Homebrew ended up bricking my 3ds

Deleted member 490685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm really new here and long story short I had no idea what I was doing or doing rn and I formatted my system. every time I try to turn on my 3ds with the sd card it bricks and every time I try to turn it on without it says.

an error has occurs
Failed to apply 1 FIRM (patches)
press any button to shut down

I really don't know much about hacking or what's happening or what anything means but my 3ds did have cfw on it and I didnt think it would be a problem but I really should've looked into it!
are there any solutionss? im sorry I screwed up :( but hopefully my screw up will help others because I haven't found anything specific to my case!

btw I did do a NAND backup but since my sd card got wiped I dont really know what to do :( I didnt lose anything important tho because I did transfer everything like purchased games to my other 3ds but I really do wish I can revive this one! any help is appreciated

thank you for any replies! :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Put latest (v9.1) boot.firm from the archive on your SD and try again. The failsafe boot.firm on your CTRNAND is oudated.

I do not feel like typing everything again… so here. (Backup your SD first before formatting!)

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Deleted member 490685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thank you for replies! I got a few things wrong myself, first being I thought formatting your system would wipe your sd card but when I plugged mine into my laptop I found that a lot of stuff is still there like my nand backups which I dont really know what they are and the boot firm but ill look into your replies. thank you! I really dont know much about this stuff since I cfw my 3ds years ago and barely remember anything but thank you so much I really do appreciate it! :)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You backed up your NAND you say, but the SD card is wiped. Do you mean that you had the backup on the SD card?

I bet the above post will help you out, I just want to make sure that you save your NAND backup on your computer, or somewhere safe :P

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Deleted member 490685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You backed up your NAND you say, but the SD card is wiped. Do you mean that you had the backup on the SD card?

I bet the above post will help you out, I just want to make sure that you save your NAND backup on your computer, or somewhere safe :P
yeah I got some stuff wrong! sorry :/ I really dont know alot :(

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
yeah I got some stuff wrong! sorry :/ I really dont know alot :(
That's okay, as long as you still have that backup, just put it somewhere safe :) Just in case you would ever need it.

It's basically a unique image of your 3DS, with all the information and data that the 3DS needs to work. And when you hack the 3DS, or do some stuff with it, if you are really unlucky you might brick the console. The unique data that it needs to work, is gone. Then, you can use the backup to restore it, and it should work again :)

A simplified explanation :P and that's why you shouldn't keep the backup on the SD card, just in case the SD card get corrupted.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
every time I try to turn on my 3ds with the sd card it bricks
Thinking about this again: What exactly do you mean with "it bricks"? Should that be "it crashes"? Is there some kind of error message?

Okay, I have to put a little more effort into this than just linking to an old post. Testing the SD is still a good idea:
  1. Copy all your data from the SD to a computer. Reformat the SD to FAT32, 32kb cluster size, if bigger than 32GB and using Windows with guiformat.
  2. Check your SD Windows, Linux, OS X.
    • If you get any errors replace the SD. Repeat the test with another SD.
    • If you get no errors copy boot.firm on the SD and try to start the 3DS.
Because you mentioned "Format System Memory" as well as "System Transfer":
Installed games (and saves) inside SD:/Nintendo 3DS/[…] are no longer usable – although it might be possible to recover if you really need it.

If you do not care for the old data and the 3DS works normally with empty SD (only having boot.firm): Download boot.3dsx, put it on the SD and repeat the finalizing page of the guide.

If your 3DS still crashes or does not work normally with only boot.firm on the SD, there is more to do.

Deleted member 490685

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's okay, as long as you still have that backup, just put it somewhere safe :) Just in case you would ever need it.

It's basically a unique image of your 3DS, with all the information and data that the 3DS needs to work. And when you hack the 3DS, or do some stuff with it, if you are really unlucky you might brick the console. The unique data that it needs to work, is gone. Then, you can use the backup to restore it, and it should work again :)

A simplified explanation :P and that's why you shouldn't keep the backup on the SD card, just in case the SD card get corrupted.
thank you! I did the backup and it works now am I still on cfw?

thank you so much for your help! I fixed it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo