Homebrew F-Zero game with Unity engine?

Aeth-r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it not be possible to craft an F-Zero game with the unity engine for 3ds? Could someone send me some info on bringing a unity game to the 3ds? A racing game seems simple enough.

Reactions: KiiWii
D

Deleted User

Unity for 3DS is proprietary software, along with the official SDK which it relies on to build projects. You will first need to sign up to the official developer portal to claim your neccessary tools and licenses to be able to start developing.

With Unity, you will need to first get used to a lot of stuff within the editor (it took me ~2 weeks to properly get used to nearly all of Unity's features), alongside plenty of C# and/or JavaScript knowledge for scripting components.
If you're new to development, be sure to read up, and watch, many in-depth tutorials to aid you along the way. Unity is packed with hundreds of features and script functions to learn, and remembering all the neccessary features may not be easy.
But I digress. You might be a quick learner; you might not. You might even already know a thing or two about Unity!
All comes down to experience at the end of the day. :teach:

As for 'bringing a Unity game to the 3ds', the only option you pretty much have in terms of "legal distribution", as an individual, is submitting to the eShop. You may be putting yourself at risk if you distribute your project elsewhere outside of the official development sites; into the public's grasp. But that's another story...
If you feel that you have fully completed your project and is ready to be made public, send it over to LotCheck (the submission process), where they will evaluate your game/app to see if it is deemed suitable enough for a release on the eShop.
There are a lot of LotCheck requirements, rules, and regulations, but it's too in-depth to explain further here...

That's pretty much all the basics of development and publishing for a Unity game in a nutshell. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have and I'll try to answer them the best I can. And even though I have never had a Unity game of my own published, I know quite a bit about Unity and its features.

Oh, and if there is any more info I have missed out here, someone feel free to fill me in!

Reactions: The9thBit

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It would be very possible. If it already exists for PC it can easily be ported over to 3DS, however if you have a O3DS it will run like shit.

Aeth-r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unity for 3DS is proprietary software, along with the official SDK which it relies on to build projects. You will first need to sign up to the official developer portal to claim your neccessary tools and licenses to be able to start developing.

With Unity, you will need to first get used to a lot of stuff within the editor (it took me ~2 weeks to properly get used to nearly all of Unity's features), alongside plenty of C# and/or JavaScript knowledge for scripting components.
If you're new to development, be sure to read up, and watch, many in-depth tutorials to aid you along the way. Unity is packed with hundreds of features and script functions to learn, and remembering all the neccessary features may not be easy.
But I digress. You might be a quick learner; you might not. You might even already know a thing or two about Unity!
All comes down to experience at the end of the day. :teach:

As for 'bringing a Unity game to the 3ds', the only option you pretty much have in terms of "legal distribution", as an individual, is submitting to the eShop. You may be putting yourself at risk if you distribute your project elsewhere outside of the official development sites; into the public's grasp. But that's another story...
If you feel that you have fully completed your project and is ready to be made public, send it over to LotCheck (the submission process), where they will evaluate your game/app to see if it is deemed suitable enough for a release on the eShop.
There are a lot of LotCheck requirements, rules, and regulations, but it's too in-depth to explain further here...

That's pretty much all the basics of development and publishing for a Unity game in a nutshell. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have and I'll try to answer them the best I can. And even though I have never had a Unity game of my own published, I know quite a bit about Unity and its features.

Oh, and if there is any more info I have missed out here, someone feel free to fill me in!

I have a fair amount of experience with Unity, and I don't plan on putting it on the eShop. It would be purely a homebrew thing-- My question is about compiling it for use on a 3DS and how to go about doing that. I understand the risks of posting things about it, so the idea would be that it gets worked on mostly in silence, and drop it when it's actually done. I just really don't know how to go about testing/playing it on a 3DS.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I have a fair amount of experience with Unity, and I don't plan on putting it on the eShop. It would be purely a homebrew thing-- My question is about compiling it for use on a 3DS and how to go about doing that. I understand the risks of posting things about it, so the idea would be that it gets worked on mostly in silence, and drop it when it's actually done. I just really don't know how to go about testing/playing it on a 3DS.
Testing/playing on a 3DS would either involve a developers system for the most part since, as far as I am aware, the binaries that are output can only be played on them. You might be able to with a retail system, although that would be against the NDA as far as I am aware.

D

Deleted User

My question is about compiling it for use on a 3DS and how to go about doing that.
Of course the proper way of doing that would be to invest in a testkit/panda unit, however there are ways to go about converting the output project for use on retail, as mentioned above.

What I do to get my projects converted is just to output them as .cci (non-development build!) and use 3DS Simple CIA Converter to easily convert the .cci to .cia (you will need to rename the .cci to .3ds for the conversion to work, as 3DS S.C.C. can only detect .3ds file extensions.)
You cannot use the implemented "output as .cia" checkbox in Unity because those CIAs simply won't work immediately on a retail 3DS, so you have to always take the conversion route.

Afterwards, transfer it on over to your 3DS, install the CIA, and hope that it works out for you.
I highly recommend using Luma3DS CFW + A9LH for testing out your Unity projects, as this is what I can guarantee will 99% work, because this is my own configuration and it works almost flawlessly with my own projects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM