Favorite Video Game Franchises?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Master Dimentio, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Master Dimentio
    OP

Master Dimentio The Pleaser Of Crowds

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Making my perfect world.
    Now here's an interesting one. Spanning across multiple generations of consoles there have been those game series that have left us amazed and begging for more. So today, I want to hear from you the tempers what your top 5 favorite gaming franchises are. Whether it be PC, Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, it doesn't matter. Let's hear of the game series that mean the most to you.

Also if you want you could even tell us why your choices are your favorites. Here I'll start.

Sly Cooper Series (Sony)
    Pokemon (Nintendo)
    Mother/Earthbound Series (Nintendo)

Well while I don't have 5, I will list one game that may technically be it's own series if it's a single game... so in that case.

Undertale (PC)

TheVinAnator and Dr.Hacknik like this.

2. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | Furry Lewd Cat Gril

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    • Cough Sonic the Hedgehog Cough
    • Megaman (Preferably the Megaman X and Zero series(s))
    • I like Pokemon (played since black/white for the DS)
    • Team Fortress 1 & 2
    • Half Life (1, 2, and Episodes 1-2)
    • But, not the cancer, that is Overwatch.
    I personally am a PC gamer, more than a console gamer. Yet, the only Consoles I have are a Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, 3DSXL, and a PS1. Then my Gaming PC x3

3. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Wat how is Overwatch cancer. Well then. Says the one who loves Sonic XD /s I love sonic too.

Hmm this is a tough one
    -Persona: I've only beat Persona 4 Golden but hey that is one of my if not my favourite game of all time!
    -The Legend Of Zelda: I've technically only beat OOT 3D but hey I've still played many others almost beating some and just really think they're all cool.
    -Portal: I absolutely love these games! The gameplay is great but the writing is fantastic.
    -Pokemon: I've played and beat most of the game's and have always loved them, pokemon shall always be one of my favourites.
    Mario: I mean I've played many of the games and had such a blast, who doesn't enjoy mario?
    Things I'd also like to somehow squeeze into this list are Sonic and Kirby! It's hard to pick full game franchises for me. :P

Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    SMT
    Persona
    Pokemon (Expect Pokemon Sun/Moon)
    Pokemon MD
    Zelda
    Harvest Moon
    Monster Hunter
    Are the ones I normally always play through.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  5. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    As for me...Just look at my signature below.

Last edited by hiroakihsu, Mar 13, 2017
  6. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    I don't know why but batman arkham series, played all of them even though the last one was a bit disappointing.
    I also used to play assassins creed, I loved till fifth series (ac3) then i stopped playing.
    3rd one is gta series, because it's gta.
    4th fifa games, even if every year same gameplay with improvements.
    5th dragon ball, even played xenoverse 2. But i remember the good old times with budokai and tenkaichi series for ps2.

1- Batman
    2- assassin's creed
    3-gta
    4-fifa
    5- dbz

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    1- The Legend of Zelda
    2- Final Fantasy
    3- Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross
    4- Metroid Prime
    5- Spyro the Dragon

8. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    1. super mario galaxy 1&2
    2. pokemon
    3. elder scrolls

9. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

I have beaten hundreds of videogames but nothing has ever come close to that franchise. If they ever release one for the Switch, I'm gonna buy it. Even if it's the only game I'd ever buy of the console.

VinsCool likes this.
  10. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    the first 3ds onw was the only one I ever played. played it like crazy though.

Vipera likes this.
  11. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    In no order, Final fantasy, Pokemon, Zelda, Unreal Tournament, and Mystery Dungeon

12. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2013
    Iceland
    Racing:
    Mario kart.
    Need for speed
    Froza horizon
    Platform:
    Mario
    Donkey kong
    Wonder boy/adventure island
    Metroidvania games
    Rpg:
    Paper mario
    Pokemon
    Ys
    Fps:
    Nothing
    Sports:
    Tennis

13. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    That's a tough one.

Persona, for sure. Shin Megami Tensei to a lesser extent.
    Ace Attorney is another good one, though I only REALLY enjoy the first 3 and Investigations.
    Zero Escape is a solid series, specifically 999.
    Trails series is insanely detailed, Tales of series is good, Suikoden, lots of older RPG series.
    Dishonored and Fallout are top tier.
    Pokemon, at least the older ones. And Mystery Dungeon Sky.
    Fire Emblem might be one of my favorites of all time.
    Animal Crossing probably tops everything for me, though

Byokugen and TheVinAnator like this.
  14. MollyChan

MollyChan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2016
    Canada
    The top five favourite video game series I can think of at the moment for me are probably
    -Mega Man
    -Super Mario
    -The Legend of Zelda
    -Pokemon
    -Kirby
    Mario and Zelda, I've been playing all my life. I found out about Pokemon and Kirby via Super Smash Bros. Melee, and am glad that my younger self got really interested in them from reading all those Trophy descriptions. And as for Mega Man, I found out about that series in a Nintendo Power issue that was revealing Mega Man 9 for the first time, and it looked really cool. I'm glad I happened to start picking up Nintendo Power magazines with that issue, as the Mega Man games are (mostly) fun to play, and there's enough lore and obscure things to satisfy my hunger for interesting tidbits.

