External HDD Compatibility

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Caderyn, Jun 29, 2011.

Jun 29, 2011

External HDD Compatibility by Caderyn at 8:42 PM (1,342 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Caderyn
    OP

Newcomer Caderyn Member

United States
    I'm looking at the compatibility list for USB devices, and there's two entries for Sabrent EC-UST25 USB 2.0 enclosure. I'm going to be using a salvaged Hitachi (I think 120 GB) 2.5" HDD inside of it. It looks like it depends on what HDD you are using. Does anyone know if this one will definitely work with a Hitachi and Cfg Loader before I make the purchase? I'm sure I can return it if it doesn't, and I don't expect quality out of $10 lol.

My other choice is an Ultra U12-40526 LeatherX Hard Drive Enclosure. Both $10 at CompUSA, and there's one near me so I'll just pick it up instead of shipping it.

Has anyone tried these? If not I guess I'll be another confirmation or denial for the Sabrent or a confirm/deny on the Ultra... Whichever is in stock... I'd rather get the Sabrent because there's one confirmation that it works (and one that it doesn't) and the Ultra isn't even on the list.

[EDIT] Aw poo I meant to put enclosure in the title :/

2. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    It all depends upon the chip that is used inside the enclosure to bridge between sata and usb.
    You can't really guarantee that a brand of enclosures will use the same chip all the time.
    If they find something cheaper, they might start using that instead.
    On the other hand, I have the impression that cheaper is better (for wii compatibility) as low cost devices won't have spindown and other annoying features.
    They will also be usb mass storage compliant which means they should work without the need for a special driver.

Maybe you will get a better answer by someone using one of those enclosures with the wii.

3. Caderyn
    OP

Newcomer Caderyn Member

United States
    That's what I was hoping for with this post (and its not like everyone has read it yet), but I'm not opposed to just getting it and trying it out. If it doesn't work for the Wii I can still use it for the PC.

[EDIT] I purchased the enclosure. Currently backing up all the files on it (not much). Soon it will be a WBFS with some images on it, hopefully.

4. Caderyn
    OP

Newcomer Caderyn Member

United States
    This is a confirmation that the Sabrent EC-UST25 USB 2.0 HDD enclosure WORKS with Hitachi Travelstar 120GB HDD. If you have this and it's not working, plug just the longer plug into slot 0 (closer to the edge). If the drive clicks/beeps, plug the other, shorter plug into the other port to draw power from the Wii. It wouldn't work with my USB 4-port hub (don't have the power plug plugged into the hub, but it's available), but it worked when both were plugged into the back.

Going to add a +1 to the "works" count in the list.

5. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Make sure you don't get a IDE to SATA enclosure.
    I have 4 of them from different brands, NONE work.

Better get a WD elements.

6. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Code:
    Make sure you don't get a IDE to SATA enclosure.
    Do you mean ide 2 usb?

7. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yes, also the samsung s2 drives don't work.

8. Christian Tesolin

Newcomer Christian Tesolin Newbie

United States
    I wanna thank you Cadern for this post. It wasn't very easy to find, I came across it by accident.

Because if your findings , I bought same model enclosure as you, a Sabrent UST25 SATA to 2.0 , and got a Seagate Momentus SATA 2.5 drive to work with it and they work beautifully!. Just have to plug in both USB cables in the back of the Wii. No freezing yet.

This post is 2 years old, but this enclosure is still working.

Caderyn likes this.