Extracting individual files from WiiWare WADs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Vague Rant, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Vague Rant
    OP

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    So I have zero Wii hacking experience, but I can work a hex editor and command line crap just fine, so I've managed to decrypt the WiiWare game Maboshi's Arcade, which left me with a bunch of .apps and a few other things (.cert, .tik, .tmd, .trailer). What I'm looking for is the downloadable DS demo included in the game (I don't have a Wii at all, so I can't download it the "proper" way, and anyway I'd rather a ROM I can boot when I want), and was hoping somebody here might have some tips. .srl seems to be the "official" extension for NDS code, so I tried a simple ASCII search for that, and came up with several references to a "LZ77_mbs_dsEU.srl", which is kind of confusing, since it wouldn't really be an .srl any more if it's LZ compressed, but anyway, I was wondering if anybody could tip me off on where I'd locate that file.

EDIT: OK, I've been doing some more looking in hex, and it looks like 00000002.app is some kind of archive containing a number of files, at least according to some ASCII near the beginning of the file:

Code:
    home.csv.home_nosave.csv.Huf8_mbs.brsar.LZ77_mbs_dsEU.srl.LZ77_textureEU.tpl.LZ7
    _tex_ENG.tpl.LZ77_tex_FRA.tpl.LZ77_tex_GER.tpl.LZ77_tex_ITA.tpl.LZ77_tex_NED.tpl
    LZ77_tex_SPA.tpl.mbsSaveBanner.tpl.mbsSaveIcon.tpl.network.csv
    Looks like a file list to me, anyway, and almost immediately after the list is some ASCII that looks a lot like it might be home.csv:

Code:
    S.i.m.u.l.t.a.n.e.o.u.s.l.y. .p.r.e.s.s. $`. .a.n.d. $a.....o.n. .e.a.c.h. .W.i.i. .R.e.m.o.t.e. .i.n. .t.h.e.....d.e.s.i.r.e.d. .p.l.a.y.e.r. .o.r.d.e.r...
    So I suspect that LZ77_mbs_dsEU.srl is located somewhere in here, but I don't see anything about offsets, so I have no idea where I should start when looking for it (and looking through the entire 7MB file in hex wouldn't help me much since I don't really have any idea what I'm looking for). Is there a particular signature shared by LZ77 compressed archives that I might try searching for, or does anybody have any other ideas? I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

EDIT2: Got a little further by using U8tool to extract 00000002.app, I managed to find LZ77_mbs_dsEU.srl, but the file doesn't appear to be a valid NDS ROM, although I can see its serial (the generic NTRJ, which seems to be used on all demos); I tried extracting it but couldn't find any appropriate tools; using GBADecmp was unsuccessful and I haven't managed to find LZ77ex yet. Right now I'm going to bed, so fingers crossed someone will drop by to help while I sleep. Night.

EDIT3: Just an update really, I eventually located LZ77ex and was able to extract the file into a working DS binary; it ran just fine on my EZ-Flash V just now, so good times. Thanks to anybody who uh, considered helping.

2. bugaveli

bugaveli Banned

Banned
    Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    In a remote place
    So it CAN be done by a moron??????????
    haha just kiddin u sound like u know yer shit

3. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Lol good job

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice