Fat PS2 making a clicking noise while reading some discs

Yerkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've just bought a fat PS2 (SCPH-30001) that came yesterday that is making a clicking noise while reading some discs (tried 3 PS2 games and 2 DVD movies, and I can hear a clicking noise with both movies and one game - the most scratched one). Should I worry about it? I'll leave a video showing the problem.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

You can maybe see this as a "Sign".
Maybe you can consider a
- HDD Adapter (Sony´s Original for IDE or an 3rd Party for SATA HDDs).
- A HDD (depending on the Adapter)

No longer "Clicking" only smooth and calm (and fast) Game Loading.

Maybe interested ? :D

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK that’s the laser trying to focus, personally I’d avoid using the disc drive as much as possible and use a HDD adapter if you can.

However, without replacing the laser, you may be able to kludge this by cleaning the leans (cleaning discs exist) or adjusting the POT (i.e. increase power to the laser), although eventually the laser will die.

Reactions: Yerkz

Yerkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's just the laser. Nothing really to worry about unless it's scratching your discs.
It isn't scratching any thankfully :D

Good Morning.:)

You can maybe see this as a "Sign".
Maybe you can consider a
- HDD Adapter (Sony´s Original for IDE or an 3rd Party for SATA HDDs).
- A HDD (depending on the Adapter)

No longer "Clicking" only smooth and calm (and fast) Game Loading.

Maybe interested ? :D
There's a 320GB inside the console, but I have some physical games and like to play them sometimes, although I usually play from HD.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Yerkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
AFAIK that’s the laser trying to focus, personally I’d avoid using the disc drive as much as possible and use a HDD adapter if you can.

However, without replacing the laser, you may be able to kludge this by cleaning the leans (cleaning discs exist) or adjusting the POT (i.e. increase power to the laser), although eventually the laser will die.
If it just the laser trying to focus I don't have to worry about it scratching any disc, right?

Yerkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have another fat PS2 here (a 39001) that has a blown fuse and now it can't send energy to make the controller vibrate. I wanted to fix it but couldn't find anyone who could do the service for me where I live since I can't do soldering. Is it possible to switch the drives or at least the laser from the 39001 to the 30001 if its laser dies someday?

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have another fat PS2 here (a 39001) that has a blown fuse and now it can't send energy to make the controller vibrate. I wanted to fix it but couldn't find anyone who could do the service for me where I live since I can't do soldering. Is it possible to switch the drives or at least the laser from the 39001 to the 30001 if its laser dies someday?
You can buy the laser assemblies online, but beware that the different models use different laser assemblies so I'd be skeptical to a transplant unless it came from the same model. I've seen a list a while back, but can't for the life of me find it again now, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can give you more info on this

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the clicking sound is usually the laser having trouble moving. you can sometimes grease it up, but a lot of the time, it's better to get a new laser for say $25 or so. my ps2 does the same thing, just don't have the money to fix it right now.

Yerkz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm thinking about returning it and look for another one. But beside the laser the PS2 I got is in amazing condition and I don't know if I'll find another one like this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: