ROM Hack Editing help

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've picked up a 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors rom, and I don't like all the language. I try to change it via hex editor, but every time I save the file and try to play it on an emulator, it won't load, and will stay as a black screen. Is there something I need to do in order for it to play, or will I have to suffer through the language?

edit: I have since tried 1 byte change, and it still won't work.

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dropped the rom directly into the hex editor, then looked up the words I wanted to edit. I changed them, saved the changes, and tried to play the rom, which would not load. I have since uncompressed the rom thanks to NDS Editor, and found the text files - changing them from there. However, I can't put the rom together again. That's a brief summary of what I've done.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buob said:
I dropped the rom directly into the hex editor, then looked up the words I wanted to edit. I changed them, saved the changes, and tried to play the rom, which would not load. I have since uncompressed the rom thanks to NDS Editor, and found the text files - changing them from there. However, I can't put the rom together again. That's a brief summary of what I've done.
I think the text has to be repointed, I'm pretty sure you can't just go deleting words.

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@machomuu - I changed to words, replacing most of them with a letter-by-letter substitute. However, I'd like to see if my de-compressed version would work if I re-compressed it. That, however, is the challenge. (my NDS Editor has the ability to make roms out of files, but it won't for me)

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
try dsbuff to unpack/repack the rom. secondly were the old letter one or two bytes? 63 or 8157 ...
If the letters you used were not in the font then you would get a crash screen(maybe)
example when I was first hacking 7th dragon and "test"ing, "Test"ing - the first one just gave me static. it should have crashed but it didn't.

"most of them" isn't gonna work. you have to stay in the same size of text letter for letter or within the range of letters that are there. Otherwise you will have to edit some pointers. when you just over write the stuff that is beside it you write over possible programming which will give you a black screen.

Stay within the limit for testing purposes. once you figure out how to expand where you want then do that. but you just cannot type directly over other stuff besides the thing you are trying to change.

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rastsan - I tried DSbuff, one problem, the text files didn't unpack with it, and when I tried to pack the original files, it said that it didn't have the right files to make a ROM. The words are 1 Bytes, and I tried only editing 1 byte (A "U" to an "I") and it didn't load on the emulator.

I try to stay within the word parameters (most of the "f---" I turn into "crap" or "heck", though it's a bigger problem when it's "F---ing," which I change to "stupid" like "F--ing brat" turns into "stupid brat")

I'll try attempt once more with NDS Editor (and take screen shots)

EDIT: I have changed one word, and it works, so I just changed about 4or 5 more. Now for the moment of truth.

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I did was I dropped the rom into the hex editor, like I did at first and I edited the text. there's jsut one small problem - I can't get ALL the text that way. However, the ROM does play, and I've found a new way to change f---ing so that the letters are all replaced.

Askepios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Does having to read those words really burn your sensitive eyes so badly that it's worth actually editing the ROM to replace them?

If you can't even handle a bit of strong language, the game's probably too much for you anyway.

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Askepios - I guess I should tell you now...This is actually for my friend. I don't really care much for those words, and I don't think he would either, but his mom would (stay at home, Christian 20-year-old), and so he can't get the game unless he's somewhere else. I'm helping him get this piece of gaming gold earlier. (partially so he can help me with a fanfiction I'm writing, but also so then we can talk about about it and we both get any references)

I should also say that I'm a Christian, and that there is a verse (Colossians 3:5-8) that essentially means that Christians are to put behind them all of the traits of their sinful nature. That includes filthy and profane speech; we're to make sure that the words that we speak bring honor to God. Reading those words, thinking those words, or writing those words are not honorable, at least to me, unless REALLY needed (worst day ever, quoting something, smash your fingers in the car door) Now I had to type the words in order to find them, and that was an extreme case.

I guess, as one last reply to your question, not really. I didn't like the language, but sometimes, it made it a little more humorous. However, in my opinion, I think the game would be the best game ever without all the language.

(wow this is quite a rant)

Buob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way, I finished most of the project. Thanks for your guys' help (mainly at Rastsan) it was a fun beginner project, and I'm glad that I can get my friend to experience a gaming masterpiece.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: