Hardware External hard drive fail!

kidsasuke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Verbatim 320Gb external hard drive I had bought exclusively for use on my Wii. I formatted it, loaded it up with games, and it worked like a charm. Sometimes it'd click, but that could be rectified by connecting to the computer and safely removing. Anyways, lately it's been clicking non-stop when it's connected to my Wii, but it loads perfectly when connected to my PC. It even loads up all of my games in WBFS Manager 3.0 and I've just cleaned it out and scanned for any bad sectors (and yada yada yada) and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm seriously thinking of just selling it off because it's becoming a massive headache.

smuddge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a power issue not getting clean power when connected to the wii.
does it have an external ac adapter or is it one of those harddrive that is powered by usb port...
i have had a similar problem with a drive that was powered by only usb.
if it does have a power adapter try plugging it into a different power outlet away from the wii.

isaac52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never had this problem with my usb powered 320gb toshiba... could i eventually run into this problem myself, and how can i prevent it?

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what type is of clicking? is the drive clicking or something in the enclosure? if its the drive you might want to consider that the drive is failing aka click of death, if your not familiar what click of death is, its the head reading the drive then smacking itself off the inside of the case, in most cases if you start hearing or any weird things start happening you should diagnose the drive and RMA it back to the manufacturer as its faulty.

my advice run it on your PC for a couple of days, see if its clicking on there if so then its click of death

engine24

Trophies
XP
Country
its a cable problem take other usb to mini usb cable and try . Make shure to connect to lower usb port on the Wii.
If you going to buy cable look for "Y" cable ."Y" cable is with 2 usb jacks second one is for extra power.

Deadmoose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Certain cables will not work with all drives and its probably best to use the ones that came with the drive .
I've been having great success with the WD Elements 500gb Portable drives. I bought 4 and 3 work great and the 4th one loads everything fine but will not play on the wii . After multiple formatting ,I figured it was just not to be and use it as a back up for the PC now .

unopepito06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem with the hard drive I was going to use for my wii: a 60gb 2.5 drive in a Vantec Nexstar 3 external inclosure. When I first plugged it into my computer (it's my Dad's, I'd never used it before), it started ticking and wouldn't power on (this is the kind that is powered only by usb). I realized I had plugged it into my laptop's usb hub, which is not powered. The clicking was the drive being unable to spin up due to the lack of a proper power source. So I tried a different usb port, bada-bing everything's fine.

However, when I plug it into my wii, nothing happens, the led just flashes, and there is a faint clicking sound (but very faint, very unlike the "not enough power" clicking). Usbloader GX would just freeze. I had no idea what the problem was, every forum I read linked me to the "USB Drive Compatibility" list, but all their links were broken. Finally I got a good link: here. Scrolled down to external enclosures... that case is not supported! So now I have to find a compatible case. But anyway, in your case, it may or may not be a power problem, it may be a compatibility problem.

Good luck.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
well i think it is something with the power, on my cortex hdc 1000 (dj thingy) my lacie petit makes this whining and clicking sound if i insert it with an extension cable,, does the harddrive have another small port for power maybe,?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...