RyuKakashi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With our new ability to explore wii games, I wanted to extract the textures for Travis's T-shirts from No More Heroes.
There's lots of odd file types here and there so which ones are textures and how do i view/convert them?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nobody is anywhere near that far. and 90% of times games are not THAT simple anymore dude. not like t-shirt.jpg
tongue.gif

might's well just take a screenshot from some movie out there or a screeny that already exists n use that for whatever you want to do

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
nobody is anywhere near that far. and 90% of times games are not THAT simple anymore dude. not like t-shirt.jpg
tongue.gif

might's well just take a screenshot from some movie out there or a screeny that already exists n use that for whatever you want to do
Don't give false info if you don't know what's around.

Check out thakis' Gamecube stuff. I managed to get some textures out of SMG with these tools, combined with WiiTools of course.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you see .dds or .tga files. Those are image files also.

It's just that Windows doesn't have support for those out of the box.

You can google a thumbnail plugin for Windows that will show thumbnail previews of those files.

You can open and edit them and save them as a different format such as .bmp/.jpg with Photoshop.

D

Deleted User

most likely textures will be in a directly mappable to hardware file format, this way there's no overhead to extract the file. On pc games there seems to be a tradition of using stanard file formats but I think it's because there's a lot of existing code to deal with them and it eases the devellopment process for artists...

RyuKakashi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Jelbo for the info! I'll look around to see if I find similar file extentions but so far it's mostly been .bin (could be anything right?) .rsl (code?) .GA2 (?) .gcl (libraries?) and .thp (movie files)

Dang deufeufeu that's bad news for me I suppose. I'll have hope though.

Edit: Alright I googled around more of the file extentions and found that .GM2 is an Autologic bitmap. I assume i'll be able to find some way to view these or convert them, unless autologic means something else?

Edit2: Alright I found that iconcool's Graphic Converter Pro can view GM2....however it can't export so I'll just be taking screencaps of what it views.

Edit3: No luck with graphics converter pro. It detects the gm2 type as something it can read but the images are blank. Perhaps they are encrypted in some way? Can anyone help?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes the file extensions aren't an accurate indication of the file format. If you look at the first few bytes in a hex editor, you might be able to find out the file format.

RyuKakashi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes that might be the case, it seems that it's GMF2? which is some kind of hardware code bla bla bla that proves what deufeufeu said. Is there no way of doing this? I guess i'm gonna give up.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you want a more technical forum than this one, one that deals with rom hacking and the like. I'm afraid I don't have any actual links.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you want a more technical forum than this one, one that deals with rom hacking and the like. I'm afraid I don't have any actual links.

There is plenty of rom hacking and rom hackers around here.

Anyhow I have only bothered to pull apart prince of persia so far ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=720...ndpost&p=942490 ) and aside from the .bik videos, basic 2d (almost 4bpp GBA format) and simple text there were a few archives (arc format: some GC details here (not sure if they are exactly the same yet though): ) which had tga in.

Some links:
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php?title=Just_Cause_ARC
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/index.html
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=26919
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2105
http://www.hitmen-console.org/

It seems a lot of stuff has stalled though until unsigned code gets more mainstream.

Reactions: Milozaki

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards