Fantasy Life on a 3DS

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Final Fantasy veterans artist Yoshitaka Amano and composer Nobuo Uematsu have paired to make it.

This was another title revealed at the Level-5 presser in Japan today. Other titles included Time Travelers, Ni no Kuni and a hostess game for 3DS.

No details of Fantasy Life gameplay were offered, but screens are below.

ss_preview_fantasy_life_001.jpg.jpg

click spoiler for more screens
ss_preview_fantasy_life_002.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_fantasy_life_003.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_fantasy_life_004.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_fantasy_life_005.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_fantasy_life_006.jpg.jpg

2132429380.jpg

2132429378.jpg

Do you think its ok to turn ds games into 3ds games, or does the idea of ds art assets and character models turn you off?

EDIT: 2 Extra screens added

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is rather interesting. I'm always into how games evolve from previous forms too. It used to be 2D when it was on DS. Here's what it looked liked back then-
view_320200_1_1251240741.jpg

You can even see that little merchant with the turban in those shots. I really enjoy seeing the changes in games during development!
biggrin.gif

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
granville said:
This is rather interesting. I'm always into how games evolve from previous forms too. It used to be 2D when it was on DS. Here's what it looked liked back then-
view_320200_1_1251240741.jpg

You can even see that little merchant with the turban in those shots. I really enjoy seeing the changes in games during development!
biggrin.gif
I preferred the DS version to be honest, it looked a lot like an Earthbound/Mother game, probably since it's developed by Brownie Brown.
Anyways you can see the screenshots without those ugly compression artifacts here

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound/Mother style, posh.

It makes me think of Dragon Quest Monsters - Caravan Hearts
tongue.gif

Sadly most of Amano's actual art isn't used in games... but the two DS remakes of III and IV did heavily reflect his style, which made me a very happy player. Here, it looks nothing like his work--now and then however you do catch small flourishes of his style.

At least to me some of the characters do echo a little bit of Amano :/

D

Deleted_171835

It looks awesome.
Much better. I'm glad they changed it and are turning it into a standalone game. So many great games for the 3DS!

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Well, though I was quite partial to the Motherlike style of the DS version, I've come to appreciate the 3DS's art as well as I look at it more.

Boy, Level-5 sure has taken a liking to Nintendo's new handheld. This marks their fourth title announced for it!

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Celice said:

tongue.gif

Sadly most of Amano's actual art isn't used in games... but the two DS remakes of III and IV did heavily reflect his style, which made me a very happy player. Here, it looks nothing like his work--now and then however you do catch small flourishes of his style.

Yoshitaka Amano only did the logo art for both of those DS remakes, Akihiko Yoshida did the art for FFIIIDS and the art for FFIVDS was handled by a couple of different artists IIRC.
So you can't really say that...
I'm pretty sure Amano will only do promotional art for Fantasy Life, the game itself clearly is based on the art Level 5 released when it was announced which is done by their own artists.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
Celice said:

tongue.gif

Yoshitaka Amano only did the logo art for both of those DS remakes, Akihiko Yoshida did the art for FFIIIDS and the art for FFIVDS was handled by a couple of different artists IIRC.
I'm pretty sure Amano will only do promotional art for Fantasy Life, the game itself clearly is based on the art Level 5 released when it was announced which is done by their own artists.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese...l-fantasy/29039

Have you seen any of Amano's artwork for FFIV? All the character models are highly modeled after Amano's artwork, which generally has gone to waste for all the series other than as drawings.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Celice said:
Goli said:
Celice said:

tongue.gif

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese...l-fantasy/29039

Have you seen any of Amano's artwork for FFIV? All the character models are highly modeled after Amano's artwork, which generally has gone to waste for all the series other than as drawings.
I have, since I'm a huge FF nerd, and though the models were based on his art made for the original release on IVDS, the rest wasn't handled by him.
Also, it has gone to waste on FFI-VI, but for the rest, not really, since he stopped being the character designer from VII onwards; again, promotional images only since it. (don't get me wrong though, I love Nomura and Yoshida BUT I'd love a new Final Fantasy where the art was handled by Amano exclusively
wub.gif
)

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
as hadrian said, i think the gameplay really matters and for a game like this, i definitely think a better quality and bigger models would have been better than changing the view
kinda like HM have been doing since the very first harvest moon (on the snes was it?)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cruznik71450 said:
They should make it for both DS and 3DS. I really like the style of both. But the main thing is hoping for a (U) release. I would certainly get this on launch.
"All for one,one for all" !!! As in 2D and 3D in one game.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on