DVD+R vs. DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FlamingBalls, Nov 17, 2008.

1. FlamingBalls
    OP

FlamingBalls Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2008
    Canada
    Does DVD-R and DVD+R really have much differences? I've been using DVD+Rs and they're been working fine, but I've read in several places that it's "bad" for your Wii and has more compatibility issues. Can anyone confirm these for me?
    Thanks

2. zerof

zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    I think they just have compatibility issues.. I'm not too sure about being "bad" for your wii.

3. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    That's weird because DVD+R is supposed to be the better of the two. But I don't think either could harm your Wii.

4. Notorious9i6

Notorious9i6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2006
    United States
    well there is a higher chance it would work when your using DVD-R's,
    And from what i have been seeing DVD+R's is more harmful to the wii lasers than DVD-R's

5. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    I don't think either is bad for the wii , but the wii can't read a +r disk unless you change the book type to -r

6. Ashlee

Ashlee Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2008
    United States
    DVD-R has worked for me better than DVD+R, when I burned Mario kart on a DVD+R it freezed sometimes in the Intro video, I burned it in DVD-R and the problem never happened again. Also with Disaster Day of Crisis on a loading screen of the second level, the game would freeze, I burned in DVD-R and it was perfect. I don't know the difference between both DVDs but DVD-R are better.

7. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
  8. knigitz

knigitz Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2007
    United States
    I've used various DVD+R in the past and they worked on my old (hard-modded) Wii. With my new Wii which is only soft-modded none of a certain type DVD+R work, it sucks and I'm not sure why. I posted a thread earlier this month with some details of my DVDs which I've found not to work 100% of the time when soft modded. They still work 100% on my hard modded Wii.

9. SWORD21

SWORD21 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States
    All I know is that DVD+R is only writable, whereas the DVD-R is rewritable. I don't think either will harm any wii.

10. anbu41

anbu41 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2008
    United States
    Uhhh... last time I checked, only DVD+/-RW are the rewritable ones.