Fake GBA Pokemon Games

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Mathew_Wi, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Mathew_Wi
    OP

Mathew_Wi bye

Sep 29, 2009
    I find these quite interesting, I just recently got them from someone who tried to scam me. Great guy, you'd all like him.

So I tried to "Restore" a hacked save to it (Pokemon Sapphire) using GBA Backup Tool. I dumped the save, and tried replacing the save with another. Yet strangely, it loaded the same save. It had me puzzled, so I looked into it and found that the save file is written to the rom it's self. I can confirm this because when loading the dumped rom in VBA, it loads my save file regardless of there being a .sav anywhere.

Does anyone else here happen to know of a way to overwrite the ROM or save?

2. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy ~I have crippling depression~

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Ahh... let's see how correct I can get my terms while fairly inebriated.

It's possible that GBA Backup Tool can't properly handle reading from/writing to the SRAM that the fake cart likely saves to, rather than the solid state flash that the saves normally would write to on a legitimate cart.

Also, if memory serves, Gen 3 pokemon games save to two separate spots in the save memory as a failsafe if your primary save becomes corrupted. It may be that the primary/secondary save was written but not the other.

I've never dealt with a Gen 3 cart, counterfeit or otherwise, so I may not be correct, but I think these points might be a good starting ground.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice