Hacking DVD Read Error (384)

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I've tried several times now to get my Wii set-up for backups but it just doesn't seem to be working. I had system menu v3.4u when i first installed the Homebrew Channel and have since downgraded to 3.3u. I used the files from this guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/Run_Backup...hout_a_Modchip/. I've successfully installed all the files/programs/channels in it but when I try to run my backup of Castlevania Judgement (only one I've got right now) I get the error in the title. I was using some cheap Memorex DVD-Rs at first and after reading that they might be the problem I bought a set of Verbatim DVD-R, the Made in Taiwan ones, but I'm still getting the same error. I've made several copies on both DVD types at 2x, 3x, and 4x speeds but all of them give the same error message. Any idea of what I could do to fix this?

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see you made it away from that flawed outdated tutorial... Look in the stickied threada and follow big moe's guide or the guide in DJtaz's signature. Yes you will be starting over but this will make sure your installed properly and up to date as castlevania should work with gamma without any problems. Also try higher burn speeds and check the quality of the burns with dvdinfopro whichever speed gives you the best quality is the speed for you to burn at from now on. and make sure your using dvd-r or dvd+r booktyped to -r.

Big Moes Guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119216
DjTaz's http://www.iol.ie/~taz/wii/002fixGammaLoader.zip

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I went through djtaz's guide, minus starfall, and the error has now changed to (408). Any idea what that one means? Also, when I try to run the back-up launchers included in his files they bypass the menu and go straight to a looping load attempt. When it fails it just starts over again, making it almost impossible to eject a disc and causing me to have to turn the console off via the power button on the console itself as it will not return to the loader menu or the system menu and cannot be turned off by the remote. Is there a step that could have mis-installed to get this result that I should re-do?

~~~Edit~~~
I left my Wii running in that infinite load loop for a while to see if perhaps it just needed to make several passes at the disc to load it and it went from (408) to (409) now.

Afturmath

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same issue. I started with the 384, then reinstalled the cIOS and started getting a 388 error. I went through DjTaz's Guide, and now I have the infinite loop Daemonfyre is describing. I did a check using DVDInfoPro on my backup, and it matches the image file I made from the original disc.

Currently running 3.2 (region matched), cIOS that came with 0.3 gamma from the DjTaz archive.

Xras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
On the error part, i'm not sure, but the infinite loop you're both getting is because the channel is an autoboot channel.
If the loader gets an error (either do to bad burn or bad install), it'll loop to start and retry to boot.

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no luck here. I tried burning a new copy at max burn speed, used dvdinfo and it said it was identical to the iso, no luck. I tried all of my old burns, no luck. Tried using Any Title Remover or whatever it's called to get rid of anything looked like it wasn't system related or installed during the guide, no luck. Uninstalled and re-installed both loaders, the IOS file through WADmanager, the cIOS fix both through it's icon and through WADmanager but I'm still getting the DVD Read Error (409) error on the Zelda loader. Now when I use the Wiish Loader I get no message, it just dumps me back to the main menu(if I hold 1 to keep it from going autoboot loop on me) or goes to black screen with the Loading notices occassionally popping up. Anything to be done from here? Is there any program I should download that would help give you guys info about what might have gone/might be wrong or anywhere I should look to find said info?

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You said you ensure it matched the ISO which is good, but run the PI/PO scan on the discs you've burnt. The quality needs to be at least 85-90% to ensure you aren't getting read errors from bad burns. Also what version of the system menu are you on? 3.2 has the best compatability for homebrew and backup loading. Since you were at one point above 3.2 then you need to follow the OCT 23rd sticky to enable truncha signed disks to run. Also INSTALL STARFALL once your on 3.2 as this is your only protection if anything every gets messed up. This is the single most important thing to do if you are running any non nintendo code.

jpref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ERROR 384 is caused by bad media. i had verbatim +r (PAP691ME) s/n and they never worked. switched back to -r verbatim and everything is great. i was using verbatim +r before, but now this batch with that serial number doesnt work. best to go with -r all around

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digitydogs said:
You said you ensure it matched the ISO which is good, but run the PI/PO scan on the discs you've burnt. The quality needs to be at least 85-90% to ensure you aren't getting read errors from bad burns. Also what version of the system menu are you on? 3.2 has the best compatability for homebrew and backup loading. Since you were at one point above 3.2 then you need to follow the OCT 23rd sticky to enable truncha signed disks to run. Also INSTALL STARFALL once your on 3.2 as this is your only protection if anything every gets messed up. This is the single most important thing to do if you are running any non nintendo code.

I'm on 3.2u now. I followed the downgrade instructions in djtaz's homebrew/backup pack. I am unable to run PI/PO scans though because I have a Toshiba drive and they don't support it. I managed to get one to work on my Samsung external( the one I burned at max speed, it had 71% quality when it finished but it changed to 82% when I accidentally switched from graph 1 to graph 2 and back) but that drive has horrible Vista compatability and may also have internal errors because it made a horrible noise when I tried to move it a bit to adjust where the cords were while it was doing a scan and put a big ring on that disc and has gone back to not properly communicating with Vista. It registers that there a disc in the drive but refuses to read it or recognize it as valid media.

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any other backups that work? If so then its possible you have a bad iso of castlevania. Also does your burner supports speeds over 4x? if so try a burn at your highest speed and see how that works.
Windows systems won't be able to read any data on a wii burnt disc as the file format is not supported by windows, same as an original. I'd definitely try burning a different game to help narrow down where the problem is occurring. At this point i think its safe to say its not you cios but a disc/burn related problem.
Also make sure you use IMGBURN to burn your wii games, as it has the best support for wii iso's, and its free.

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't have any other back-ups right now but I'm making one for Zelda now. The last burn of Castlevania I did was done at 16x and I have been using imgburn this whole time. I'll post an update once I finish getting the Zelda iso off my network and get it burned.

Daemonfyre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah crap, the ISO was just junk. I finished my Zelda a bit ago and it works fine and I didn't even use imgburn(forgot ISO Burner was set as default program). Booted on the first try. And I did try running the Castlevania ISO through ISO Burner too just to see and it didn't work then either.

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well at least now you know your setup is working and it was just a bad ISO transfer. Now you can start backing up your entire wii collection
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi