Few questions about Twilight hack and such.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Distrance, Nov 23, 2008.

Nov 23, 2008
  1. Distrance
    OP

Member Distrance GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    1. Will the Twilight hack work if my console is 3.1E ? All info I found that it must be 3.2E, but it didn't specifically say anything about lower versions.

2. Starfall. Do I need this for some particular reason ? Region free games sounds nice, but since I am already able to play NTSC games on my PAL Console with colors ( With FreeLoader of course ), why would I need to bother with Starfall ? ( I do have RGB cable for Wii which I am using too )

3. If something goes wrong and my Wii will '' brick '' ( Whatever that's supposed to mean ), is my Wii done for good and there is no way to fix it ?

4. Do I need WiFi for all of this to work ? I saw some video about using Homebrew and it would say something about '' Connecting to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ''... Is that my SD card or some address I need to connect to ?

5. Will backup games be playable online even if they're downloaded ? Also, does the online gaming exactly even work even with legal games ? All I could find on the subject is people whining how it lags *so goddamnit much* that it is definitely unplayable.

6. I read something about games not working through the normal Disc Channel. Does this only concern backup games, and normal purchased games will still work through it ?

I realise some, or maybe all, could be found on the forums.. But I've spent few good hours on this subject, as I just found about this whole thing today, and these questions are that I didn't find an answer for. Would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer all of this, with a simple detailed answers with a proper grammar, so that I will definitely understand.

Ps. Does anyone know if Tales of Symphonia : Dawn of the New World Undub is already released/is being worked on/will ever be created ?

Please do not tell me to use search function, as I stated, I could not find the answers with it.

Thank you for your time reading and answering my (stupid) questions. All answers will be greatly appreciated.

2. Sorox

Member Sorox Master Firo Soul

United States
    1. Will the Twilight hack work if my console is 3.1E ? All info I found that it must be 3.2E, but it didn't specifically say anything about lower versions. AS far as i know, it doesnt matter what update your on as long as its not 3.3.2 or 3.4

2. Starfall. Do I need this for some particular reason ? Region free games sounds nice, but since I am already able to play NTSC games on my PAL Console with colors ( With FreeLoader of course ), why would I need to bother with Starfall ? ( I do have RGB cable for Wii which I am using too )
    Its a Custom system menu. Its not needed.

3. If something goes wrong and my Wii will '' brick '' ( Whatever that's supposed to mean ), is my Wii done for good and there is no way to fix it ?Once Bootmii is released, it wont matter. It does something to unbrick wiis i think. Its really rare that youll brick your wii anyway as long as you know what youre doing.

4. Do I need WiFi for all of this to work ? I saw some video about using Homebrew and it would say something about '' Connecting to 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ''... Is that my SD card or some address I need to connect to ? Certain Homebrew apps use Wifi but you dont need it to install The TP hack. That number you were talking about is your IP adress and the only reason it shows that is if you want to update your HBC when theres a update.

5. Will backup games be playable online even if they're downloaded ? Also, does the online gaming exactly even work even with legal games ? All I could find on the subject is people whining how it lags *so goddamnit much* that it is definitely unplayable. Most games work with Backup Launcher 0.3g on wifi. Certain games like Animal crossing and DBZ:BT3 have laggy or unplkayable wifi sometimes. DBZ online just sucks but animal crossings is laggy and what not because so many people are connectiong.

6. I read something about games not working through the normal Disc Channel. Does this only concern backup games, and normal purchased games will still work through it ?On certain occasians, people have had problems with playing original games with the Disc channel with legal games but that can be worked around using Gecko OS.

I realise some, or maybe all, could be found on the forums.. But I've spent few good hours on this subject, as I just found about this whole thing today, and these questions are that I didn't find an answer for. Would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer all of this, with a simple detailed answers with a proper grammar, so that I will definitely understand.

Ps. Does anyone know if Tales of Symphonia : Dawn of the New World Undub is already released/is being worked on/will ever be created ?No idea.