15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I wish there was more kirby games but is not as many as mario or zelda. Seem Like kirby games just don't get as much production made as the other games, and they are fun. Kirby super star ultra was probably my favorite, Kirby Dreamland 3 was cool and i like the way it looked on SNES, reminds me of Yoshi's island, and return to dreamland was a good return to the classis gameplay. (Also glad someone else out there also like Mega Man. :) )

TheVinAnator likes this.
  16. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    Persona
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Metal Gear
    Disgaea
    BlazBlue
    Guilty Gaer

17. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Pokemon would be at the top of my list due to sheer amount of main-series titles I've purchased and played.

Maybe mario would be up there somewhere because I had gameboys and SNESs when I was growing up.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Tough call. I don't think I can name a franchise where I played all the games. Or even cared about all the games. To me game experiences stand on their own. For example: I had an absolute blast with starcraft 2, but never got around to even buying heart of the swarm or that third one (and I'm playing protoss, mind you).

Let's see...the honorable mention:
    -fallout series: adored 1 and 2, and though different, 3 as well. Got that vegas game in a bin and have yet to even start. Never even got around to 4. :P

5) rollercoaster tycoon: absolutely loved 1 and 2. PC wasn't powerful enough for 3 so I skipped. After that, I avoid it like the plague (unless you count parkitect as the spiritual successor).

4) C&C red alert: the first and (especially) second were good, but I feel 3 jumped the shark with added options that required more than a mouse to properly play the game (yeah...I'm a casual RTS player. Also: EA murdered westwood studios). I'm not sure if C&C counts in this franchise as well, because my opinions on those games are all over the place (original was great, tiberian sun terrible, 3 was meh and I never even bothered 4).

3) Donkey kong (country (returns) ). I really don't know why I like this franchise so much, but I can't deny I like pretty much all original games. I liked the game & watch ones, adored Mario vs donkey kong on gameboy and gameboy advance (the mini things on mobiles were okay but not as good), adored rare's SNES games and bought the wii and wiiu games blind (the first one even despite the fact that my console was hacked).
    The thing is: Those game & watch games, the GB(A) mobiles, the (3)DS ones and the later console versions were all wildly different. Granted, I like the character (both as a villain and as a character), but aside from the solid console games I don't know why I like these so much.

2) Zelda: I've far from played all versions and sometimes quit on some version, but the ones I really got "into" are among the best games I've ever played. Link's awakening was a masterpiece, loved the oracle ones, loved the wii versions, now loving BOTW. And for some reasons, four swords adventure on gamecube also does it. The strange thing is that I don't have any anticipation on these things. I don't get the appeal of the NES versions and lost patience on the SNES version at some point. Even stranger is that I've bought ocarina of time 3D as one of the few games for my 3DS and after a couple of hours I just "meh"-ed and played something else.

1) Unreal Tournament: this just HAD to be the top spot. I've played UT2004 for YEARS, and the original UT not much less. UT3 took some steps in the wrong direction (namely in the UI and vehicles) but on hindsight it wasn't terrible. Oh, and the original unreal also has a soft spot in my heart (note: since you only needed a free mod/mutator for UT, this was technically part of Unreal Tournament :) ).
    ...but even this franchise is not without flaws. UT2003 has it easy: my computer wasn't strong enough to properly handle it, and by the time I got that UT2004 was released. Unreal 2 is just an example how NOT to do a sequel (it was like they started by making a list of everything that made unreal great, like music, holistic level design, the unfolding of story, the mix of sci-fi & medieval ...and then toss all that out the window). And even stranger: the makers are now making a new version that will be totally free to play, and thus far does everything right in my book...yet I can't even bother with it (granted: since it was in early access then, it didn't have much content yet).

19. RedRedWine

RedRedWine Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2017
    United States
    I really like the original simple mario games for nes/snes/gba.

Now, I do not know, there are soooooo many games. I just have been playing Dota 2, reminds me of Guild Wars PVP (this game is inactive now)

Plus, If you learn other languages, you start to realize there are games in russian, spanish, japanese, ukrainian, arabic, etc. that you never heard of, but wish you did.

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Bioshock.
    Kingdom Hearts
    Grand Theft Auto (4 and 5 stink)