ROM Hack Extracting Mario & Luigi: Dream Team's OST (SoundData.arc)

BenNat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team's audio data is in a file named "SoundData.arc"

Many of sites say *.arc files are Nintendo archive. Here are the specifications of these files.

But "SoundData.arc" doesn't seem be a archive but rather an audio file as the 15.4 section of the specifications page says.

If we open this file with a hex editor, we can see the header doesn't starts with "RARC" but with nothing.
In the file, there is a sequence of "WAVE_0000 WAVE_0020 WAVE_0030 WAVE_1100 WAVE_1101 WAVE_1102...".
There are a lot of "RedSpark" in the file.
There are 52 times (like the 52 songs of the OST) "Loop StartLoop End".

Can someone understand this file and maybe give solutions to open it ?

Last edited by BenNat,
Reactions: CaptainSwag101
D

Deleted User

Hm, so after taking a look, it seems like a relativity simple format; it's pretty much just a pack of audio files with metadata(?)
The first section seems to be metadata (no offsets though, looks like a bunch of IDs :unsure:) with a list of strings that indicate each wave's name
Below the metadata is the pack of audio data, with each of them having a chunk header tag of "RedSpark", eight bytes long and proceeded with the chunk size

BenNat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
try kuriimu first.
No, I've tested with Kuriimu, Kukkii and Karameru and it no works

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hm, so after taking a look, it seems like a relativity simple format; it's pretty much just a pack of audio files with metadata(?)
The first section seems to be metadata (no offsets though, looks like a bunch of IDs :unsure:) with a list of strings that indicate each wave's name
Below the metadata is the pack of audio data, with each of them having a chunk header tag of "RedSpark", eight bytes long and proceeded with the chunk size
I found that arround the middle of the file:

STRBGM_AKKUMU_BTL_MASTER STRBGM_AKKUMU_MASTER STRBGM_BAD_FIX STRBGM_BATTLEEND STRBGM_BEFORE_LASTBOSS STRBGM_BIGBATTLE_MASTER STRBGM_BOSS_BTL_MASTER STRBGM_BOTTOMOFDREAM_MASTER STRBGM_BRILLIANTROSE STRBGM_CAVE STRBGM_COMEDY STRBGM_DREAM_HIRUNEB_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MADOROMI_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MAKULANO_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MEZAMET_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MUYUWOOD_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_NKDEEP_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_NEOKUPPA_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_OHAPARK_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_PAJAMAL_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_PAJAMAU_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_ZAKOBTL_MASTER STRBGM_ENDING_MASTER
STRBGM_HAPPY STRBGM_HIRUNEBEACH_MASTER STRBGM_JINGLE_ATTACKPIECE STRBGM_JINGLE_BEDPARTS STRBGM_JINGLE_ITEM STRBGM_JINGLE_KAKERA STRBGM_KUPPATHEME STRBGM_LASTBOSS_MASTER STRBGM_LOAD STRBGM_MADOROMI STRBGM_MAKULANOCASTLE STRBGM_MAKULANOCASTLE_MEMORY STRBGM_MAKULANO_AIRPORT_FIX2 STRBGM_MAKULANO_UNDERGROUND STRBGM_MEZAMETOWN STRBGM_MINIGAME STRBGM_MUYUWOOD_MASTER STRBGM_NEMURHYTHM_MIX STRBGM_NEOKUPPADEEP_MASTER STRBGM_NEOKUPPA_MASTER STRBGM_OHSAWAGI STRBGM_OHAPARK_MASTER STRBGM_PAJAMA_LOWER STRBGM_PAJAMA_UPPER STRBGM_PEACHCASTLE STRBGM_SHIP STRBGM_SHOCKING STRBGM_SHOCKING_2 STRBGM_STAFFROLL_MASTER STRBGM_TITLE_MASTER STRBGM_TOBIGEVENT STRBGM_TUTORIAL STRBGM_ZAKO_BTL RedSpark

It seems be the title of the songs ("BIGBATTLE", "ENDING", "HAPPY", "COMEDY", "PAJAMAL", "PAJAMAU", "MINIGAME", "STAFFROLL", "PEACHCASTLE",...)

