EmuNAND Help Requested (A9LH/Gateway/Luma)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Skeet1983, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I have a N3DS with A9LH and Luma on it and I also use Gateway, but currently no EmuNAND on system. I am going to create an EmuNAND today, but have a few questions before I begin:

These are the steps I was told to follow:

1. Backup N3DS mSD card
    2. Create EmuNAND in EmuNAND9
    3. Copy stuff back to N3DS mSD card
    4. Set Auto boot EmuNAND in Luma Settings
    5. Format SysNAND in System Settings to unlink NANDs?

But, do them in this order: 1,2,5,3,4

Before I begin, I have questions on the following:
    1. Will I still be able to use Gateway?
    2. How do I boot into Gateway Mode after EmuNAND is created? Currently, I have it set to boot GW Mode by pressing "down" on N3DS system boot. I think it is a Luma payload, but not sure what that is or what it means?
    3. When in Gateway Mode, what NAND is it running? Is it running in EmuNAND?
    4. When in EmuNAND, how do I know I am indeed in EmuNAND? Does it say "emu" in front of system firmware string in System Settings?

Thoughts and help GREATLY appreciated :)

2. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    1.If you follow the steps exactly, don't skip because making an emunand formats SD
    2.If you follow the steps exactly and copy back to you're sd yes everything will remain same
    3.Check system setting , or update the EmuNand in LUMA then you'll know the difference
    4.When selecting Autoboot Emunand in Luma settings make sure to enable the option to show "Emu" string in settings it will show Emu-"Firmware"

3. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...

Ok, thanks for info. :)
    But my big question is this: After EmuNAND is created, will I still be able to use my Gateway?

4. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Yes you will be able to.

5. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I read this in another thread about formatting with TinyFormat:

WARNING!
    Use it at your own risk.
    3DS initial setup will delete MSET exploit.

Do I need to be worried about this? My goal is to create EmuNAND, and still be able to use my Gateway and such. Please advise before I proceed with EmuNAND creation. Thoughts appreciated :)

Edit: Was going to separate NANDs by formatting SysNAND in N3DS System Settings

6. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Sep 18, 2013
    London
    Move to PM's to stop bumping this thread I'll give you some instructions .

7. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Ok, here is where I am at...
    Had trouble creating EmuNAND, kept getting mount CTR error. I am not sure where I am at or how to proceed, but I do have a SysNAND NAND backup and can still access Hourglass9. I was going to restore SysNAND, but only option is SysNAND restore (keep A9LH). Is that what I want? I am hoping NAND recover will be successful and I hope to still have access to my Gateway, Luma, A9LH, etc. Any help and thoughts appreciated :)

8. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Last night, I was trying to create EmuNAND and ran into a bunch of problems, eventually had to restore my SysNAND. When I did that, I noticed that I had an emunand somehow. I booted into Gateway Mode by pressing down on system boot, system firmware had "gw3D" in front of system firmware string. Thing is, that emunand has none of the stuff my sysnand has. Do I really need EmuNAND? If I remove it, how do I go about doing it? Also, will I still have access to the following in just SysNAND:

- Luma/Luma Settings
    - A9LH
    - Gateway use
    - Use SC DSTwo

Help GREATLY appreciated :)