External HDD incompatible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by scubaslim, Aug 13, 2014.

1. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    I have a Matsunichi 500GB External USB Hard drive. When I plug it into the Wii, it's light turns on implying there is power. When I access it from WiiFlow, it reads all of the game titles, but when I try to load a game I just get a black screen and eventually the Wii resets. USB Loader GX doesn't even recognize the drive.

I was able to load games from an SD card and a flash drive, so I don't think I've done anything wrong.

The drive is a USB 3.0, so I bought a Y cable, but that didn't help. I have tried both USB ports...

Anybody have an idea to what the problem is? Or do I have to get a new drive?

Thanks!

2. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    nevermind, i just found it on the compatibility list... :(

3. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Try using CFG USB Loader.

4. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    thanks, I tried that, but I couldn't get it to install -- not sure if it was the hdd or user error. looks like i'll have to look for a new drive

5. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Did you try formatting to FAT32 (your HDD)

6. scubaslim
    OP

scubaslim Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2014
    United States
    yeah, I first tried it WBFS, then NTFS, then FAT32 with 32 cluster size... I get the same result no matter what. I appreciate the help, but its fairly safe to say its incompatible. I found that compatibility chart after I posted this -- it says this drive has "issues" -- which are basically the issues I'm having

7. 466

466 yes, it says 466

Mar 28, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Earth
    Well that sucks.