DVD+R Works

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JaapDraad, May 12, 2009.

May 12, 2009

DVD+R Works by JaapDraad at 9:31 PM (1,706 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. JaapDraad
    OP

Newcomer JaapDraad Member

Netherlands
    The other day I burnt a copy of Diego Dinosaur rescue (yeah, yeah, I've got kids).
    I accidentally used a DVD+R. I only noticed this after I succesfully ran the game?

How is this possible? [​IMG] I assumed that I could only use DVD-R on the Wii.

I have a softmodded Wii. Recently used Waninkoko's 4.0 upgrader.
    I haven't changed the book type for my DVD burner
    I have previously installed DVDx

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Some dvd burner/software combinations do change the booktype for DVD+Rs automatically. And maybe there are very few games that work without the bitsetting.

3. neveras

Member neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I know my burner let's me change bitsetting, and so I always just use DVD +R

4. raptir

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've used DVD+Rs on my PS2 and my Wii. I just used imgBurn's default settings. I've never had an issue with any games.

5. WiiPower

Germany
    NO not again! DVD+Rs need the bitsetting. If you didn't do it, you are lucky that your pc does it automatically. That's it. Or if you use a modchip, you don't need it, but 90% if the people here don't have a modchip.

6. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Every one of my backups are dvd+r and they work imgburn does it automaticcly or something?

7. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think that IMGBurn must be doing it automatically, because I always have been using DVD+R's. You just made me check, and I never even noticed. They all work fine without changing any settings, and I too use IMGBurn. But why would IMGBurn be automatically doing that? Is IMGBurn designed for Wii game pirates?

P.S. My 100th post! [​IMG]

8. Zeek03

Member Zeek03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No one ever said Wii games can't run off of DVD+R. People just say use Dvd-R because alot of noobs don't know how to change booktype. I have burned plenty of games on DVD+R and -R. It doesn't really matter...

9. xem1x

Member xem1x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DVD+R works fine for me. If it works, continue to use. [​IMG]

10. rAiN mAn 2o0o

Member rAiN mAn 2o0o GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have burned thousands of DVD's in my life time for one purpose or another... and not a single one of them has ever been a dvd-r!!! all of my backups of my games are DVD+R.. burned with either nero 7 or imgburn... never had a single problem...

11. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Some burners auto bitset +r to rom and others don't, Pioneers for example don't with standard firmware.

12. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I've burned dozens of DVD+R.
    And they work just fine, both on a hardmodded and a softmodded wii

13. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    my dvd+r have a slightly less space for data on them then my isos how would you fit this iso thats to big for a dvd+r on a dvd+r? can i compress it somehow?

14. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You can find out easily enough which booktype your disc has after the burn - grab DVDINFOPRO...

I've never had problems with DVD+R and DVD+R booktype on wasabi or wiikey mod chips... but have had issues with Drivekey.

Wiipower is probably right - if you have a mod chip which injects code in to the controller... (ie - pre-drivekey/flatmod/wasabidx/sunkey...) you can get away with +R booktype - otherwise not.

Bitsetting is a function of drive firmware, depending on your drive, imgburn may or may not be able to set it.

15. capuuz

Newcomer capuuz Member

United States
    I also have used dvd+Rs and they have worked great without changing the book type or any other setting.

Posts merged

I also have used dvd+Rs and they have worked great without changing the book type or any other setting.

16. WiiPower

Germany
    I said:

Seriously, we don't need the discussion that the need for bitsetting on DVD+Rs is a myth. I thought we are past that. Stop posting the 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    00 time that DVD+Rs work fine.

17. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    The issues and answers thread that has been there from the beginning states on page 1 :

Code:
    Every single new person to the scene asks about discs. Use DVD-R discs as they are most reliable. DVD re-writables dont work 90% of the time and its best to totally avoid them if u dont want headaches. DVD+R can work , but its not a guarantee and you may waste a lot of discs trying to get them working. The best brand recommended by almost everyone is Verbatim DVD-R. Use the free program IMGBurn to burn the ISO at Max speed to being - any issues try reducing the speed (usually older drives) .
    *Addition to above* - David has written a new write up on burning DVDs for Wii including software, do's and donts , speeds and everything else you will need here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129239

All of this has been said over and over and over - the OP has just assumed and not does his research. someone close this thread - its pointless.

18. rAiN mAn 2o0o

Member rAiN mAn 2o0o GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you find it pointless, then why are you taking the time to add your two cents? I just find that funny. talking about doing your research... DVD+R is superior to -r when it comes to compatibility and lifespan due to the complexity of the ink compounds within the disc...

19. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Myself and others have answered this issue over 50 times on the issues and answers thread (and others) already , and every time someone posts we say the same thing, and yet more post again , and we still answer. If he had done a quick search he would find multiple discussions about this with graphs , statistics and proof of quite a lot.

As for research , yes i have done mine and though on a PC DVD+R gets better statistics , on a wii it generally fails. You can have 2 wii's modded the same way and a DVD+R will work on one and not on another with no apparrent difference at all, though DVD-R will work on both. Its not the Discs , its the Wii dvd readers that cause the issues , so even though the discs may be superior, a lot of wii's doesnt like them and recommending them can cause people hours and hours of headaches just because someone told them dvd+r discs work.

Again , this has been discussed and discussed and discussed and the conclusion every time is the same - DVD+r's do work on some wii's but not all and as such are not good to be recommended for general usage as dvd-r work on all with a decent brand.