external HDD questions

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by zac122, Jun 12, 2016.

1. zac122
    OP

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    I'm currently following the definitive vWii hacking guide that has me hiding my external HDD from the wiiU so it doesn't ask me to format it everytime i want to boot the system. is there any way for me to create a separate not hidden partition on the drive so i can still have my eshop downloads installed to it while also using it for loading my wii backups for use with the vWii, or am i pretty much SOL on that?

2. Kråkemannen

Kråkemannen Newbie

Newcomer
    May 25, 2016
    Norway
    not as far as i know, sorry

3. zac122
    OP

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Then why did you post at all? Telling me that you don't know if it's possible doesn't help me at all since you've neither confirmed nor denied the possibility.

4. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    shut up you bad boy

5. JohnathanMonkey

JohnathanMonkey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Yes. Search for ustealth.

6. zac122
    OP

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Can ustealth hide only certain partitions though? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the guide, and it seems to hide the entire drive. I don't really need to do this tbh, it would just be convenient since 2tb is a lot of storage space.

7. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    No. You cannot use an external drive with both vWii and WiiU. It's all or nothing. If the WiiU senses any non-WiiU partitions on the disk it will attempt to format the entire external disk.

8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Anyone knows how's it going to use 2 different drives?
    One for each usage.

9. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    This is not possible. The vWii is capable of seeing multiple partitions on the drive (at least the original wii was) whereas the WiiU requires all or none of the drive. Ustealth only hides the drive from the WiiU when formatted for vWii usage as seen here in the first lines from the OP on this forum:

"I've created a small Windows app to hide or un-hide a drive so that Wii U doesn't nag you to format it every time you start. At this stage, the disk is only useful for USB loading of backups in vWii until support is added to more apps for the 'hidden' drive."

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

Until there is at least a IOSU hack that is as far as you going to get with this. I only bring up IOSU as that is the soonest we can even think about multi partition drives for both vWii and WiiU.