EZ5 Kernel 2.0 alpha (27th May 2009)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, May 27, 2009.

May 27, 2009
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    EZ5 Kernel 2.0 alpha (27th May 2009)
    Slowly adding features back in.
    [​IMG]

The EZTeam have released a new version of the upcoming 2.0 kernel for the EZ5 (all versions), this time soft reset and cheats are back. Please note there are two versions: one for SDHC cards and one for SD cards (both are in the same download from this site).
    For those new to this line it is based on moonshell 2.0 but to get it working many of the extra features have had to be ported over and have been/are absent from this line as it stands. It is however considerably faster to launch games.

[​IMG]EZFlash.cn thread
    [​IMG]EZFlash US forums thread
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG]Discuss

Thanks to Mbmax/ccosmos for the news.

2. Saylient_Dreams

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Awesome, been using the last verion, was good enough for me with brightness control, but soft reset now? I gotta try this when I get home.

3. casidepro

Member casidepro GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    oh no the cheats are in chinese!

4. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    So is this one stable enough?

5. Mbmax

Member Mbmax Homebrew addicted

Antarctica
    Just Replace USRCHEAT.DAT inside /ez5shell folder by the one from cheats.gbatemp.net. [​IMG]

Thanks FAST for the news on GBATemp.

This version has a very strong softreset mode. I appreciate greatly the work done on this.
    I have started a bug report on both chinese and USA forum (sosuke) and i encourage everyone who wants to make the k2.0 better to report SR and cheat bugs from this release. [​IMG]

6. casidepro

Member casidepro GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    ok. thanks man

7. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    hmm, testing myself, still trying both version to see which will work with my 4GB SDHC card, it currently stalls when it booting a game and black error pages the home brew I tested, saying it was 2 big or something,
    currently formating to see if that help, then ill try the SD one.

both failed:
    SD wouldn't load as expected as i have a SDHC
    SDHC Wouldn't load any homebrew/game.

8. Mbmax

Antarctica
    Yeah i know the SDHC dldi driver is not improved. It's on the todo list.

9. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland

yah, once it has that so game work then it will be perfectly usable, slap in touch screen, the old GBAtemp Skin and moonshell 2(mp3, dpg function) and we will all be flying. it may make the EZ top the Acercard firmware wise, it already does build wise.

10. Lupigen

Newcomer Lupigen Advanced Member

United States
    My experience with the alpha was the same way, games would never finish "Loading" and DSOrganize 2.7 did the 2 white screens. My specs are:
    DS Phat
    EZFlash Vi (Bought in April)
    PNY 8GB microSDHC Class 4 (From my past experience, just like the Kingston Japans, this is a rebranded Toshiba card)

Despite this, I was still able to navigate the GUI and was impressed by what I saw. It loaded up almost instantly and the scrolling and browsing were both smooth and quick. I also liked how it snapped back to my last loaded file when I started up the kernel again, good for quickly returning to a game I'm concentrating on. When this is finished and all the major bugs are worked out, it will definitely be a must-have kernel.

11. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    My experience with the alpha was the same way, games would never finish "Loading" and DSOrganize 2.7 did the 2 white screens. My specs are:
    DS Phat
    EZFlash Vi (Bought in April)
    PNY 8GB microSDHC Class 4 (From my past experience, just like the Kingston Japans, this is a rebranded Toshiba card)

Despite this, I was still able to navigate the GUI and was impressed by what I saw. It loaded up almost instantly and the scrolling and browsing were both smooth and quick. I also liked how it snapped back to my last loaded file when I started up the kernel again, good for quickly returning to a game I'm concentrating on. When this is finished and all the major bugs are worked out, it will definitely be a must-have kernel.
    [/quote]

I'm using an i, maybe ill test it with my 2gb sd

12. Swandy

Newcomer Swandy Newbie

United States
    Any ideas if this is supposed to work with the DSi? I tried it - using the EZ Flash Vi - using both a 1gb SD card and a 4gb SDHC card (both Sandisk).
    The 1GB card booted fine (quickly) but would not load any games.
    The 4GB card would not get past the booting screens.

Posts merged

Any ideas if this is supposed to work with the DSi? I tried it - using the EZ Flash Vi - using both a 1gb SD card and a 4gb SDHC card (both Sandisk).
    The 1GB card booted fine (quickly) but would not load any games.
    The 4GB card would not get past the booting screens.

13. cilantro

Newcomer cilantro Newbie

United States
    Maybe I'm too stupid, but I can't get it to work. It starts to boot, but then dies with the following message:

Code:
    Fatal error! realloc. 0x21f6688!=0x0
    Reading up I can see a few previous error messages that don't look very critical (since the EZKernel keeps going on...) For example:

Code:
    FileExistUnicode: Not find Unicode file item. [EZSkin.ini]
    All your base are belong to us! XD

My gear: EZ5 Plus with a genuine Kingston 2Gb microSD card. I tried formatting it with the Panasonic formatter, both with Frmat Size Fix and without it), didn't seem to make much difference. My best guess is that the released packages are updates and don't include all the files (that would explain the missing files error, I suppose).

Any ideas?

Edit: I fail at life. I was missing moonshel, it seems. Installing 2.0 over 1.9 beta11 did the trick. I feel so stupid...

14. Lupigen

United States
    The 4GB card is likely an SDHC card, so you would need to use the files in the SDHC zip that was also included in the download. Of course, since it didn't work with the first card, the same thing will probably happen with the second.

There is a common thread between the three of us in this topic who are having the same problems, and that is that we are all using the EZFlash Vi cards. I wonder if it's possible that some EZFlash Vi cards will need a firmware update before they are able to fully use 2.0?

15. raing3

Member raing3 CNET_Richard

Australia
    Can't wait to try this out, haven't been able to use the previous 2 releases of the 2.0 kernel because they always froze.

16. Swandy

Newcomer Swandy Newbie

United States
    I've noticed I was not the only one with a problem with 2.0 and the EZ Vi. My question is the problem with the EZ Flash Vi or is the problem being caused by the DSi?
    Anyone get version 2.0 to work on a DSi yet?

17. Mbmax

Antarctica
    I have done all my test on DSi + EZVi + 8GB Japan. [​IMG]

At last my nickname is changed ! thanks to gbatemp administrators.

18. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Is(was) there a thread on this on sosuke , where you are required to post which (brand/and the country it was made in) sd card you are using and the errors you get?

19. Mbmax

Antarctica
    Just for information, games 3782,3790 and 3791 are fixed (piracy protection). [​IMG]

20. Lupigen

United States
    That's why I said that it might only apply to some Vi carts, we just need to figure out which ones. When did you buy your EZFlash Vi ?