Hardware EPS 4-pin problem

PolskiWisnia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi there! Recently after I got my AM2+ mobo I saw that it's missing the EPS 4-pin connector (that one for CPU power). And here's thing; can I solder the the female side from extension cord or I must order the connector to solder it?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhhhh if your board came with a part as important as that missing I'd RMA it and ask for another one, that's a BIG mistake on the manufacturer's part

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if its missing, that means you don't need it?
or is it broken?
I don't think I've ever seen a modern motherboard that doesn't require its own CPU power delivery system, I'm fairly certain with socketed chips it's a necessity

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't think I've ever seen a modern motherboard that doesn't require its own CPU power delivery system, I'm fairly certain with socketed chips it's a necessity
yeah modern ones usually have it, but i would check the manual, if you need it it will state in the manual to connect the 4/8 pin power connector...
but i seen motherboards from that era (2007) that don't need and don't have this connector
or maybe it's in other place and op is overlooking?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah modern ones usually have it, but i would check the manual, if you need it it will state in the manual to connect the 4/8 pin power connector...
but i seen motherboards from that era (2007) that don't need and don't have this connector
or maybe it's in other place and op is overlooking?
I guess that's a possibility, and yeah I guess checking the manual would be worthwhile. I'd personally be interested in hearing which exact motherboard it is

It still sounds like an assembly line fuck-up to me, though, in which case you'd be eligible for a free return and (depending on which company it is and how generous the returns staff is feeling) potentially an upgrade

PolskiWisnia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for the replies. I thought that I dont need that P4 connector on motheboard but it wont boot. Fans are just spinning, no speaker sound. I will give some photos in 2-3 hours.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd solder it. Through hole,so not hard and large pads. The connector is a pain to find, so I'd hack an eps extension in half and use the female side like you said in your first post.

Nothing to lose, won't work without it and well, it's an old ass (2006) am2 board. You either do it, or it stays dead.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it’s the only issue with the board, sure. But motherboards are complex so there could be other issues with it too. Generally it’s only worth trying if you’ve already got skills with electronics and soldering.

If you want to learn such skills, a good place to start is with an old radio. The electronics are simple and forgiving to basic mistakes, allowing you to learn.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i assumed they already had the gear and could solder. Not worth it to buy soldering iron, solder, flux for a cheap am2 board, when you can buy fully working am2 boards for £15-£20 on ebay.

If they already have the iron etc, I'd go for it. Shit am2 board that's hardly worth anything, it's already broken, can't get much worse than dead.

Reactions: Originality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users