Emunand on USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by G0R3Z, Aug 12, 2014.

1. G0R3Z
    OP

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    Newbie here,

I currently run a softmodded vWii, homebrews CIOS etc and I currently use USB Loader GX to play Wii Backups as well as GC backups, but.... how does it work for Wiiware?

I've looked around and i'm still left with questions. I don't want to mess anything up and brick my WiiU somehow, so I thought i'd ask. I know that using an Emulated Nand is much safer than installing Wads directly, but I'm not entirely sure of the process to do it using USB Loader. Are there any guides to creating a Emulated Nand around somewhere? How simple is it to do; can I use a Fat32 SD card for my Wiiware as well as a USB drive for Wii and GC games?

2. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    /bump

3. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    In USB Loader GX, go to options, features, look for an option that dumps NAND, then in custom paths, set your path for the dumped nand. After that you can use install wads in the features option or on your computer ShowMiiWads in nand mode can install them.

Yes to the last two questions.
    Note that you can either get 100% compatibility with the SD Card Menu or about 60% compatibility with emunand.
    So to avoid eventual issues stick with the official method.

4. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't really understand that last part. Using the Sd card menu or less compatibility with emunand?

Do you mean that properly installing wads on the vwii is more compatible than using Emunand?

5. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah, the SD card menu copies the game temporarily to the internal memory to assume 1:1 compatibility, same on Wii and vWii.

The d2x cios emunand loads it directly but has problems like slower saving and loading(expected), a majority of games don't work, certain games can freeze at some point while playing, online doesn't work.

6. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    So using emunand isn't always the best way? I'd still like to use emunand though, to lower the risk of bricking my vwii, plus to save room on the memory.

7. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    So let me get this straight. I can use my SD card to use, create a folder for the EMUNAND and get USB Loader GX to dump to emunand into that folder?

I noticed that usb loader asks you to enter a folder, does it create this for you or is it just asking for your preferred folder? Does Emu nand channels require a new folder?

Then install wad to emunand?

8. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I haven't used emunand myself yet. Is it really as incompatible as you say? Like the OP I would rather not install too much to real NAND and was hoping that emunand would be pretty much just as good.