EA embraces micro-transactions for all future games

zanfire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA heads did an interview yesterday and unleashed some nuggets about how they say the consumers are "embracing" microtransactions and they plan to put it in every game. http://www.destructoid.com/ea-plans-a-future-of-microtransactions-update--247138.phtml

I guess me and many other who were so against Dead Space 3 because its "features" would crawl their way into everything else are right. I'm thanking EA right now for making my decision to either pirate or completely ignore their games such an easy choice.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-undecided-on-next-gen-pricing-6404527

"We haven't yet set pricing on our [next-generation games], but you'll probably see a similar trend during the start of the next cycle."

This is them talking about pricing, which they might have go up from what the standard is now, so 70$ may be what they are looking at.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put down the pitchforks.

[Update: According to TheSixthAxis, EA's CFO "misspoke" on the subject of game prices, and is actually expecting games to cost between $49 and $59, rather than the $69 he original talked about. Don't worry, they can always make up that missing ten bucks with more DLC!]

Dat objective reporting.

And you know, if they handle microtransactions like they did in Dead Space 3 (where they're absolutely unnecessary, and only for people too stupid/lazy to play the damn game), I'm totally okay with that.

Oh, sorry, I meant GOD, EA, SO GREEDY. LITERALLY HITLER.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
if only maxis & westwood was bought by another publisher.

look at simcity on facebook, it is so sad.
and they planning to do the same with Command Conquer series.
I always wish they went bankrupt every years, but people keep buying things from them.

Reactions: jalaneme

zanfire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put down the pitchforks.

Dat objective reporting.

And you know, if they handle microtransactions like they did in Dead Space 3 (where they're absolutely unnecessary, and only for people too stupid/lazy to play the damn game), I'm totally okay with that.

Oh, sorry, I meant GOD, EA, SO GREEDY. LITERALLY HITLER.

Do you really think they won't mess with games to get you to buy into microtransactions? People said they wouldn't put it in much when it came to DS3, and a short time later we know it's going in everything. They will keep crossing the line as long as we pay, so if you're blind enough to think they won't find a way to disrupt or make parts of a game a massive annoyance just so you can spring some extra crash, you're smoking some awesome stuff and I want some.

Also you should not omit all of the argument of raising the price, it's still a possibility according to them, they may have used the wrong numbers as an example, but his point was to charge more when a cycle starts and it lowers over time: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-undecided-on-next-gen-pricing-6404527

"We haven't yet set pricing on our [next-generation games], but you'll probably see a similar trend during the start of the next cycle."

Reactions: 2ndApex and Celice

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really think they won't mess with games to get you to buy into microtransactions? People said they wouldn't put it in much when it came to DS3, and a short time later we know it's going in everything. They will keep crossing the line as long as we pay, so if you're blind enough to think they won't find a way to disrupt or make parts of a game a massive annoyance just so you can spring some extra crash, you're smoking some awesome stuff and I want some.

Also you should not omit all of the argument of raising the price, it's still a possibility according to them, they may have used the wrong numbers as an example, but his point was to charge more when a cycle starts and it lowers over time: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-undecided-on-next-gen-pricing-6404527

I think you were trying to make an argument, but it was hard to hear over all the tears and wailing.

Seriously, though...
1) Dead Space 3 is a fine example of microtransactions done right, so citing it as a negative isn't exactly helping. It's entirely, 100% optional - the game is scaled with the expectation that the player will not purchase it, so the player isn't pressured to put money down in order to progress. Like I said, if this is the model they want to stick by, more power to them.

Besides, that's hardly the only example. EA handled DLC extremely well with Mass Effect 3 - we've gotten loads upon loads of characters and maps for absolutely nothing. You can purchase points so you can unlock classes/guns/etc. faster, but it's hardly necessary. And they've provided several meaty expansions to the story for a fairly reasonable price.

2) If you feel like EA mishandles the DLC, you are not powerless as a consumer. Don't buy the DLC or don't buy the game as a whole. The gaming market's plenty healthy right now anyway, so there are always plenty of alternatives. EA's going to take lost sales much more seriously than forum whining.

Has EA messed up with DLC in the past? Sure, but so has pretty much every company. Teach them the error of their ways with sales. It's not hard.

3) Sony has already set the pricing standard of the PS4 at $0.99 to $60. I don't think companies are going to be too willing to deviate from that unless they want their sales to take a hit.

Does EA make mistakes? Certainly. Has it made colossal mistakes? Sure. Is it the greedy monstrosity r/gaming circlejerks over? Hardly.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
can't even have the full experience of a game anymore.

you @#%^T#$^% companies.

and paying for lightning for ff 13-2 to get the full experience was some @#$%#@$ stuff.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I just don't understand the article (please explain it if I'm missing some key point), but it seems to me like games won't change at all except that you can skip "farming" if you want to pay money. Farming, while annoying, has been a necessity in a larger percentage of games for decades. I don't see how normal users miss out on anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1