon we just merged with Echo-S which you can find a video of on Tsunamods Twitch. Just look for the almost six hour video titled “main characters”. In that video he shows of a lot of our work model wise. Thanks in advance for all the support and assistance/knowledge on porting mods to the switch.

19. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Of course. Like any CFW use on a system that goes online.

20. BringMeBack

BringMeBack Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2019
    Russia
    Omg, this looks sick