D

Deleted User

No, I've tested with Kuriimu, Kukkii and Karameru and it no works

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I found that arround the middle of the file:

STRBGM_AKKUMU_BTL_MASTER STRBGM_AKKUMU_MASTER STRBGM_BAD_FIX STRBGM_BATTLEEND STRBGM_BEFORE_LASTBOSS STRBGM_BIGBATTLE_MASTER STRBGM_BOSS_BTL_MASTER STRBGM_BOTTOMOFDREAM_MASTER STRBGM_BRILLIANTROSE STRBGM_CAVE STRBGM_COMEDY STRBGM_DREAM_HIRUNEB_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MADOROMI_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MAKULANO_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MEZAMET_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_MUYUWOOD_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_NKDEEP_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_NEOKUPPA_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_OHAPARK_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_PAJAMAL_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_PAJAMAU_MASTER STRBGM_DREAM_ZAKOBTL_MASTER STRBGM_ENDING_MASTER
STRBGM_HAPPY STRBGM_HIRUNEBEACH_MASTER STRBGM_JINGLE_ATTACKPIECE STRBGM_JINGLE_BEDPARTS STRBGM_JINGLE_ITEM STRBGM_JINGLE_KAKERA STRBGM_KUPPATHEME STRBGM_LASTBOSS_MASTER STRBGM_LOAD STRBGM_MADOROMI STRBGM_MAKULANOCASTLE STRBGM_MAKULANOCASTLE_MEMORY STRBGM_MAKULANO_AIRPORT_FIX2 STRBGM_MAKULANO_UNDERGROUND STRBGM_MEZAMETOWN STRBGM_MINIGAME STRBGM_MUYUWOOD_MASTER STRBGM_NEMURHYTHM_MIX STRBGM_NEOKUPPADEEP_MASTER STRBGM_NEOKUPPA_MASTER STRBGM_OHSAWAGI STRBGM_OHAPARK_MASTER STRBGM_PAJAMA_LOWER STRBGM_PAJAMA_UPPER STRBGM_PEACHCASTLE STRBGM_SHIP STRBGM_SHOCKING STRBGM_SHOCKING_2 STRBGM_STAFFROLL_MASTER STRBGM_TITLE_MASTER STRBGM_TOBIGEVENT STRBGM_TUTORIAL STRBGM_ZAKO_BTL RedSpark

It seems be the title of the songs ("BIGBATTLE", "ENDING", "HAPPY", "COMEDY", "PAJAMAL", "PAJAMAU", "MINIGAME", "STAFFROLL", "PEACHCASTLE",...)
I could make an extractor but these audio files won't really come in use if you can't play them

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Why could I not play them ?
Because the only way to play 3DS music files (BCSTM, NUS3BANK, etc.) is on the 3DS. You could, in theory, convert it to other audio formats, but I've only tested that with BRSTMs, which were used on the Wii.
You're right but how can I give access to this file ?
There's a certain ISO site that members of this site use to share copyrighted files. Just Google that ISO site and you'll find it.

BenNat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because the only way to play 3DS music files (BCSTM, NUS3BANK, etc.) is on the 3DS. You could, in theory, convert it to other audio formats, but I've only tested that with BRSTMs, which were used on the Wii.
It's easy to convert BCSTM to WAV. I've ever done it with the Pokemon Sun/Moon music files. For NUS3BANK, there is NUS3BANK editor. For the other formats, it's certainly possible to find a way to convert it.

D

Deleted User

There's a certain ISO site that members of this site use to share copyrighted files. Just Google that ISO site and you'll find it.
VGMstream actually supports converting BCSTM, BFSTM, and NUS3BANK (idp) to WAV, but Dream Team uses a different audio format; not sure what it is :unsure:

soneek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll post my extractor here when I have some down time. It can rebuild the archive too, so I'm trying to finish rebuilding the audio format pertfectly. It's all Redspark audio, and vgmstream supports it.

BenNat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll post my extractor here when I have some down time. It can rebuild the archive too, so I'm trying to finish rebuilding the audio format pertfectly. It's all Redspark audio, and vgmstream supports it.
Do you have access to "SoundData.arc" ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