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wrong! Starfall is one of the most useful tools in homebrew because of one patch it does: allows for a rescue menu. Basically if you install a bad WAD and get a banner brick, if you don't have Starfall installed, you're screwed (unless you have a modchip). With Starfall installed, you use the rescue menu and the Twilight hack, boot WAD manager, and uninstall the bad WAD. You're Wii is back from the dead!

4. Sorox

Member Sorox Master Firo Soul

United States
    It doesnt help with regualar bricks though. And the rescue function wont really be as awesome once Forsaekens cSM comes out. Screw Starfall once that comes out.

5. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I thought Savemiifrii did the same

6. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    hence cSM isn't out (yet), and my Wii could brick, I don't know around TODAY..!!! and if I don't have installed the cSM previous of the brick there's nothing I can do, I will say:

"It is safer to install Starfall, faster than Freeloader, and definitely, doesn't harm your Wii if it's installed"

you can do whatever you please with your Wii of course, it is up to you to install it or not to install (that is the question...XD)

7. Distrance
    OP

Finland
    Hmm.. Thanks for replies so far. About Starfall, it says on the WiiBrew that :
    '' These hacks only work with the System Menu 3.2E(v290) or 3.2U(v289). If you have any other version, it will just return to the loader. ''

But because I have 3.1E, how am I supposed to get 3.2 on my console ? I know there are tools to downgrade my system, but this is about upgrading.

Also if games I want to play will ask me to install firmware update, is there anyway to bypass this ? Will the Twilight hack disable this and I can boot games anyway, or what ?

Lastly, what do I need to '' patch '' the games for, as the Howto.txt I read suggests ? I would need to patch the iso, another one would be created, and I would need to burn that to a disc instead. Or will that specifically disable the firmware updates ?

Edit : On the howto.txt it says I need to download the .rar compilation for all files needed. However this rar file contains also more zips or rar files. Do I need to extract those aswell into the SD card or put them there as zips ? Also can I create folders to the SD card so browsing will be easier, or will I need to dump all files to the root ?

Edit 2 : More questions, lol.... After I have installed Homebrew, do I need to restart wii ? What about with WADManager... I need to install DVDx, Safe 3.3u and channel.wad. Do I need to restart between installing each of these files ? As for '' Safe 3.3u '', that means it's the NTSC firmware right, as I have 3.1E ? If I install that, won't my Wii get messed up ?

8. breakdaze

Newcomer breakdaze Advanced Member

United States
    Distrance,

About Starfall...

First get the TH to run and install The Homebrew Channel. Then use Any Region Changer to install 3.2E. Then install Starfall patches except Health Screen. BGM optional, of course. For Starfall banner brick fix to work keep TH save on Wii permanently, or at least before installing any new WADs.

I know you used search, but in case you didn't see it yet, the wiki at wiibrew is very organized and should be read a bit to get more of a clue about TH, HBC, ARC, and Starfall.

Good luck.

9. Distrance
    OP

Finland

I do know about the WiiBrew site, but all those weird terms made me even more confused. I think I get it now... But I'm most concerned about if the restarts are needed between installation of each file AND Installing the Safe 3.2U onto my PAL Wii which is 3.1E. I just read where someone screwed his Wii by converting his US Wii to European Wii.

10. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    sometimes you do - sometimes not. The last 7 i did yesterday didnt need a restart.
    DVDx is for VERY VERY old files - no longer needed ( WHERE DID U GET THSES BLOODY FILES ???? )
    Safe update is if you want to use the shop channel - it installed the ios51 and the shop channel update and it can be used in any regios - the U in that is a bit of a red herring - just ignore it, but its not required unless you want to use the shop channel.

11. Distrance
    OP

Finland
    Which one of your files do I get ?

WiiBackUp v.0.3b.zip OR
    WiiGator Gamma 03 ?

Lul I'm confused [​IMG]