dvd vs hdd

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bob_742, Feb 10, 2010.

Feb 10, 2010

dvd vs hdd by bob_742 at 4:29 AM (1,126 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. bob_742
    OP

Newcomer bob_742 Member

Canada
    hi i was playing a backup on neogamma v7 and it was loading a little slow so what i wanted to know is would it load faster if i ran it off a hdd

2. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    much faster
    load times are reduced alot

3. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    USB Loading is massively superior. If you already have a decent-sized USB hard drive, I recommend you make the switch. No need to burn discs, no need to swap discs. Games loaded from USB run faster (up to four times the speed of disc loaders and even faster than retail discs). When playing Metroid Prime 3 from the hard drive, every door opens almost immediately with no downtime. USB loaders typically offer more options for game loading and fixing, and a cleaner interface.

4. bob_742
    OP

Newcomer bob_742 Member

Canada
    thanks guy, and i do 320gigs [​IMG]

5. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    dvd backup disc = 3x speed
    retail dvd = 6x
    usb = 12x+

6. TrapperKeeperX

Member TrapperKeeperX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would have to go with HDD but I do like DVD's too! Here is my pros & cons

DVD Pros:
    With cIOSCORP Metroid Prime NPC,Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes NPC,Metroid Prime Trilogy can be played without alt dol files! and you get to chose the difficulty!

DVD Cons:
    It's sometimes slow,videos can be clip at times, discs can be scratched when not taken care of properly but I don't have a problem with that. Burning games over and over and sometimes it can be a hassle to buy blank discs.

HDD Pros:
    Incredibly fast loading times,Videos are perfect,More Space than an actual disc so you can put as many games you want in the HDD until it's full & USB Loaders can create Channels for games to load them without an USB Loading Application but you can use a USB Loader Applications!

HDD Cons:
    Metroid Prime NPC,Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes NPC,Metroid Prime Trilogy you can't chose the difficulty it's always on Veteran Difficulty.

but I favor more of HDD than DVD but I do play Metroid Prime NPC,Metroid Prime 2 Dark Echoes NPC,Metroid Prime Trilogy on disc the only way I play Metroid Games on HDD is that I have to play them on veteran mode!

7. buby78

Member buby78 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if you get the games individually they work and you get to pick the difficulty [​IMG] so you can take that off the cons [​IMG]

8. Dispel

Member Dispel GBAtemp Regular

Latvia
    about metroid - what do you mean individually ? as far as I know in EU and NA Wii versions of MP1 & 2 are only availabale as part of MPTrilogy, which needs alt-dol, which screws with the trilogy menu

NPC - new play control ? MP1 & 2 for that (individually) only came out in Japan afaik, I have no idea where to get japanese Wii retails, and it probably is full of kanji [​IMG]

anyway, I prefer HDD, but for MPTrilogy I use a disc backup, yeah (to be completely honest, I love Metroid so much that I bought the trilogy, put it on a shelf, never opening and dl'ed trilogy ISO via torrent [​IMG] .. just this one time) .. and hoping it'll become available on USB soon w/o alt-dol .. for MP3, which is available separate - i use HDD ofc

9. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    metroid prime 1 and 2 are being released by them selfs in Europe

10. Dispel

Latvia
    eh, never seen em on sale &

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_prime
    in EU/NA/AUS they're the same - that's MPT date .. in Japan - those're NPC separate dates

if you mean by themselves in the future ..
    1) link ?
    2) I can't wait that long [​IMG]

11. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Think about the enviorment! Piracy save tons of Co2 and by using a HDD, its no need to make DVDs! Also its cheaper for you if the game, yeah.. just suck.

12. Dispel

Latvia
    HDD is much quieter, too